DNS Server on W2K - The exception generated was c0000017 at address 77F9C170 (RtlIsValidIndexHandle)

• Hi - hope someone can help. Since last Sunday, our DNS server has been stopping with an event id of 7031 - The DNS Server service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  

DNS is causing a DRWatson error of 

The application, dns.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 06/29/2013 @ 10:02:05.002 The exception generated was c0000017 at address 77F9C170 (RtlIsValidIndexHandle) 

The machine is a primary domain controller running Windows Server 2000 service pack 4. We've never had problems with this machine before.

I cannot find anything really relevant on search engines regarding the DrWatson.

Does anyone know of a cause or fix for this?

Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hello,

having no problems until now, then you are really lucky. Get RID of this old NOT supported OS version from a DC.

Is that server rebooted and running, what have you done until now? Please provide more information about the current status of the server.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog:

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Hi...

server has been rebooted, chkdsk is fine, no virus or trojan. Appears to happen every 12 hours, so I suspect it might be something with one of the secondary domains.

What I'm really interested in is the RtlIsValidIndexHandle error and what that might point to.

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" which is one of the many reasons I haven't attempted to upgrade the server. The whole setup is rather complex, as most things are, and everything hangs on a thread.

Monday, July 01, 2013 12:21 AM