none
How do I know when DPM is done cataloging SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• How do I know when DPM is done cataloging a SharePoint backup? If the answer is a database query, please provide the query.

Please mark my response as an answer if appropriate.
    Learn.SharePoint.com

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Just make a custom query to only show sharepoint catalog tasks.  If it's not a catastrophic failure, then the wsscmdletswrapper.exe should bypass the problematic DB and continue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The catalog process is by default set to run 3 hours after every express full backup for the farm.  You can look at job history to see when it starts / completes.

You can modify the delay time. The powershell script below sets the incremental catalog to run at 30 minutes after the express full recovery point for that farm.

$pg = Get-protectiongroup -dpmservername Your-dpmserver-name
    $pg
    $mpg = Get-ModifiableProtectionGroup $pg[X]     (Where X is zero based number of the returned PG names listed – select the sharepoint PG)
    Set-ProtectionJobStartTime –ProtectionGroup $mpg –CatalogOffset 30 
    Set-Protectiongroup $mpg

After this runs, future catalog jobs will be scheduled to run after 30 minutes of every express full backup.

If that catalog process fails, you will get an alert.

SAMPLE ALERT

Affected area:    Sharepoint Farm\fs01\SharePoint_Config
    Occurred since:  DATE  TIME
    Description:        DPM failed to gather item level catalog for 1 database(s) of the SharePoint Farm Sharepoint Farm\fs01\SharePoint_Config on fs01.nwtraders.com. Your recovery point is valid, but you will be unable to perform item-level recoveries using this recovery point. (ID 3133)
    Date inactivated:              DATE  TIME
    Recommended action:    No action is required because this alert is inactive.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:17 AM
  • Is it true that any problem in any content database results in a total item-level restore failure for the entire protection group? I would hope that I would just not be able to do item-level recovery FROM THAT DB.

Also, is the job history inside the user interface or is that a SQL/logfile view? I do not see any user interface changes when I manually start a catalog job or when it completes.

Please mark my response as an answer if appropriate.
    Learn.SharePoint.com

Friday, July 27, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

Just make a custom query to only show sharepoint catalog tasks.  If it's not a catastrophic failure, then the wsscmdletswrapper.exe should bypass the problematic DB and continue.

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:22 PM