Copy/Move Folder To RRS feed

• Question

• I'm finally upgrading from XP.I've ripped my CD's to an external hard drive how do I "copy to"my c drive.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:09 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry I should've been more detailed in my question.I've installed W7 and want to copy music files to my music folder from a external hard drive,with XP you highlight and click on edit to copy to a new location but I don't see that anywhere on W7.

sorry it took me a bit to get back to you but this feature still does exist but first you have to bring up the menus and to do that open the folder(windows explorer) then at the top go to the pull down menu "Organize>Layout" and check "Menu bar" then it is located under the "Edit" menu. then just click/select on the item(s)/folder(s) you wish to move/copy and go to "Edit>Copy/Move to folder" and place it in the desired location. Have fun :)
    • Proposed as answer by JJTech Friday, July 17, 2009 10:18 AM
    • Edited by JJTech Friday, July 17, 2009 10:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:55 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 10:18 AM

All replies

• you have to burn it to dvdr then boot off the disc for you to be able to install w7.
    • Proposed as answer by JJTech Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:25 AM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:25 AM
  • I'm sorry I should've been more detailed in my question.I've installed W7 and want to copy music files to my music folder from a external hard drive,with XP you highlight and click on edit to copy to a new location but I don't see that anywhere on W7.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:23 AM
  • It works for me the same way it worked under XP.
    In Windows Explorer, just highlight what u want to copy and dragNdrop to where u want it copied.
    The only caution is in copying executables (.EXE) files. SOMETIMES it will copy them and sometimes it will just make a shortcut.
    It was predictable under XP, but I have had occasion when it should have copied but instead made a shortcut.
    Using rt clk all the time, u can select what u want.

Or u can highlight, rt clk on any one of the files and select COPY, then go to the folder of choice, rt clk in/on the folder and select PASTE.

I have never clicked on EDIT to do a copy though.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:38 PM
  • The problem is that in Vista that Microsoft foolishly decided not to place this function on the main Windows Explorer toolbar, and it hasn't changed since then. The solution is to allow ALL features to be accessible on the main toolbar/right-click without having to use the menu bar. Please take a look at the discussion here:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/2479
    • Proposed as answer by broccauley Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:32 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Or you can add the music folder on your external to your music library. Go to your music library in Windows Explorer. At the top under title click on the link that has something like: 2 locations . The go and add the music folder on your external to the music library and there you go. Also will be available in wmp and windows media centre
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:08 AM

sorry it took me a bit to get back to you but this feature still does exist but first you have to bring up the menus and to do that open the folder(windows explorer) then at the top go to the pull down menu "Organize>Layout" and check "Menu bar" then it is located under the "Edit" menu. then just click/select on the item(s)/folder(s) you wish to move/copy and go to "Edit>Copy/Move to folder" and place it in the desired location. Have fun :)
    • Proposed as answer by JJTech Friday, July 17, 2009 10:18 AM
    • Edited by JJTech Friday, July 17, 2009 10:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:55 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2009 10:18 AM