Machines not removed from AD when reimaged - Not Installing client- how to resolve client not installing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, i have across a machine that does not have the sccm agent installed, but states on the server that it is installed. Now I am assuming that someone in the team reimaged but did not remove from AD. If this is the case, how do i resolve this? I have 2,000 clients so need to know how widespread this is.

i checked the client logs but there are no ccm/sccm entries. I know i could probably remove from SCCM then run a Discovery Method, but if there are more out there, i need to find a fix potentially. The client is not installed on the image. Boundarys all set ok.

SCCM 2012 R2

Cheers

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 6:06 PM

Answers

• If you're not installing the client during the operating system deployment and only through the automatic client push, than you need to make sure that the object doesn't exist anymore within ConfigMgr. So, remove it from the active directory and from ConfigMgr before the deployment. That will make sure that with a new discovery after the operating system deployment, the automatic client push will be triggered.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Marked as answer by Daniel JiSun Monday, May 11, 2015 7:20 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 6:17 PM
  • You could create a new collection with a query to find out when a clients last heartbeat was or maybe hardware inventory data age? This isn't going to completely solve the problem, but it will narrow down which clients your after. The queries I have below have an age value of greater than or equal to 30 days. Just increase this obviously to query for clients that haven't reported back in longer amounts of time.

Heartbeat Query

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where AgentName in ("Heartbeat Discovery") and DATEDIFF(day,AgentTime,GetDate())>=30

Hardware Inventory Scan Date Query

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where ResourceId in (select SMS_R_System.ResourceID from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_WORKSTATION_STATUS on SMS_G_System_WORKSTATION_STATUS.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where DATEDIFF(dd,SMS_G_System_WORKSTATION_STATUS.LastHardwareScan,GetDate()) > 30)

Its also likely that clients in this situation will be marked by Config Manager as inactive. So you could also just sort by your inactive clients but this again will have a % of error as your inactive clients may be a result of workstations being off your network for a prolonged period of time or simply turned off.

If you can ping a client that has a hardware inventory age of greater than 30 days but you have a client policy to run it say daily, then you could argue they fall into the category your after.

You could also look at this outside of the Console all together. A possible option could be to use a startup / login script to check for the presence of the Config Manager client and then install it if its not (there are quite a few about). If you're not comfortable with this, then you could use a startup / login script to check for the presence of the client and write say a hostname or something similar to a text file.

Cheers

Damon

• Edited by Damon. Johns Wednesday, April 29, 2015 2:23 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 2:15 AM

All replies

• If you're not installing the client during the operating system deployment and only through the automatic client push, than you need to make sure that the object doesn't exist anymore within ConfigMgr. So, remove it from the active directory and from ConfigMgr before the deployment. That will make sure that with a new discovery after the operating system deployment, the automatic client push will be triggered.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 6:17 PM
  • Hi Peter. Thats is what i was thinking. But lets say there are 50 machines on the network that were imaged/not removed from AD. How do i find this out?

Cheers

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:30 PM
  • You could create a new collection with a query to find out when a clients last heartbeat was or maybe hardware inventory data age? This isn't going to completely solve the problem, but it will narrow down which clients your after. The queries I have below have an age value of greater than or equal to 30 days. Just increase this obviously to query for clients that haven't reported back in longer amounts of time.

Heartbeat Query

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where AgentName in ("Heartbeat Discovery") and DATEDIFF(day,AgentTime,GetDate())>=30

Hardware Inventory Scan Date Query

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where ResourceId in (select SMS_R_System.ResourceID from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_WORKSTATION_STATUS on SMS_G_System_WORKSTATION_STATUS.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where DATEDIFF(dd,SMS_G_System_WORKSTATION_STATUS.LastHardwareScan,GetDate()) > 30)

Its also likely that clients in this situation will be marked by Config Manager as inactive. So you could also just sort by your inactive clients but this again will have a % of error as your inactive clients may be a result of workstations being off your network for a prolonged period of time or simply turned off.

If you can ping a client that has a hardware inventory age of greater than 30 days but you have a client policy to run it say daily, then you could argue they fall into the category your after.

You could also look at this outside of the Console all together. A possible option could be to use a startup / login script to check for the presence of the Config Manager client and then install it if its not (there are quite a few about). If you're not comfortable with this, then you could use a startup / login script to check for the presence of the client and write say a hostname or something similar to a text file.

Cheers

Damon

• Edited by Damon. Johns Wednesday, April 29, 2015 2:23 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 2:15 AM