none
Different Calendars within the same project? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project that will be carried out at 2 locations. One location works a standard 8 hour day M-F. The other location does a 12hour day, 7 days a week.

I have set up a separate calendar for the 12hr location and assigned it to a task.

As an example I have a task that needs to take 5 days at the 12hr location. My problem is that because the standard work day for the project is 8hrs Project makes the task 4 days long (4 x 12 = 48) even though it is defined as 5 days. How do I fix this so the task runs for 5 days?

Monday, April 25, 2016 1:29 PM

All replies

• Mizukiman,

Well, you don't. Project only allows one definition for a "day". I suggest you use "hour" instead of "day" for all durations. That setting option is under File/Options/Schedule group.

However if you really need to see durations (and work) as days expressed in the units appropriate for the location, you can set up a custom field with a formula that examines the Task calendar field and then converts the Duration field to "Days". This formula in the Text1 field should do it

IIf([Task Calendar]="None" Or [Task Calendar]="Standard",[Duration]/480,[Duration]/720) & " days"

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, April 25, 2016 2:25 PM
  • You cannot have two different definitions of "1 Day" for two different locations.

Once there is a number of hours defined as "1 Day", in file, options, schedule, that's it. It is a conversion factor so that MSP knows how to interpret "1 Day" in hours, because "1 Day" is ambiguous but hours is not. There can only be one conversion factor.

For the other location, specify duration as 6o hours instead of days.

Any help.

Monday, April 25, 2016 2:27 PM