none
A little group policy guidance needed

Question

• Hi,

I've just started tinkering with GPO for the first time on a Windows 2008 server - I understand what GPO is and some of the controls, I'm just having a little difficulty getting my head around the process of amending or creating a GPO.

To start with, I want to make three small changes - I have a need to enable control panel for a group of users, I need to update the IE settings to include 'play sound in web pages' for all users and I also need to change/find a policy which restricts users from increasing font/icon/text sizes etc 

So far, I have figured out if I navigate to GPM>Domain>Group Policy Objects>Staff I can see the 'staff' policy which has the Control panel 'hidden' applied - If I right click on this policy it opens up the editor (winning so far!)  - I assume the next step is to go to 'User Configuration' and select Administrative Templates>Control Panel, in here I can see 'Prohibit access to the control panel', great! Except it's currently set to 'disabled' but still we cannot access the Control Panel, I'm a bit stuck here.

With the other things I need to change, I can't even find the original GPO to be able to try and edit - Is there an easy way to find these? 

The current GPO system on this server seems to be fairly straight forward in terms of what it actually has, basically there are 'users, staff and admins', I can't see any computer configurations that would block any access, again I'm assuming here but if there was  a computer configuration would it default to that from a permissions perspective hence why my control panel setting isn't working?

any help appreciated

thanks

Rich

• Edited by Richeepee Monday, October 31, 2016 6:10 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 2:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• why not run a gpresult for affected user & pc to see what policies are actually applied? that way you can work backwards to identify. gpresults wizard in gpmc would be the best option.

Windows Server 2008: group policy results wizard - YouTube

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Tuesday, November 1, 2016 2:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jay GuModerator Monday, November 7, 2016 11:55 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 8:29 PM
  • Hi Rich,

So far, I have figured out if I navigate to GPM>Domain>Group Policy Objects>Staff I can see the 'staff' policy which has the Control panel 'hidden' applied - If I right click on this policy it opens up the editor (winning so far!)  - I assume the next step is to go to 'User Configuration' and select Administrative Templates>Control Panel, in here I can see 'Prohibit access to the control panel', great! Except it's currently set to 'disabled' but still we cannot access the Control Panel, I'm a bit stuck here

>>>First, the “staff” is an USER OU, and the GPO which you edited is linked to the “staff” OU.

In addition, did you have configured loopback mode for those computers, which the user logon.

I suggest you run gpresult /h C:\gpreport.html to check if the policy has been applied. And post the report to us for further research.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:22 AM