McAfee Total Protection for Small Business Update Script? RRS feed

• Question

• Where can I find information on where to obtain or how to create a custom update script for McAfee Total Protection for Small Business, in order to allow updates to that product while WDP is turned on?

Or, alternatively, is there a (registry?) setting I can change to allow changes to one specific folder?  (i.e. C:\Program Files\McAfee...)
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:37 PM

Answers

•  

Hi, SteadyState includes scripts for updating the following security products:

·         Computer Associates eTrust 7.0

·         McAfee VirusScan

·         Windows Defender

·         TrendMicro 7.0

For these product with different version, as they haven’t been tested, we cannot guarantee the original scripts still work. For other security products which are not officially supported by SteadyState, you can refer to your antivirus software manual to prepare a update script. Please also pay attention to the updates in this forum. Some customer will share their scripts with us. You can check if JC’s script in the following thread works for your Norton Antivirus.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1763308&SiteID=69

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:10 AM

All replies

•  

Hi, SteadyState includes scripts for updating the following security products:

·         Computer Associates eTrust 7.0

·         McAfee VirusScan

·         Windows Defender

·         TrendMicro 7.0

For these product with different version, as they haven’t been tested, we cannot guarantee the original scripts still work. For other security products which are not officially supported by SteadyState, you can refer to your antivirus software manual to prepare a update script. Please also pay attention to the updates in this forum. Some customer will share their scripts with us. You can check if JC’s script in the following thread works for your Norton Antivirus.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1763308&SiteID=69

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:10 AM
  • We use McAfee Enterprise 8.5i and the script supplied with SteadyState didn't work for me either. Starting with the supplied script, and using info from here, I came up with a script that works for us. Here is a code sample:

Option Explicit

'On Error Resume Next

Dim sMcAfeePath, oShell

' Create objects
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' Find application path
    sMcAfeePath = oShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\szInstallDir")

' Execute update
    call oShell.Run(chr(34) & sMcAfeePath & "\mcupdate.exe" & chr(34) & " /task {21221C11-A06D-4558-B833-98E8C7F6C4D2} /update /quiet")

' Wait 10 minutes
    WScript.Sleep 600000

EvolutionMS wrote:
    Where can I find information on where to obtain or how to create a custom update script for McAfee Total Protection for Small Business, in order to allow updates to that product while WDP is turned on?

Or, alternatively, is there a (registry?) setting I can change to allow changes to one specific folder?  (i.e. C:\Program Files\McAfee...)

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:47 PM