none
DNS Problem affecting domain controller redunduncy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all 

i came to this place and this is the case

3 domain controllers - 2 additional winserver 2012 r2 standard the main pdc is upgraded from win server 2008 and 1 win server r2 data center  

all of them are dns servers everyone is set to be primary dns server

they sync each other 

but whenever the main dc is down ,,, non of the additional take responsibility and functions as PDC  also that thet nelogon and sysvol folders are not auto. created and shared and i read that this could be a dns problem

i was wondering of the structure of the dns is right ?

should i make one primary zone and add to active directory and the rest are secondary zones ?

i revised the needed records for a healthy domain from this topic and all the records seemed fine except for kerberos record and i ve added it 

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/servergeeks/2014/07/12/dns-records-that-are-required-for-proper-functionality-of-active-directory/

or is its ok if they are all primary and the problem could be something else 

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>all of them are dns servers everyone is set to be primary dns server

they sync each other 

Does them configure as AD-integrated zone?

>>i was wondering of the structure of the dns is right ?

What is your clients' dns? Point to DC?

E.g  dc1 dc2  dc3

client 

preferred dns :dc1
    alternate dns  :dc2

Or configure dns address list in the figure below:

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 9, 2018 8:20 AM
  • yes all of them are active directory intergated

clients are set up for 2 dns only  primary and alternative

so is it right to be configured like this ?

shouldn't be one primary ad integrated and rest are secondary ?

does this prevent the secondary DCs from taking responsibility when the main is down ?

Friday, February 9, 2018 12:00 PM
  • i just found out something ... the DNS on the additional DC is set to 

when i try to change it to replicate to all domain controller in this domain i get this error 

Friday, February 9, 2018 4:05 PM
  • Hi,

>>clients are set up for 2 dns only  primary and alternative

It is ok.

>>shouldn't be one primary ad integrated and rest are secondary ?

Domain Name System (DNS) servers running on domain controllers can store their zones in Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS). In this way, it is not necessary to configure a separate DNS replication topology that uses ordinary DNS zone transfers because all zone data is replicated automatically by means of Active Directory replication.

It is not necessary for rest are secondary.It is also available for AD-integrated dns server.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 12, 2018 2:31 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, February 19, 2018 7:37 AM
  • Hello dear

Go to event viewer on DC1 ( The one that acts as pdc ), in application and service logs section if there is any error message in DFS replication or File replication service post it here please 

It could be related to sysvol and netlogon issues.
    Monday, March 5, 2018 8:22 AM