How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing the Windows Image in Audit Mode? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the current version of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v1809 updated to build 17763.134) in a virtual machine with an autounattend.xml script booting into Audit Mode after first reboot to customize the image!

I then installed all the updates for Windows and Modern Apps in Audit Mode and I changed a few settings (I didn't pin/unpin any Apps to the Start Menu as I would like to preserve the Default Layout)! I used an unattend.xml during SysPrep which copies my customized settings to the Default user account (CopyProfile)! After capture, I booted into the customised image and completed OOBE and I found that the new user account has my customized settings, but some of the apps pinned to the Start Menu by default wasn't pinned anymore or was displaying a download button which opens the Tips app with the following message: "What's going on with my Apps? If apps on the Start menu don’t open while you’re setting up your PC or they display the download icon, sit tight. Most likely, the app is being installed or updated and it will be available soon"!

How can I preserve the default start menu layout during he customisation process? Keep in mind that I am using the CopyProfile option with SysPrep!

Please, I would just like the simplest solution to preserve the Windows Default Start Menu Layout during customization (Audit Mode) and SysPrep!

Friday, December 14, 2018 3:24 PM

Answers

• I reinstalled Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine, but this time without an active internet connection, I made customizations, installed language features and updates offline - then I SysPreped and it preserved the default Start Menu!

Modern Apps are not meant to be installed in Audit Mode!
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Durand Thursday, December 20, 2018 12:36 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Arthur,

Thanks for posting here.

Using CopyProfile for Start menu customization isn't supported. we can use group policy.

Please check this:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/yongrhee/2018/03/12/windows-10-using-copyprofile-for-the-start-menu-has-been-deprecated/

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 17, 2018 3:30 AM
  • I'm fine with the fact that CopyProfile doesn't copy the Start Menu or taskbar, but it doesn't explain then why SysPrep breaks the Default Layout for new users that get created after OOBE!

Perhaps you didn't read or understood my question properly? I don't need to customize the Start Menu or taskbar! I just need SysPrep not to break the Default Layout!
    Monday, December 17, 2018 9:01 AM
  • I repeated the installation of Windows 10, all the Store Apps installed and updated since my VM has an active internet connection, all Windows Updates and Optional Components installed and I SysPrep'ed the image this time without the CopyProfile option in the unattend.xml!

I didn't pin or unpin any apps prior to Sysprep, yet after completing OOBE I find that all of the pinned apps are displaying tiles with a down arrow and opens the Tips App with the following message: "What's going on with my Apps? If apps on the Start menu don’t open while you’re setting up your PC or they display the download icon, sit tight. Most likely, the app is being installed or updated and it will be available soon"!

Is there any way around this issue?
    Monday, December 17, 2018 11:16 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replying.

After done research about your description, this phenomenon should be a change made on windows 10 later version to make the first login experience better. Some of the first login initializations have been postponed, so please wait some time and  the arrows will be good.

If you are connected to the Internet, you can link to the external network to check it.

Make sure the windows firewall service is enabled.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:09 AM
  • I figured out how to Customize the Start Menu Layout and discovered that my problem is also related to my other post here!
    • Edited by Arthur Durand Wednesday, December 19, 2018 12:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Durand Wednesday, December 19, 2018 5:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Arthur Durand Thursday, December 20, 2018 12:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 12:58 PM
  • I reinstalled Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine, but this time without an active internet connection, I made customizations, installed language features and updates offline - then I SysPreped and it preserved the default Start Menu!

Modern Apps are not meant to be installed in Audit Mode!
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Durand Thursday, December 20, 2018 12:36 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,

Friday, December 21, 2018 7:17 AM