none
all systems suffering with broken url on microsoft server - repair required RRS feed

• Question

• there is a broken url on the Microsoft server that is currently affecting most windows operating systems:

When you boot up your system you will see it is flooded with event id 131  metadata staging failed

I have tracked this down to the following url:   microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=252669+clcid=0x409

which is the device meta data url:

this link is in the following registry key:  I cannot post the link as I am not permitted:  it contains Link ID 252669&clcid = 0x409 and can be easily viewed via the registry key as shown

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE - SOFTWARE-MICROSOFT-WINDOWS-CURRENT VERSION-DEVICE METADATA

Because the link in the registry is unable to function is generating the event 131 -  I have tried calling Microsoft several times to report the malfunctioning url and told the community site is the best place to get this url repaired because it will be viewed by engineers and moderators.

I hope someone reads this and points me in the right direction.  I have put a lot of research into the culprit generating the errors and many people on the community site are also raising this issue since 9.00 am uk time 6th May

Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Mazda, you need to specify which product you are using. Microsoft has many server products. Then you need to find the appropriate forum, which I would try to assist you with if I had a clue which specific product you are concerned about. Maybe a version of Windows Server?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, May 8, 2015 10:34 AM
  • Thank you sir

I am using Windows 8 operating system  but many people are facing this issue also on other Windows operating systems:  Your forwarding url on your server is corrupt is some way,

I am posting links to 2 forums you may read so you may gather as much information as you need:  If you do not get all the information you need from these links, please do get back to me as I want a resolve to this issue:

This forwarding url was corrupt last September and you fixed it  within 3 days of my report.  You will note from the windows eight forum thread I am sending you that if you read from page 6 onwards, this malfunctioning forwarding url went down again on your server on 6th May 9.30 am approx. uk time:

people tampering with registry keys and turning off hardware updates to stop event ID 131 ~ metadata staging failed~  is not the ideal way to fix the windows operating system.

I hope you agree:

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/53670-continues-errors-startup-metadata-staging-failed-10.html?s=9908856efb723fbb8c6ea030e04ea65f

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/broken-url-on-microsoft-service-is-generating/bf1aafcf-0c3d-43e6-8640-576e8d02659d

I appreciate your further assistance with this serious issue  Thank You

Sunday, May 10, 2015 10:23 AM
  • In support of Mazda I wish to confirm that many users are facing this issue:  Once gain the fowarding url in the registry for Device Metadata is malfunctioning.  You will find all the details in the links he has sent you.

Users coming up with temporary fixes to change registry keys and alter hardware update tasks is not the correct way to repair the windows operating system.  This happened - the self and same link on 16th September 2014 and you fixed it after 3 days.  This time the repair does not seem to be forthcoming.

This is a serious issue affecting hundreds of windows users it is not just affecting windows 8  I have confirmed this with the Answer Desk they cannot make the forwarding link function for them on their systems either, but did not seem over interested in reporting the broken link to pro-level.

Most definitely a Microsoft issue -  please do take time to read the forums

thank you for your continued assistance

Sunday, May 10, 2015 10:44 AM
  • I agree this url requires a repair
    Sunday, May 10, 2015 5:00 PM
  • I agree this url requires a repair

this issue has now been reported to Microsoft Level 3 for repair.  Hope this helps.  They have confirmed this is an issue
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:53 AM