Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Returned Constant BSOD With 8GB RAM RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought Windows 7 Ultimate Retail and installed it onto my Acer Aspire 5741G, Intel Core i5 520M Processor, 500HDD, 1GB nVidia Geforce GT320M Graphic Card. I constantly got BSOD when installed 8GB RAM. Tried with 4GB and it work well. Installed 6GB it work well and random BSOD while playing games.

Used verifier.exe to check all third party drivers and got these BSOD information:

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000C4 (0X00000000000000F6, 0x0000000000000074, 0xFFFFFA800AB6DB30, 0xFFFFF88005FD87D9)

*** AVGIDSDriver.sys - Address FFFFF88005FD87D9 base FFFFF88005FC2000, DateStamp 4be9fb28

May i know whether it is my AVG caused the problem or my new memory card caused the problem?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:09 AM

Answers

• Yes, the debugger pins the verifier violation that prompted the bugcheck on AVGIDSDriver.sys, because it was caught as "A driver references a user-mode handle as kernel mode. 

Can you upload the FULL contents of c:\windows\minidump to your SkyDrive and provide a link? It would be good to see some dumps that occurred, when verifier was not enabled.

For dealing with Blue Screens, general guidance follows:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions.  Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date (including video drivers), as well as ensuring that you're  using the latest BIOS. 

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily  good memory - it just hasn't failed a test.  Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of  modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

It can be helpful to use Driver Verifier.  To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings- >Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out  of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem.  In the event that the system does not boot  completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload it to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

• Marked as answer by jaguar74 Friday, July 9, 2010 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Dear No.Compromise, i tried to install back my 8GB RAM today and i got NETIO.sys BSOD. The funny thing is when using 8GB ram, i got BSOD before i even log on to Windows 7. When using 6GB ram, it can log on.

I've tested with Windows Memory Diagnostic and it shown no errors. Am not testing the memory with MemTest86+ and it is still running. Will let you know the result.

I will try to upload the dumps files into SkyDrive and let you know when it is done as i'm not able to access my laptop now.

Will also try SFC /SCANNOW later.

I just bought my laptop back in May 2010 and I believed the drivers should be up to date but will check again.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Your dumps show evidence of memory corruption. Try disabling verifier on the AVG driver, but leave it turned on on the rest, should be the behavior recur.  Or, completely remove AVG and check the stability there.

Further test the RAM - test each module independently in each slot, with memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostic.  Run with a subset of installed RAM to attempt to isolate/identify a module that may be contributing to the stability issues.  Note that RAM that passes a memory test isn't proven to be "good" RAM - it's just RAM that hasn't failed a test.  Double-check RAM-related settings - timing, voltage, etc. Ensure the RAM is compatible with your motherboard.  If you're overclocking, stop.  Perhaps, note current BIOS settings, and then reset BIOS defaults, restoring the settings you know should be changed.  Ensure you're using the most recent BIOS.

• Proposed as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by jaguar74 Friday, July 9, 2010 5:41 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Hi No.Compromise, I can't load www.skydrive.live.com. when typing the address into web browser, nothing had happened. just empty page.

You can visit skydrive via http://skydrive.live.com to upload the dump file.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by jaguar74 Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:58 AM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Swapping the RAM and getting a different outcome is an indication that the RAM was faulty or not compatible.  For best results, go with matching RAM.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:45 AM

All replies

• Yes, the debugger pins the verifier violation that prompted the bugcheck on AVGIDSDriver.sys, because it was caught as "A driver references a user-mode handle as kernel mode. 

Can you upload the FULL contents of c:\windows\minidump to your SkyDrive and provide a link? It would be good to see some dumps that occurred, when verifier was not enabled.

For dealing with Blue Screens, general guidance follows:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions.  Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date (including video drivers), as well as ensuring that you're  using the latest BIOS. 

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily  good memory - it just hasn't failed a test.  Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of  modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

It can be helpful to use Driver Verifier.  To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings- >Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out  of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem.  In the event that the system does not boot  completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload it to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Dear No.Compromise, i tried to install back my 8GB RAM today and i got NETIO.sys BSOD. The funny thing is when using 8GB ram, i got BSOD before i even log on to Windows 7. When using 6GB ram, it can log on.

I've tested with Windows Memory Diagnostic and it shown no errors. Am not testing the memory with MemTest86+ and it is still running. Will let you know the result.

I will try to upload the dumps files into SkyDrive and let you know when it is done as i'm not able to access my laptop now.

Will also try SFC /SCANNOW later.

I just bought my laptop back in May 2010 and I believed the drivers should be up to date but will check again.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Hi No.Compromise, one more think i need to tell you. The BSOD for AVGIDSDriver.sys was the result of enabling Verifier.exe and the problem is the computer freeze after the BSOD and stopped at Initializing System Dump???
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Hi No.Compromise, I can't load www.skydrive.live.com. when typing the address into web browser, nothing had happened. just empty page.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Dear No.Compromise, i've uploaded the Mini Dump Files here http://www.mediafire.com/?j2glo3ytwuo

please help me to check. thanks.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:27 AM
  • I've run SFC /SCANNOW and found no problem. Tested the memory module with MemTest86+ and found no errors. just got another BSOD with win32k.sys
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Dear No.Compromise, i really cannot stand the BSOD anymore. am now trying to reformat my laptop and reinstall the program one by one and see what causes the problem.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Your dumps show evidence of memory corruption. Try disabling verifier on the AVG driver, but leave it turned on on the rest, should be the behavior recur.  Or, completely remove AVG and check the stability there.

Further test the RAM - test each module independently in each slot, with memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostic.  Run with a subset of installed RAM to attempt to isolate/identify a module that may be contributing to the stability issues.  Note that RAM that passes a memory test isn't proven to be "good" RAM - it's just RAM that hasn't failed a test.  Double-check RAM-related settings - timing, voltage, etc. Ensure the RAM is compatible with your motherboard.  If you're overclocking, stop.  Perhaps, note current BIOS settings, and then reset BIOS defaults, restoring the settings you know should be changed.  Ensure you're using the most recent BIOS.

• Proposed as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:02 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:28 AM

You can visit skydrive via http://skydrive.live.com to upload the dump file.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by jaguar74 Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:58 AM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Dear No.Compromise, today, I've sent back the 2pcs of RAM I bought from the Vendor for them to exchange. I've reinstalled everything using my old memory and it work fine now. Probably is the memory fault. By the way, my existing RAM specs is DDR3 PC8500 1066MHZ but the one i bought from the Vendor is DDR3 PC10600 1333MHZ. Do you think that may caused the problem? Here is my laptop's specs:-

Acer Aspire 5741G, Intel Core i5 520M Processor, Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset (am running the latest Bios now), nVidia Geforce GT320M Graphic Card, 4GB DDR3 8500 1066MHZ, 500HDD, WiFi (Atheros), Bluetooth (BroadCom).

Please advise.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:58 AM
  • Swapping the RAM and getting a different outcome is an indication that the RAM was faulty or not compatible.  For best results, go with matching RAM.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:45 AM
  • Please see my comment in the referenced thread about how to use SkyDrive.  Unfortunately, using www. in the front of the URL no longer works.

I don't know why that post hasn't been updated to reflect this.  Sean Zhu - perhaps you can initiate this change, to eliminate confusion regarding the "Use SkyDrive to upload collected files and post screen shot/picture" post at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65?  It would certainly be appreciated!

Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Please see my comment in the referenced thread about how to use SkyDrive.  Unfortunately, using www. in the front of the URL no longer works.

I don't know why that post hasn't been updated to reflect this.  Sean Zhu - perhaps you can initiate this change, to eliminate confusion regarding the "Use SkyDrive to upload collected files and post screen shot/picture" post at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65?  It would certainly be appreciated!

I tried that just a minute, and using "www" did work on my work machine. But I'll still inform our moderator to modify the post based on your information.

Thank you.

Friday, July 9, 2010 12:27 AM
  • Thanks for checking into this, Sean.  I see Dale updated the thread that shows how to use SkyDrive already. :-)

FWIW, Fiddler tells me I get a 404 when I plug in www.skydrive.live.com; the browser just gets a blank page.

Friday, July 9, 2010 1:57 AM