none
XP SP3 and continuos reboots on AMD based systems RRS feed

• General discussion

• Some of you may have heard about continuous reboot loops after upgrading an AMD-based system to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).

This is not a problem with AMD-based systems or AMD CPUs.  The issue is caused by the method in which the original, pre-installed version of Windows XP was customized during manufacturing by some PC Manufacturers (OEMs).  These OEMs loaded a Windows XP image originally created on an Intel-based machine onto computers with AMD processors, and then modified the image incorrectly for AMD CPUs. 

This is an imaging process that has never been supported by Microsoft because of the compatibility problems it can create.

The continual reboot issue was first discovered with the release of Windows XP SP2, and we determined the problem to be a modified registry entry incorrectly set as a result of the imaging process discussed above. During Windows XP SP3 beta testing (see KB888372), we inserted special code into the Windows XP SP3 installation software logic that preserved this registry setting so that customers would not experience this reboot problem again.  However, after the release, we received reports of customers experiencing the same problem when upgrading to Windows XP SP3. After investigating those reports, we discovered additional OEM workarounds to the original issue (see KB888372) that are causing the same problem to occur.

In these additional cases, when Windows XP SP3 is installed, this particular registry value is set to load intelppm.sys automatically (i.e.: at boot time).  When the driver loads on a system with an AMD processor, the system blue screens and instantaneously reboots.

We are working on a filter for Windows Update to detect the specifically affected AMD systems (not all AMD systems are affected, it appears to only be those with an image created on an Intel system and the missing registry key or file), and temporarily prevent these machines from installing Windows XP SP3.  Implementation of the filter us currently slated for the end of May.  Automatic distribution (AU) for XP SP3 is scheduled for implementation later this summer.  We are also investigating a hotfix that can be deployed over Windows Update.

In the meantime, any customers affected by this issue should contact Microsoft Customer Support Services for assistance. 

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:19 AM

All replies

• Mine is OEM but is on the Intel Chip. Also faced the same problem.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:27 AM
  • Shashank, what about all of us on Intel platforms with the same issue?  Why has MS totally abandoned that problem?  Why have you abandoned this thread where you asked for more info and never returned?  I've been emailing you for over a week now on this matter and about the updates in the thread, but you never replied.  The thread is now 18 pages long and growing by the minute!  http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3321844&SiteID=17

What is going to take to get you or someone from MS to get on that thread with some support?  You people are leaving your victims to do all the work for you!!  Work that YOU guys should have done during the Beta period along with the Beta testers!!  C'mon!

Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:54 AM
  •  Mikey Soh wrote:

Mine is OEM but is on the Intel Chip. Also faced the same problem.

Have you been able to recover your PC using the registry key modification mentioned earlier?

Please try and boot with "automatic restart" disabled (select appropriately from the screen obtained by presing F8 during boot up). The continuous reboots basically indicate to a blue screen/ system exception. In order to proceed further, we need to know the bugcheck details from your machine.

Thanks

Shashank

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:58 AM
  •  Shashank Bansal [MSFT] wrote:
     Mikey Soh wrote:

Mine is OEM but is on the Intel Chip. Also faced the same problem.

Have you been able to recover your PC using the registry key modification mentioned earlier?

Please try and boot with "automatic restart" disabled (select appropriately from the screen obtained by presing F8 during boot up). The continuous reboots basically indicate to a blue screen/ system exception. In order to proceed further, we need to know the bugcheck details from your machine.

Thanks

Shashank

Shashank, thanks again for the reply.  I want to state again that I'm not trying to be rude, it's just a very frustrating thing to have happening to so many, that should not be happening.

The Reg key modification of which you speak, as I understand it, is only for AMD platforms, correct?  The mod to delete the intelppm.sys file or the reg tweak for its key?  We're talking about Intel PC's and that doesn't apply to them.

Also, most of us cannot get any dmp files from the BSOD's, apparently they are happening too soon before the OS is loaded so they are not added to the minidump folder.

Can you please monitor that other thread?  I'll ask over there how many can get a dmp file from the BSOD, but I doubt it's more than a couple at most from what I've heard.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:57 PM
  • I was affected by this problem this means every time I do a clean install of my windows xp pro service pack 2 and 3 I'm going to get the BSOD stop error 0x000000A5.My pc was running fine until I upgraded to service pack 3.

Should we who are affected by this problem be getting a correctly working restore CD with xp pro service pack 2?   

Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:45 AM
  •  Eric777 wrote:

I was affected by this problem this means every time I do a clean install of my windows xp pro service pack 2 and 3 I'm going to get the BSOD stop error 0x000000A5.My pc was running fine until I upgraded to service pack 3.

Should we who are affected by this problem be getting a correctly working restore CD with xp pro service pack 2?   

Sorry Eric, but not sure what you're asking.  A 'restore' CD generally only comes with pre-built name brand pre-loaded OS PC's, (unless you make one yourself from a custom built PC).  The restore CD's have nothing to do with this because they don't have SP3 on them, yet.  Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:56 AM
  •  Eric777 wrote:

I was affected by this problem this means every time I do a clean install of my windows xp pro service pack 2 and 3 I'm going to get the BSOD stop error 0x000000A5.My pc was running fine until I upgraded to service pack 3.

I am not aware of the reason that sp2 works and SP3 does not, but the error seems to be the motherboard BIOS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314830

Upgrading the bios is allways contains the ( small ) risk, that the BIOS chip on the motherboard is semi defective.

In that case the bios update will fail and render the computer unbootable.

Personally i have only once encountered this issue with boards that are less than 4 years old.

I have however often encountered this problem with the last generation of Pentium III boards from ASUS.

This was at the time where they vere just turning 5 years. I have upgraded around 300 BIOS in the last 6 years.

Go to the PC or Motherboard manufacurers website to get the newest BIOS.

It is advisable to contact them in advance to make sure there are no warranty issues.

Lars Kruse

IT technician

University of Copenhagen.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 9:59 AM
  •  Clint D. wrote:
     Eric777 wrote:

Sorry Eric, but not sure what you're asking.  A 'restore' CD generally only comes with pre-built name brand pre-loaded OS PC's, (unless you make one yourself from a custom built PC).  The restore CD's have nothing to do with this because they don't have SP3 on them, yet.  Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.

When I install windows xp pro sp2 from my restore cd I have to install a sp2 fix and now when I install sp3 I have to again install the same Sp2 fix which was given to me by my pc vendor.

Details of fix.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

Stop error 0x000000A5.

Tis is the first stop error I received after I installed sp3 on a fully patched pc.

It was the one I originally referred to in my earlier post. I'll explain in further depth here though.

Prior to SP2, it did not matter what hardware you created your image for Sysprep(*) on, that was the idea, you created it on a generic system and when it was deployed it would make decisions based on the needs of the system it was being deployed on.

When SP2 was introduced, it became necessary for the windows images for AMD systems to be created on AMD systems and Intel ones on Intel systems.

Microsoft is now claiming (confirming?) that the problem being seen with the majority of systems upgraded to SP3 is due to the same issue (as the sp2 upgrade) only this time they get to hold their heads aloft and say the OEMs already knew about the issue so it isn't actually their fault.

If this is the same problem then the issue is regarding a library that is loaded at boot, one which is different depending on which system type you have.

The silly thing is that after all this time how difficult is it to have in the boot code a simple check on which CPU is present, and then load which one of the two files is needed. Instead, SP3 is released with the same requirement which removes one of the reasons for using Sysprep.

Anyway, I'm not sure at this point but rather than hold back to see, I've posted the link to the file that resolved the problem with SP2 way back when that first occurred. All it is is a registry key edit, that switches between which of the two library files should be used.

(*) Sysprep - System Preparation tool, a tool with a collection of functions that allowed an OEM to create an image for deployment on to the PC's they produce so they don't have to sit and install Windows manually each time

http://www.runpcrun.com/0x0000007E

0x0000007E after XP an SP2 or SP3 upgrade on AMD PC

Mesh computers seem to have made their AMD PC's using Intel CPU based Sysprep'ed images. Customer today with a Mesh PC who finally upgraded to Windows Service Pack 2 got this message:-
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...
    Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xFC5CCAF3, 0xFC90F8C0, 0xFC90F5C0)

The symptoms fitted everything on
    KnowledgeBase Article 888372 but it seemed their solution didn't work.

Quoted from the Microsoft website it said
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm"
    Change the "Start" Value data box, to 4"

I realised it may be a mistake so I modified it to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm
    So it changed the current controlset rather than a backup one and it did the trick. I guess it was a typo on their part.

Update: 02 August 2006

Seems that on May 16, 2006 Microsoft have removed this solution from the Knowledgebase, now simply stating that they do not support this configuration.

Thanks Microsoft. I don't understand though. I don't mind if you put disclaimers stating that this fix might stain your washing blue or kill your puppies and that it wasn't Microsoft's fault in the first place that some 13 year installed your PC while playing with his whatevers... But for the love of all things holy, why remove a potential solution that may help people bring their systems back online??

OK, rant over Smile

Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:16 AM
  •  Lars Kruse wrote:

I am not aware of the reason that sp2 works and SP3 does not, but the error seems to be the motherboard BIOS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314830

Not in this case.    The details are here on this thread, this is the last page of it.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&pageid=18

The BSOD is not appearing when installing XP, it's happening after XP + SP3 has been installed and during every boot, or almost every boot.

On AMD platforms the problem is usually fixed with the intelppm.sys hack.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:30 AM
  • You are correct Lars Kruse what the details of that stop error are the one I quoted 0x0A5 this system is  not fully AcpI compliant.

I have no idea why I get the  0x0A5 and not the 0x0000007E after XP an SP2 or SP3 upgrade on AMD PC.I have the latest stable bios upgrade.There is one more but it still in beta and relly do not want to upgrade until I know this bios will fix the sp3 boot loop error.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:45 AM
  • (I'll really be glad when they get this forum's problems fixed.  )

Incredible.  Since posts for some reason can't be deleted, I had to just edit this.  I posted on ANOTHER THREAD and it showed up here on this thread!!

Saturday, May 17, 2008 2:48 PM
  •  Eric777 wrote:

You are correct Lars Kruse what the details of that stop error are the one I quoted 0x0A5 this system is  not fully AcpI compliant.

I have no idea why I get the  0x0A5 and not the 0x0000007E after XP an SP2 or SP3 upgrade on AMD PC.I have the latest stable bios upgrade.There is one more but it still in beta and relly do not want to upgrade until I know this bios will fix the sp3 boot loop error.

There's more than one reason why that reboot loop happens on AMD platforms.  One as I assume most know about, is the intelppm.sys issue which is the cause for most of the reboot loops on AMD platforms. 

Another is the PC not being fully ACPI compliant, which I believe is that 0x0A5 parameter could indicate, but you should also have on that BSOD, ACPI_BIOS_ERROR on the screen as well.  If a BIOS update is not available to fix that, you have to manually install the standard HAL, which you do by pressing F7 instead of F6 when XP asks if you need to installed a 3rd-Party controller.  But I think you have to reformat or reinstall XP for that.  This disables ACPI, which may not work for some.  Also regarding the 0x0A5 parameter, that can also be caused by the Hiberfil.sys file, which would need to be deleted.

Still another is replacing gdi32.dll with a version from SP2.

0x0000007E can be caused by video drivers, 3rd Party remote control program, if Win32k.sys is mentioned then a Service, and unfortunately a "damaged driver" in general which could take a long time to fix.  Eric, this didn't work for you with that 0x7E parameter? http://www.runpcrun.com/0x0000007E

Sunday, May 18, 2008 3:43 PM
  •  Clint D. wrote:
     Eric777 wrote:

You are correct Lars Kruse what the details of that stop error are the one I quoted 0x0A5 this system is  not fully AcpI compliant.

There's more than one reason why that reboot loop happens on AMD platforms.  One as I assume most know about, is the intelppm.sys issue which is the cause for most of the reboot loops on AMD platforms. 

Another is the PC not being fully ACPI compliant, which I believe is that 0x0A5 parameter could indicate, but you should also have on that BSOD, ACPI_BIOS_ERROR on the screen as well.  If a BIOS update is not available to fix that, you have to manually install the standard HAL, which you do by pressing F7 instead of F6 when XP asks if you need to installed a 3rd-Party controller.  But I think you have to reformat or reinstall XP for that.  This disables ACPI, which may not work for some.  Also regarding the 0x0A5 parameter, that can also be caused by the Hiberfil.sys file, which would need to be deleted.

Still another is replacing gdi32.dll with a version from SP2.

0x0000007E can be caused by video drivers, 3rd Party remote control program, if Win32k.sys is mentioned then a Service, and unfortunately a "damaged driver" in general which could take a long time to fix.  Eric, this didn't work for you with that 0x7E parameter? http://www.runpcrun.com/0x0000007E

you have to manually install the standard HAL, which you do by pressing F7 instead of F6 when XP asks if you need to installed a 3rd-Party controller

Yes I tried that with microsoft support and the only bios is beta and I have the last stable one installed.I just tried the tool  removeIntelPPMonAMD and says the intelppm.sys is already disabled but I did run the reg SP2 fix I got from my pc manaulfactaul.I going to try again if I disapear for a week you know why lol.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 4:11 PM
  • I must be a fool still get fully ACPI compliant error this time it install but can only start pc with a usb stick in the pc.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:15 PM
  •  Eric777 wrote:
    I must be a fool still get fully ACPI compliant error this time it install but can only start pc with a usb stick in the pc.

If you've tried everything it's not your fault.  It's the fault of MS.

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:12 AM
  •  Eric777 wrote:
    I must be a fool still get fully ACPI compliant error this time it install but can only start pc with a usb stick in the pc.

That specific problem is normally present on the ASUS A8N32 SLI ( or something like that. )

ASUS MUST release a new error free bios.

My guess is that systems that will not boot, will work without reinstall once the BIOS is updated.

I urge everyone with this problem to contact ASUS to pressure for a new BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/contact/contact.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:18 AM
  •  Lars Kruse wrote:
     Eric777 wrote:

That specific problem is normally present on the ASUS A8N32 SLI ( or something like that. )

ASUS MUST release a new error free bios.

My guess is that systems that will not boot, will work without reinstall once the BIOS is updated.

I urge everyone with this problem to contact ASUS to pressure for a new BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/contact/contact.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Many of the AMD PC's that will not boot are due to the ACPI non-compliancy, but not all. 

While it's a good idea to at least try contacting them for a new BIOS, unfortunately Asus couldn't care less.  I've been emailing them for years about their bad links and website errors, and they don't even care about that.

This isn't just an Asus problem, it's MS that's to blame for not testing SP3.  If MS would have fully tested SP3, none of us would be having any problems.  The A8N32 SLI is a fairly recent and very popular mobo, so there's no excuse for that. 

What really amazes me is SP3 is still at the MS site available for download.

Monday, May 19, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Quote:
    I found the same problem, but ONLY on those machines which are running Media Center versions (editions?) of WXP. The workaround is straightforward:

Go into safe mode.

Find "intelppm.sys" in the system32 subdirectory of windows.

rename that file to "intelppm.sys.old"

restart.

It works.

Cheers that worked dunno why because I try it before after ten days of trying it gone in and everything fine.

Amd based pc only

Monday, May 19, 2008 10:24 AM
  • If you have an HP AMD processor based system you may want to read this thread about a patch HP released for XP SP3 udates.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3361271&SiteID=17

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:41 PM
  • You think people like me are going to install SP3 when even on SP2 updates  they interfere with programs

Some of the ones in May cut me off from the net or interfered with programs.I have firewall and a router. I have to at least once a month reinstall something. The SP should have been broken up into smaller updates No service pack should interfere with internet connections.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Update 5/29: We recently put the Windows Update filter in place for Arabic, Chinese Simplified and Traditional, English, Hebrew, Japanese, and Korean language systems affected by this issue and are planning to put a filter in place for the remaining languages shortly

Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:33 AM
    Update 5/29: We recently put the Windows Update filter in place for Arabic, Chinese Simplified and Traditional, English, Hebrew, Japanese, and Korean language systems affected by this issue and are planning to put a filter in place for the remaining languages shortly

Well that's good.....but what about the Intel platforms?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:29 AM
  • While I know this may sound crazy, I had installed SP3 during a maintanence run for my company and had the reboot cycle and could not even boot into safe mode, unplugged everything from the back except the monitor (and power obviously Smile and it fired right up...I'm sure it had nothing to do with SP3 but...its worth a shot I suppose.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:02 PM
  • For a review, and some possible solutions, of issues re XP SP3 and AMD processors/mobos, you might do worse than look at

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx

(Even yo you do not have an AMD chipset it might provide some pointers towards a solution.)

Also, Microsoft have updated their own Help and Support article on this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

"Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E" "

Hope that this might be of some help.  Best of luck.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:46 PM
  • It did not work at all on my system.

I do NOT have a HP-AMD, it is a custom computer built with a Chaintech MoBo.

I am going to reintall the damn winXP- I am tired of plying reboot games- I NEED THE SYSTEM WORKING TONIGHT!

Thank you for Microsoft! Just when I was beginning to think you had your act together a stunt like releasing  SP3 that kills AMD machines shows me you can still royally screw things up!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:11 PM
  •  Richard Baker wrote:

Thank you for Microsoft! Just when I was beginning to think you had your act together a stunt like releasing  SP3 that kills AMD machines shows me you can still royally screw things up!

It's Intel PC's as well.

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:15 PM
  • I know this will not help those that already have the continous reboot problem, but we have noticed at my work that if, at the end of the SP3 upgrade, you choose to manually shut down your computer instead of letting the installer do it for you it doesn't enter the reboot cycle.  This has worked on both Intel and AMD systems that, if we let the installer reboot, were going into the reboot cycle.

Friday, June 13, 2008 10:49 PM
  •  

Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:13 AM
  • ??????? 

danya_606@mail,ru wrote:

Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:57 AM
  •  CAC Tech wrote:

I know this will not help those that already have the continous reboot problem, but we have noticed at my work that if, at the end of the SP3 upgrade, you choose to manually shut down your computer instead of letting the installer do it for you it doesn't enter the reboot cycle.  This has worked on both Intel and AMD systems that, if we let the installer reboot, were going into the reboot cycle.

You must mean restart, right?  It doesn't prompt to shutdown, but restart.  Please clarify that you mean when it asks to restart your PC, you say no to that and restart on your own.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Hi:

I am running an Intel based Compaq with the rebooting problem.  I tried CAC Tech's method of manually rebooting after SP3 installation but that resulted in no improvement.

I noticed that I can reboot my computer in SAFE mode but not SAFE NETWORKING mode.  Because of this I checked in system hardware to see if SP3 had changed the drivers.  It had actually added seven new drivers including somthing called 'Driect Parallel', one for my internal LAN card which I had previously disabled in the bias and a set of three WAN Miniports.  This was unexpected.

I would be interested to know of anyone else can boot in SAFE mode but not SAFE NETWORKING mode.  If so do they have a bunch of extra drivers in their network section?  I'd also like to know what "Direct Parallel' is used for.

Hopefully my little blurb will be helpful for the expert faultfinders here.

cheers
    Bryce
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Hello?  Are you still around?  Please reply to that below, this could be very important.
    Thanks.

Clint D wrote:
     CAC Tech wrote:

I know this will not help those that already have the continous reboot problem, but we have noticed at my work that if, at the end of the SP3 upgrade, you choose to manually shut down your computer instead of letting the installer do it for you it doesn't enter the reboot cycle.  This has worked on both Intel and AMD systems that, if we let the installer reboot, were going into the reboot cycle.

You must mean restart, right?  It doesn't prompt to shutdown, but restart.  Please clarify that you mean when it asks to restart your PC, you say no to that and restart on your own.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:03 AM
  •  wshillington wrote:
    Hi:

I am running an Intel based Compaq with the rebooting problem.  I tried CAC Tech's method of manually rebooting after SP3 installation but that resulted in no improvement.

Oh well.

I noticed that I can reboot my computer in SAFE mode but not SAFE NETWORKING mode.  Because of this I checked in system hardware to see if SP3 had changed the drivers.  It had actually added seven new drivers including somthing called 'Driect Parallel', one for my internal LAN card which I had previously disabled in the bias and a set of three WAN Miniports.  This was unexpected.

I would be interested to know of anyone else can boot in SAFE mode but not SAFE NETWORKING mode.  If so do they have a bunch of extra drivers in their network section?  I'd also like to know what "Direct Parallel' is used for.

Hopefully my little blurb will be helpful for the expert faultfinders here.

cheers
    Bryce

Some people have been able to boot in safe mode, some not.  I don't recall about safe mode with networking support.  Check the main thread for that:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&pageid=29
    Also change the "29" at the end to an "11" and see if I mentioned that in my 2nd post from the bottom.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:08 AM
  • I know this wont help anyone who has already installed SP3 but if you download the standalone SP3 file and boot your computer into safe mode, then do the install it seems to work fine. I found this out after installing it in a normal windows boot on 2 HP Compaq that use intel chip sets. they went into the reboot cycle and after using Microsoft's "fixes" it just got worse. so to all who plan on installing SP3 (which i truly would not recommend at the moment) try it in safe mode. and if anyone can find a real fix for intel chip sets please let me know. i would really rather not have to do a reinstall.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:56 PM
  •  LLNEO wrote:

I know this wont help anyone who has already installed SP3 but if you download the standalone SP3 file and boot your computer into safe mode, then do the install it seems to work fine. I found this out after installing it in a normal windows boot on 2 HP Compaq that use intel chip sets. they went into the reboot cycle and after using Microsoft's "fixes" it just got worse. so to all who plan on installing SP3 (which i truly would not recommend at the moment) try it in safe mode. and if anyone can find a real fix for intel chip sets please let me know. i would really rather not have to do a reinstall.

So your PC had the reboot issue before, and you didn't change anything on it, and you started over and installed SP3 again but in safe mode, and you got rid of the reboot problem?  Did you remove SP3 first then install it again, or reformat, or installed SP3 again over itself?
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Hi:

I think it might be a good time to slink back to Linux! 

I made one more unsuccessful attempt to install SP3.  I will recount my methods and results for others who are faultfinding.

1 - Restore to SP2  (Note:  I used an Intel powered Compaq)
    2 - Download SP3 CD ISO from Microsoft
    3 - Burn file to CD
    4 - Restart in SAFE mode
    5 - Insert CD (It will automaticly start)
    6 - Perform instal of SP3
    7 - Reboot but press F8 to go into SAFE mode
    8 - In Control Panel/System/Hardware  noted that strange network drivers were installed.  I disabled all network drivers.
    9 - Rebooted in NORMAL Mode.

There was no change.  Program would start to load but reboot abnormally as noted before.

Hopefully this can help someone.

Cheers
    Bryce
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Hi:

I have a second computer I installed SP3 on.  This is one I built.  It is powered by AMD and I bought the Windows XP operating system separately.  It installed SP3 with no problems.  I checked out what network drivers were added and found that it was the same as before I updated.

I'm pretty sure the added drivers in my Intel based computer has something to do with my problem.  I will ask again if anyone with the continious rebooting problem can operate in SAFE mode and not SAFE NETWORKING mode.  I am also interested in knowing if any extra networking drivers were added.  If would sure help if I could get some feedback on this.

cheers
    Bryce
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:39 AM
  •  wshillington wrote:
    Hi:

I made one more unsuccessful attempt to install SP3.  I will recount my methods and results for others who are faultfinding.

8 - In Control Panel/System/Hardware  noted that strange network drivers were installed.  I disabled all network drivers.

Bryce that sounds like the Norton/Symantec issue.  I don't recall the details of it nor the fix, but Symantec has a fix for it.  Of course if you don't have that installed, then that's probably not it.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:04 AM
  •  wshillington wrote:
    Hi:

I have a second computer I installed SP3 on.  This is one I built.  It is powered by AMD and I bought the Windows XP operating system separately.  It installed SP3 with no problems.  I checked out what network drivers were added and found that it was the same as before I updated.

I'm pretty sure the added drivers in my Intel based computer has something to do with my problem.  I will ask again if anyone with the continuous rebooting problem can operate in SAFE mode and not SAFE NETWORKING mode.  I am also interested in knowing if any extra networking drivers were added.  If would sure help if I could get some feedback on this.

cheers
    Bryce

When you said strange network drivers were added in the "Control Panel/System/Hardware", do you mean in the Device Manager?  Where exactly did you see them?  I'm on a Intel platform and I'll see if I have them.

You need to post your safe mode question at the URL I suggested:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&pageid=29
    As well as the network drivers question, that's the main thread on the reboot loop issue.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:11 AM
  • Hi Clint:

Yes, I meant Device Manager.

As far as Norton is concerned, I don't use it.  I prefer System Suite by VCOM.  Both computers use the same System Suite software so I doubt that is my culpret.

thanks
    Bryce
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:59 AM
  •  wshillington wrote:
    Hi Clint:

As far as Norton is concerned, I don't use it.  I prefer System Suite by VCOM.  Both computers use the same System Suite software so I doubt that is my culpret.

Ok so how do these strange NW drivers show up, are there red X's, yellow ? or ! marks?  I've never heard of this on a PC without Norton.
    Thanks.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:39 PM
  •  Clint D wrote:
     wshillington wrote:
    Hi:

Bryce that sounds like the Norton/Symantec issue.  I don't recall the details of it nor the fix, but Symantec has a fix for it.  Of course if you don't have that installed, then that's probably not it.

For details of the Symantec/Norton fix, and it does work for other applications besides Norton, look at rdhw's second post at:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3449197&SiteID=17

Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:57 PM
  •  Clint D wrote:
     LLNEO wrote:

I know this wont help anyone who has already installed SP3 but if you download the standalone SP3 file and boot your computer into safe mode, then do the install it seems to work fine. I found this out after installing it in a normal windows boot on 2 HP Compaq that use intel chip sets. they went into the reboot cycle and after using Microsoft's "fixes" it just got worse. so to all who plan on installing SP3 (which i truly would not recommend at the moment) try it in safe mode. and if anyone can find a real fix for intel chip sets please let me know. i would really rather not have to do a reinstall.

So your PC had the reboot issue before, and you didn't change anything on it, and you started over and installed SP3 again but in safe mode, and you got rid of the reboot problem?  Did you remove SP3 first then install it again, or reformat, or installed SP3 again over itself?

Im sorry i should have specified. I work at a Technical school and was working on a lab of computers, all running XP. My boss said to put SP3 on them all but i was kinda worried about all the errors so i just did a few at a  time. So after the 4 and 5 errored out i decided not to take any chances. My research into the problem showed that SP3 has a few problems with some running programs and since i dont know all of those programs i just decided to try in safe mode. i used that method on about 17 computers and none of them came up with any errors like the other two.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 11:51 AM
  • Very interesting, thanks for that info.  Nothing should be running in the background anyway when installing anything, especially a SP.  In my case I had absolutely nothing running when I installed SP3 except XP essentials.  Can you say what all was running in the background during the SP3 install on the PC's that had the problem?

LLNEO wrote:

Clint D wrote:
     LLNEO wrote:

Im sorry i should have specified. I work at a Technical school and was working on a lab of computers, all running XP. My boss said to put SP3 on them all but i was kinda worried about all the errors so i just did a few at a  time. So after the 4 and 5 errored out i decided not to take any chances. My research into the problem showed that SP3 has a few problems with some running programs and since i dont know all of those programs i just decided to try in safe mode. i used that method on about 17 computers and none of them came up with any errors like the other two.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:10 PM
  • "LLNEO" I'm getting ahead of myself here.  Are all the PC's identical?  If so, then this could be a major breakthrough.  If not.........then we're back to square one.

Friday, June 20, 2008 12:41 PM
  • NEO are you still around?

Clint D wrote:

"LLNEO" I'm getting ahead of myself here.  Are all the PC's identical?  If so, then this could be a major breakthrough.  If not.........then we're back to square one.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:10 AM
  • Bryce?   

Clint D wrote:

wshillington wrote:
    Hi Clint:

Ok so how do these strange NW drivers show up, are there red X's, yellow ? or ! marks?  I've never heard of this on a PC without Norton.
    Thanks.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:12 AM
  • My old HP Pavilion XT983 had a motherboard failure (bad capacitor leaked), so I replaced the mobo with a Mach Speed Venom V2DP about 3 years or so ago (I think, it's been a long time).  That mobo was the only one that supported my ancient Athlon Thunderbird processor.  I used a new CD of Windows XP Pro when I built this, and it worked fine with XP SP2 all this time.  The only reason I am now seeing this issue is that my hard disk died, and I had to replace it.

I got XP w/SP2 on it again and running fine.  Then, I decided to run Windows Update and get the latest updates while I was at it.  There were 117 recommended updates, so I installed them all.  I got the same issue as SP3 (reboots) that is mentioned here.  I assumed something went wrong in my install, so I reformatted and reinstalled again.  This time, I downloaded SP3 and installed instead of waiting for those 117 updates.  Same thing. 

I got to the profile selection screen, I chose my user (any of them), it loaded my McAfee VirusScan software (splash screen), and then it rebooted.  I booted into safe mode with networking and turned off automatic reboots.  It then, instead of rebooting, would go to a black screen of death (not blue and with no stop message or anything displayed at all).

I checked the registry before uninstalling SP3, and I don't even have the key they say to modify.  I uninstalled SP3 and it boots fine.  Now, however, many of my apps are messed up.  For instance, I double-click IE on the desktop, and it makes a shortcut for IE on the desktop under the original icon.  It does this every time.  The IE icon in the Quick Launch toolbar works fine.  My start page loads (google.com) fine, but when I try to visit another site (through a favorite or through entering the address) it kills my machine EVERY TIME with a black screen of death.

This is irritating.  Now, I have to reinstall AGAIN from scratch, as a repair install didn't fix it.

Is there some email list we can get on so we can be notified when it is safe to install SP3?  I don't want to go through this again in the future, and I'm going to run XP2 with no updates for now to avoid it.

Edited to add: For the record, I have installed SP3 on my other computers (a Compaq Presario laptop w/mobile AMD and a custom-built ASUS/AMD Athlon64 system) without a hitch.  Just this one old system is giving me fits.

Monday, June 23, 2008 2:03 PM
  •  engineer2001 wrote:

This is irritating.  Now, I have to reinstall AGAIN from scratch, as a repair install didn't fix it.

And don't install SP3 this time! 

Is there some email list we can get on so we can be notified when it is safe to install SP3?  I don't want to go through this again in the future, and I'm going to run XP2 with no updates for now to avoid it.

None that I'm aware.

Edited to add: For the record, I have installed SP3 on my other computers (a Compaq Presario laptop w/mobile AMD and a custom-built ASUS/AMD Athlon64 system) without a hitch.  Just this one old system is giving me fits.

To be alerted, just watch (subscribe or Alert) to the main thread here http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&pageid=30 .  I don't guess it's important to post your PC details there because you're using AMD PC's: custom built AMD PC's are not going to have the intelppm.sys issue, and your affected AMD PC can probably be fixed using the intelppm.sys fix (search that thread for it and you'll find it, or any number of other areas around here.  Come to think of it, the fix is probably on this thread).  But if it CANNOT be fixed with that method, then please post its details on that thread.  Also I guess the laptop details would be helpful as well.  This is important so we can keep a record of what PC's are affected, and NOT affected in order to expedite a fix. 

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Does anyone know how to get in touch with "LLNeo" and "Bryce" mentioned in my posts above?  This is ridiculous not having any IM or PM features at these forums, for that exact reason.  It's particularly important that LLNeo responds, that could be a very important issue.

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:40 PM
  •  Clint D wrote:

NEO are you still around?

Clint D wrote:

"LLNEO" I'm getting ahead of myself here.  Are all the PC's identical?  If so, then this could be a major breakthrough.  If not.........then we're back to square one.

sorry i have been a little busy lately. yes they are all identical. sorry but no i cant tell you what was running in the background at the time. i didnt pay to much attention to that until afterward. it did have deep freeze on it but it was disabled and remote scope was also on there. other than that i am sorry but i do not know. i have also discovered that when you try to run the repair console on them that you cannot access the C drive until you run a chkdsk /r on it. then when you use microsofts solution to uninstall SP3, it seems to work properly until you boot. then you end up with a windows installation in which stuff like the services are missing and system restore is not functioning. and it wont allow you to uninstall from add/remove programs because it is apparently missing the uninstall files yet the folder containing said files are still there. frankly microsoft should have just left things the way they were. SP3 isnt worth all this trouble.

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:42 PM
  •  LLNEO wrote:

sorry i have been a little busy lately. yes they are all identical. sorry but no i cant tell you what was running in the background at the time. i didnt pay to much attention to that until afterward. it did have deep freeze on it but it was disabled and remote scope was also on there. other than that i am sorry but i do not know.

Hey thanks for that info.  So can you please post all the details of these PC's?  The mobo brand and model, and any periph devices hooked up and what connector types they're using (USB, firewire, parallel, etc).  This could be really important to MS for this fix.

i have also discovered that when you try to run the repair console on them that you cannot access the C drive until you run a chkdsk /r on it. then when you use microsofts solution to uninstall SP3, it seems to work properly until you boot. then you end up with a windows installation in which stuff like the services are missing and system restore is not functioning. and it wont allow you to uninstall from add/remove programs because it is apparently missing the uninstall files yet the folder containing said files are still there. frankly microsoft should have just left things the way they were. SP3 isnt worth all this trouble.

Yeah I believe SP3 also screws up the registry.  Many times after I get the reboot loop/BSOD it shows that typical message about something being corrupted and it says you have to run chkdsk /r to fix it.  It gives that path C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SOFTWARE.  That means, that it thinks the registry is corrupted, but chkdsk /r of course never fixes the reboot loop.

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:25 PM
  •  

System features
    See detailed specs
    US QuickSpecs » html » pdf
    Operating system
    Genuine Windows® XP Professional 32
    Processors available
    Intel® Core™2 Duo processor E4400 2.00 GHz 2 MB L2 cache 800 MHz front side bus
    Chipset
    Intel® Q963 Express
    Form Factor
    Microtower
    Memory
    Memory
    1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Storage
    Hard drive controllers
    SATA 3.0 Gb/s
    Hard drive
    80 GB 7200 rpm SATA 3.0 Gb/s
    Optical Drives
    48X/32X SATA DVD/CD-RW combo
    Audio, Slots, and Ports
    Audio
    Integrated High Definition audio with Realtek 2 channel ALC260 codec (all ports are stereo)
    Ports
    Standard:
    2 USB 2.0
    1 microphone in
    1 headphone/line-out
    Rear:
    6 USB 2.0
    1 serial
    1 parallel
    2 PS/2
    1 audio in
    1 audio out
    1 RJ-45
    1 external VGA monitor

Slots
    2 full-height PCI
    1 full-height PCIe x1
    Graphics and Input/Output devices
    Graphics cards
    Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000
    Input devices
    PS/2 optical mouse

Keyboard
    PS/2 standard keyboard
    Communication features
    Network
    10/100/1000 NIC
    Manageability
    Security management
    1.2 TPM Embedded Security Chip (TPM module disabled where use is restricted by law); HP ProtectTools Security Software Suite with BIOS Configuration (Serial, Parallel, USB Enable/Disable) Credential Manager, Smart Card Manager; HP Desktop Security lock kit (lock and cable); Security cable with Kensington lock
    Product specifications
    Dimensions (w x d x h)
    6.95 x 16.85 x 14.85 in (17.65 x 42.79 x 37.71 cm)
    Weight
    23.44 lb (10.63 kg)
    Power and Battery
    Power supply
    300 Watt 80Plus power supply - active PFC
    the computers hardware has not been changed since they were bought  and therefore match this list part for part. they all use ps/2 keyboards and usb mice. the two that messed up had no other periphs. just the basic mouse, keyboard, and monitor. we used the stand alone file pulled of a folder on our server which i dont think that had any effect on it considering we did the same thing with the rest of them but in safe mode with networking. they all have a mapped network drive to the local server of that OU and they all connect to a shared printer. if there is anything else you need just let me know. also if you need my im info i use yahoo and msn and my email is llneo12@yahoo.com. i wont be at my computer till after 4 since i work from 8-3. if you need anymore information feel free to contact me on ther or on here. ill be keeping a closer eye on here now.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Ok, so the plot has thickened, and I may have blamed SP3 for the reboots when it wasn't SP3's fault.  I just formatted and reinstalled Win XP Pro w/SP2... no issues.  Then, I went to Windows Update and updated to the latest version of Windows Update and Windows Installer 3.1... no issues.  Then, I updated my C-Media sound driver and Realtek LAN driver to the latest versions (just like I did before the SP3 install last time)... reboot city. 

I have rolled back using system restore, and it works fine for now.  I'm afraid to try SP3 again w/o the driver updates right now, because I'm about to go away for the week and won't be back until Friday.  I would like for my family to be able to use this computer while I'm gone.  So, I've turned off auto updates and will leave it at the clean SP2 state for now.

If I get brave enough to install SP3 when I get back, I'll let you know how it turns out.  At this point, I'm pretty sure the reboots were from the C-Media AC97 sound card driver or the VIA Rhine II fast ethernet driver updates.  I just happened to see and install them along with SP3 (I never visit Windows Update anymore since they do those auto updates).

I would hate to add to the noise and screw up your signal-to-noise ratio by leaving my "SP3 killed my system" post without this reply.  SP3 *may* be innocent in my case. 

Edit (months later - I forgot, sorry):
    It was the VIA Rhine II driver.  I just refused to download the newest one from Windows Update, and I have experienced no reboots.  Not SP3's fault at all (well, except that I already had that driver before, and it worked fine w/o SP3).  Works for me.  The older driver works fine, so no need to replace it.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 8:32 PM
  •  engineer2001 wrote:
    Ok, so the plot has thickened, and I may have blamed SP3 for the reboots when it wasn't SP3's fault.  I just formatted and reinstalled Win XP Pro w/SP2... no issues.  Then, I went to Windows Update and updated to the latest version of Windows Update and Windows Installer 3.1... no issues.  Then, I updated my C-Media sound driver and Realtek LAN driver to the latest versions (just like I did before the SP3 install last time)... reboot city. 

I have rolled back using system restore, and it works fine for now.  I'm afraid to try SP3 again w/o the driver updates right now, because I'm about to go away for the week and won't be back until Friday.  I would like for my family to be able to use this computer while I'm gone.  So, I've turned off auto updates and will leave it at the clean SP2 state for now.

If I get brave enough to install SP3 when I get back, I'll let you know how it turns out.  At this point, I'm pretty sure the reboots were from the C-Media AC97 sound card driver or the VIA Rhine II fast ethernet driver updates.  I just happened to see and install them along with SP3 (I never visit Windows Update anymore since they do those auto updates).

I would hate to add to the noise and screw up your signal-to-noise ratio by leaving my "SP3 killed my system" post without this reply.  SP3 *may* be innocent in my case. 

Personally i would Contact HP.

You have not speciefied wich STOP error you are getting.

The intelppm.sys error gives one specific error message.

I believe you are right in assuming that the error is driver related ( Via Rhine is my suspect ), but it might as well be the Bios of the Motherboard.

I do not believe that SP3 itself will be changed.

Lars Kruse

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:11 AM
  •  engineer2001 wrote:
    Ok, so the plot has thickened, and I may have blamed SP3 for the reboots when it wasn't SP3's fault.  I just formatted and reinstalled Win XP Pro w/SP2... no issues.  Then, I went to Windows Update and updated to the latest version of Windows Update and Windows Installer 3.1... no issues.  Then, I updated my C-Media sound driver and Realtek LAN driver to the latest versions (just like I did before the SP3 install last time)... reboot city. 

That's interesting.  When you rolled it back, did that go back to the older installer, or just went back to the older LAN and sound card drivers?

It's been known that LAN drivers can cause the reboot issue and either enabling or disabling an integrated LAN.  But I've yet to hear about audio drivers causing it.  If you make any positive definite conclusions, please state if your LAN and audio are totally separate, as in totally separate chipsets and controllers integrated on the mobo, or a PCI card.  (I know VIA and Cmedia are different, but they could be on the same PCI card).

Also please clarify if you're on an AMD PC, and that you have tried the intelppm.sys fix.  (There are others that have posted here on Intel is why I ask).

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:24 AM
  • LLNeo since this is an AMD thread, let's move this info over to http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&pageid=30 out of respect for this thread since we're talking about Intel PC's.   I'll reply to your last post with the specs over there.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:27 PM

• Respectfully, I don't know that SP3 restart stability issues are just an AMD problem. It isn't an AMD subject.

I have tried to find this issue elsewhere and can't so I am going to describe something that is more specific to SP3 deployment and management configuration: first things first this is the setup -
    Clean install ..reformatted HDD, installed XP, Express updated OS, installed m/b chipset, installed  DirectX, installed graphics driver, installed and patched WoW...

I can't play World of Warcraft without the computer restarting or crashing. XP doesn't give a warning, there is no error message popup, and I cannot set Verify ON via the Dos screen it resets to Off on reboot, Computer Browser service in MMC restarts the comp in 5 minutes on connection to Warcraft game server. I disable the Computer Browser service... It still happens

2) There is a file SysmonLog error reported in MMC Computer Management -->System Tools -->Event viewer -->Application. A Search of the hard drive fails to locate this file, it does not exist.

3) all MMC services are set to restart a service on failure rather than take no action, RPC  had a initial state of restart the Computer on Fail. In  System Properties --> Advanced  --> Start Up and Recovery -->Settings--> System Failure is unchecked on the Automatically restart checkbox. The comp still restarts, it does not scan disk unless I use the Installation CD and run Repair - CHKDSK. As noted in (1)  above  the restart still happens.

Finally, things to note. My comp is run on a single box LAN card hooked to an adsl router/modem over the PSTN with a Line filter. It's a LAN connection with one machine in the local network connecting to my ISP.  That is not an unusual home user setup in Australia. I have a AV app waiting pending all configs and setup running stably, nevermind SP3 demanding a AV be present... I have disabled Security Center, Remote Desktop Help Session Manager, Application Management, Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing, Windows Firewall, Extensible Authentication Protocol service, Healthkey and Certificate Management service, Net Logon,  NetBIOS, Network Access Protection Agent, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, Terminal services, QoS rsvp, Print Spooler, Routing and Remote Access, and ClipBook  for the most part. Clipbook may get another chance when I install the AV.

Its my box, and I'm 49 years old I'm entitled to have some interest in my own thing and what that thing will be. I am trying to config the system so it is running well first, so far this is not happening the way SP3 installs the services settings. Unless something else proves to be in the way, like a trojan or something.

I clean the cookie malware with a spyware app, and have a registry utility to clean the thing as well. You might say I run a regular housekeeping operation, I defragged the drive too.

In spite of apparently terrible things you see me do to my system settings I am a responsible net user, perhaps it is that some of those services are superfluous bandwidth leeches, who knows my reasons?
    I want to know why my comp is behaving badly, your input is valuable to me.

Respectfully, David

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:20 AM
  •  dave3210go wrote:

Respectfully, I don't know that SP3 restart stability issues are just an AMD problem. It isn't an AMD subject.

Correct, it happens on all platforms.  However, the fix for the two is generally completely different (usually the intelppm.sys file fix works for AMD platforms), and this thread subject specifically states "AMD", therefore out of respect for the OP Shashank it seems logical and respectful to move any Intel conversations to the main reboot loop/BSOD thread.   See the original post again.

I can't play World of Warcraft without the computer restarting or crashing. XP doesn't give a warning, there is no error message popup, and I cannot set Verify ON via the Dos screen it resets to Off on reboot, Computer Browser service in MMC restarts the comp in 5 minutes on connection to Warcraft game server. I disable the Computer Browser service... It still happens

You need to start a new thread for that specifically for WoW since that is unrelated.  I have seen some issues regarding WoW on SP3, but since I don't play it I don't recall the fixes.

2) There is a file SysmonLog error reported in MMC Computer Management -->System Tools -->Event viewer -->Application. A Search of the hard drive fails to locate this file, it does not exist.
    3) all MMC services are set to restart a service on failure rather than take no action, RPC  had a initial state of restart the Computer on Fail. In  System Properties --> Advanced  --> Start Up and Recovery -->Settings--> System Failure is unchecked on the Automatically restart checkbox. The comp still restarts, it does not scan disk unless I use the Installation CD and run Repair - CHKDSK. As noted in (1)  above  the restart still happens.

I'm not familiar with those specific issues.  Regarding #2; the EV is always loaded with errors and warnings and if they are not causing any specific crashes or are not related to specific crashes or problems, I'd ignore it.  I know it may be hard to do, I'm the kind of person that must know what's causing an event, but trying to track them down can be a waste of time.  You can copy/paste some event details into a search engine and find out more about them that way.

#3, try and press F5 or F8 while booting, and the on the one that gives the menu with start up options (the other is safe mode depending on the mobo BIOS), see if there is an option to NOT automatically restart on a failure. I know there is one to restart, but I can't remember if the other one is there.  Maybe it will show up if the option to automatically restart is selected.

If you have a problem with your PC wanting to scandisk or chkdsk, this may help: http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_keep_chkdsk_from_running_on_every_start_up.html

FYI, the MMC on SP3 is v3.x and there's some snap-ins that like the previous version better.  The snap-ins can cause some errors, but they can usually be ignored by selection the option to "ignore from now on" or something like that.  The snap-ins can be any kind of 3rd-Party app that uses a part of the MMC, like defrag apps.  (See Diskeeper below).  If you have any kind of snap-in installed that uses the MMC, and it "likes" the previous v2.x better, that could account for some odd behavior.  The only way around this usually is for the vendor to come up with newer versions that work with MMC 3.x.

Finally, things to note. My comp is run on a single box LAN card hooked to an adsl router/modem over the PSTN with a Line filter. It's a LAN connection with one machine in the local network connecting to my ISP.  That is not an unusual home user setup in Australia. I have a AV app waiting pending all configs and setup running stably, nevermind SP3 demanding a AV be present... I have disabled Security Center, Remote Desktop Help Session Manager, Application Management, Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing, Windows Firewall, Extensible Authentication Protocol service, Healthkey and Certificate Management service, Net Logon,  NetBIOS, Network Access Protection Agent, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, Terminal services, QoS rsvp, Print Spooler, Routing and Remote Access, and ClipBook  for the most part. Clipbook may get another chance when I install the AV.

"Extensible Authentication Protocol service" is new for SP3 and might be needed to be set to at least Manual.  (It helped me a little bit with the internet when I put it on Automatic, then back to Manual).  I too have a lot of those you list disabled, but some I don't since they are needed (depending on how one uses their PC).  For specific details on which Services can be disabled, see http://www.blackviper.com/, specifically http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm .

Its my box, and I'm 49 years old I'm entitled to have some interest in my own thing and what that thing will be. I am trying to config the system so it is running well first, so far this is not happening the way SP3 installs the services settings. Unless something else proves to be in the way, like a trojan or something.

So am I, well at least I'll be 49 next month.   (Damn we're getting old. LOL).

(The reboot issue not withstanding), for me SP3 is running better than SP2, it just takes some tweaks and hacks to disable/enable certain things so those things will be like SP2.  If there is some functionality you've lost on certain things, or don't like the way something behaves, just start a thread on it and ask.

I clean the cookie malware with a spyware app, and have a registry utility to clean the thing as well. You might say I run a regular housekeeping operation, I defragged the drive too.

"IE Privacy Keeper" (also works on FireFox) is free and great for only keeping the Cookies on your PC that you need to keep, and any other temp files you want to keep.  It automatically deletes all the other BS as well as the Temp Net Files folder at the time of your choosing, I have mine set to delete when the last browser window is closed. 

http://www.unhsolutions.net/IE-Privacy-Keeper/index.html

Registry cleaners can actually end up causing more problems.  FWIW, see if you can find the free version of Diskeeper.  Diskeeper is actually what the Native XP defrag uses, but it's an older stripped down version from Executive Software and doesn't work as well as their free stand-alone version.  But with it you'll have the MMC error I mentioned above, but you just close out if since it doesn't mean anything.  (The free version is no longer made and it was made to work with the previous v2.x of the MMC).

In spite of apparently terrible things you see me do to my system settings I am a responsible net user, perhaps it is that some of those services are superfluous bandwidth leeches, who knows my reasons?

I'm the same way, I've always been a tweaker or "hacker" trying to find ways to make a PC be faster or more efficient, or more stable.  Yes, there are a load of unnecessary Services in XP that not only suck resources but that are also security risks.  That BlackViper site will tell you about the Services and which you can disable.

If you need anymore info on your issues, just start a new thread(s) here http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17 then you can have the threads seen by everyone and we can keep this thread just for the reboot issue for AMD platforms.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:07 PM
  • I have a solution for this........

SP 3 is not meant for AMD Processors, its only available for Intel processors.

If you have installed SP3 on AMD processor and its continuously rebooting try the following steps:

1. Choose Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure, which will pause the system at an error message.

2. If you are able to boot in to safe mode or safe mode with networking, open Registry editor and find the key Intelppm and change the value to "4" to disable the function of anonymous reboot of the machine.

3. If you are not able to do so, restart machine in Recovery console and change the directory to "$UninstallServicePack3$" and run the command "batch spuninst.txt".  It will help you in unistalling sp3 from the system.

4. After uninstalling SP3 change the registry key and then try reinstalling the same.

Keep others updated about the same.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:03 AM
  • The above does NOT apply to my problem. I installed WinXP myself on a new hard drive when I built my system. It was NOT an imaged drive which is now being blamed for the cause. I tried the posted fixes- everything from Reg Edit as described above (the setting was already at the proper value), running a script from the installation disk  recovery console, rolling back the SP3 via Add/Remove Programs/updates. Nothing worked.
    The tragedy is my copy of WinXP was an upgrade version and the original Win98 disk is no longer. To get control of my computer again I had to go out and buy a new drive and a Full Install versionof XP. This problem has cost me over THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS so far. The original drive locked in the reboot-loop is now in a anti-static bag waiting for this problem to have a solution. It contains all my essential design programs and utilities so I need to get it back in working order.

After a REAL solution is found and people are happy I will get my drive out and give it a try but considering how the solutions only seem to work for some but not all the users I expect at least a month or two before I will give it another try.

You can blame major computer companies using a drive image as a problem, but considering how many machines out there are built this way is was really a stupid move to release a service pack that does not tatake those machines into consideration. The fact my machine was NOT imaged but a clean install on a newly formated drive does not fit this model. The only thing in common is the AMD processoir. It is an older 2000+ Athlon so new chiop designs are not a factor.

The real irony is that Microsoft's screwup on this service pack actually made them money since the WinXP I bought was $199. That plus the cost of a new drive has not made me very happy right now.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:12 PM
  •  Tweets wrote:

I have a solution for this........

SP 3 is not meant for AMD Processors, its only available for Intel processors.

I'm not sure if you mean that literally or sarcastically.   It's "meant" for both, and both platforms have this issue, although the fixes that have worked can be different, especially the intelppm.sys fix (mentioned in this thread) which CANNOT be used on Intel platforms.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:50 PM
  •  Richard Baker wrote:
    The above does NOT apply to my problem. I installed WinXP myself on a new hard drive when I built my system. It was NOT an imaged drive which is now being blamed for the cause.

The "imaged drive" intelppm.sys is only one of the causes on AMD PC's.  Generally, those on brand name pre-built AMD platforms have that file on the HD, and if they do the intelppm.sys fix usually works, but not always.

To get control of my computer again I had to go out and buy a new drive and a Full Install versionof XP. This problem has cost me over THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS so far. The original drive locked in the reboot-loop is now in a anti-static bag waiting for this problem to have a solution. It contains all my essential design programs and utilities so I need to get it back in working order.

You couldn't uninstall SP3?  If you really tried everything, then you didn't need to go out and get a new HD because your existing HD will probably never get fixed and you'd just have to reformat it.  I know it's hindsight for you now, but one should absolutely never put any SP on a PC without having the HD copied or at least everything on it backed up somewhere.  The exception to this is if MS would come out with a patch that could be applied to your messed up HD while NOT in Windows, in its current "bootless" state.

You can blame major computer companies using a drive image as a problem, but considering how many machines out there are built this way is was really a stupid move to release a service pack that does not tatake those machines into consideration. The fact my machine was NOT imaged but a clean install on a newly formated drive does not fit this model. The only thing in common is the AMD processoir. It is an older 2000+ Athlon so new chiop designs are not a factor.

I agree, MS obviously did very little testing if any on this SP.  You would think they'd learn from past SP mistakes, but they never do, because no one holds them accountable for SP screwups.

The real irony is that Microsoft's screwup on this service pack actually made them money since the WinXP I bought was $199. That plus the cost of a new drive has not made me very happy right now.

Sorry to tell you now, but you could have gotten XP Pro for less than half of that.    But at least you have a another HD now which you can use in the future for backups.  Soon XP will be a valuable commodity and you may be able to sell it and get most of your $ back.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Does anyone know how to get in touch with this "CAC Tech" person?

Clint D wrote:
    Hello?  Are you still around?  Please reply to that below, this could be very important.
    Thanks.

Clint D wrote:
     CAC Tech wrote:

Monday, July 7, 2008 11:24 AM
  • Same problem, similar error codes, but on Intel Centrino..........I never though I'd say I missed Vista, but at least Vista would start.

Error code: 0x0000007b (0xBA4CF524, 0x000000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).  

BSOD,

repeat till the battery goes dead.

Come on guys; this is the biggest kludge since Windows 2.0

Saturday, July 12, 2008 2:35 AM
  •  Roaddog wrote:

Same problem, similar error codes, but on Intel Centrino..........I never though I'd say I missed Vista, but at least Vista would start.

BSOD,

Go to the main thread on this issue, page 12 and see my 2nd post from the bottom: http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&pageid=11

If none of those fixes work for you, you'll have to either remove SP3 or wait for the patch.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 10:16 AM
  •  Roaddog wrote:

Same problem, similar error codes, but on Intel Centrino..........I never though I'd say I missed Vista, but at least Vista would start.

BSOD,

Well.... one more time......

0x000000A5 - is the ASUS A8N32 SLI "not acpi compliant" issue. ( bad bios programming)

0x0000007E - is the AMD/Intel PPM Issue.

MS could/should have made a check in the SP3 setup routine to avoid this issue, even if the problem is caused by the computer manufacturer. ( They have not complied the the MS guidelines on building windows images for their PC's )

NOTE: Windows Update has a fix and will install the fix before SP3. Manual download and installation of SP3 will still create this problem. The fix can be manually downloaded at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/ to prevent the error.

YOUR ERROR:

0x0000007B - is an error reporting that Windows does not have any drivers for the harddisk controller.
    This error should only occur when (re-)installing windows on a relatively new computer.

You Computer manufacturer should provide the necessary files - and perhaps support.

The possible solutions to insert the driver are::

- Press F6 during setup and insert a floppy with the controller driver. ( USB stick emulated as floppy? )

- Go into the bios of the PC/Notebook and change the controller mode from AHCI to IDE /ATA /NORMAL The setting is not allways present.

- Get a Windows CD form the manufacturer modified for this specific computer model.
    ( HP and Lenovo ship for free for their computers. Don't know what others do. )

- Build a windows CD with the drivers included - this solution is not supported by microsoft - use Nlite, an equivalent program or microsofts own sysprep/RIS way.

Lars Kruse

Saturday, July 12, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Lars:

Lars Kruse wrote:

Well.... one more time......

0x000000A5 - is the ASUS A8N32 SLI "not acpi compliant" issue. ( bad bios programming)

That does not just happen on A8N32 SLI mobo's.

0x0000007E - is the AMD/Intel PPM Issue.

I can't tell exactly because of how you typed that ("AMD/Intel"), but that has nothing to do with Intel PC's, only certain AMD PC's.

MS is about to release a patch for the reboot loop/BSOD issue in about two weeks.  I do not know if this will also be for AMD PC's that have the intelppm.sys issue....in fact I'm not even positive if it's going to be for AMD PC's.  I just asked the MS employee, I'll post back what he says.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  Clint D wrote:
    MS is about to release a patch for the reboot loop/BSOD issue

For which reboot loop/BSOD issue?  There are several, and they are totally unrelated to each other.

I do not know if this will also be for AMD PC's that have the intelppm.sys issue

That fix has already been released: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

Saturday, July 12, 2008 6:36 PM
  •  rdhw wrote:

Clint D wrote:
    MS is about to release a patch for the reboot loop/BSOD issue

For which reboot loop/BSOD issue?  There are several, and they are totally unrelated to each other.

There's only one general "reboot loop/BSOD" issue (AMD platform intelppm.sys issue not withstanding which has another fix*).  "BSOD" is a generic term because the BSOD's associated with the infinite reboot loop can be different for each user.  While in my case I was usually getting the 0x0A STOP parameter 99% of the time, I saw maybe a total of 2 or 3 different BSOD's in my case, all associated with the reboot loop.  My fix (and the patch for it which I'm testing), works.  (Just FTR, those only saw the BSOD that had the option to "automatically restart on system failure" disabled.  If it was enabled then you didn't see the BSOD but instead got the reboot loop just before GUI load.  I know you know that, but like I said that's just FTR for those that don't).

I do not know if this will also be for AMD PC's that have the intelppm.sys issue

That fix has already been released: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

*Yes I know.   I was just stating that I don't know if this potential patch release addresses all of the reboot loop/BSOD's on both platforms.  FAIK it may only be for Intel platforms.  Or it may be for AMD PC's as well that have the issue and the intelppm.sys fix didn't work for them or it was N/A in their case.  Or still it could address all of the reboot loop issues.  I'm no expert when it comes to looking at unpacked _sfx_manifest_ files, but I don't think it addresses the intelppm.sys problem because I don't see it listed in the file, and because MS already has a patch for it.  (Interesting that I unpacked 953356 and I don't see reference to intelppm.sys in it.  I would have guessed it would have been listed to be deleted or the reg key listed, but again I'm no expert on manifest files).

Yesterday I asked an MS employee about the potential soon-to-be-released patch, I guess I'll hear from him Monday and I'll post back what he says.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 12:48 PM

Some of you may have heard about continuous reboot loops after upgrading an AMD-based system to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).

This is not a problem with AMD-based systems or AMD CPUs.  The issue is caused by the method in which the original, pre-installed version of Windows XP was customized during manufacturing by some PC Manufacturers (OEMs).  These OEMs loaded a Windows XP image originally created on an Intel-based machine onto computers with AMD processors, and then modified the image incorrectly for AMD CPUs. 

This is an imaging process that has never been supported by Microsoft because of the compatibility problems it can create.

The continual reboot issue was first discovered with the release of Windows XP SP2, and we determined the problem to be a modified registry entry incorrectly set as a result of the imaging process discussed above. During Windows XP SP3 beta testing (see KB888372), we inserted special code into the Windows XP SP3 installation software logic that preserved this registry setting so that customers would not experience this reboot problem again.  However, after the release, we received reports of customers experiencing the same problem when upgrading to Windows XP SP3. After investigating those reports, we discovered additional OEM workarounds to the original issue (see KB888372) that are causing the same problem to occur.

In these additional cases, when Windows XP SP3 is installed, this particular registry value is set to load intelppm.sys automatically (i.e.: at boot time).  When the driver loads on a system with an AMD processor, the system blue screens and instantaneously reboots.

We are working on a filter for Windows Update to detect the specifically affected AMD systems (not all AMD systems are affected, it appears to only be those with an image created on an Intel system and the missing registry key or file), and temporarily prevent these machines from installing Windows XP SP3.  Implementation of the filter us currently slated for the end of May.  Automatic distribution (AU) for XP SP3 is scheduled for implementation later this summer.  We are also investigating a hotfix that can be deployed over Windows Update.

In the meantime, any customers affected by this issue should contact Microsoft Customer Support Services for assistance. 

Thanks  Shashank Bansal [MSFT]

Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:55 PM
  • I'll just resign from the forum, since i apparently have lost the ability to write a message clearly.

Clint D - > Yes i know all the things you commented on my last post.

What i was trying to do was simply to repeat that there are several unrelated STOP errors.

Each has a very different cause and solution.

That was basically it.

Lars Kruse

Sunday, July 13, 2008 10:16 PM
  •  Lars Kruse wrote:

I'll just resign from the forum, since i apparently have lost the ability to write a message clearly.

Huh??   I feel that way sometimes too.

BTW, Robin & Lars, I found out this potential patch of which I spoke is also for AMD PC's with the reboot loop issue that is NOT caused by the intelppm.sys problem.

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:36 AM
  •  Clint D wrote:

BTW, Robin & Lars, I found out this potential patch of which I spoke is also for AMD PC's with the reboot loop issue that is NOT caused by the intelppm.sys problem.

Clint D, I have rather lost the thread of this thread.  What problem is this potential patch intended to fix?  Are there any more specific symtoms than a continuous reboot (or presumably a BSOD if you disable automatic restarts)?  How do we know it is specific to AMD processors? 

Monday, July 14, 2008 8:42 AM
  •  Alan B wrote:

Clint D, I have rather lost the thread of this thread.

Yeah that happens sometimes.  Me too, I'm probably partially to blame for it since I can ramble on.

What problem is this potential patch intended to fix?  Are there any more specific symtoms than a continuous reboot (or presumably a BSOD if you disable automatic restarts)?  How do we know it is specific to AMD processors? 

The "generic" "infinite reboot loop or BSOD" issue is not platform specific.  Again, this does NOT include the intelppm.sys issue which IS platform specific to AMD's only.  This potential patch of which I have spoke is supposed to fix (so they tell me, I assume) all of the reboot loop issues on BOTH platforms, intelppm.sys issues NOT withstanding.  I was told the patch is not processor dependent.

Obviously, there is more than one reboot loop/BSOD issue; one that's caused by the intelppm.sys problem, and the other that was finally narrowed down to be caused by some FireWire/1394 timing problems, specifically but possibly not limited to, the sbp2port.sys file problem.  I would guess you've probably seen it, but the main thread on this is http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3321844&siteid=17&pageid=33 , which (if you remember, or may not have noticed) is populated by both AMD and Intel users.

So it would seem that for AMD PC's, they can be afflicted by two different causes for their reboot loop/BSOD issue (which the BSOD STOP parameters may indicate).

No I have not heard of any other specific symptoms.  PC's would otherwise be totally asymptomatic.  IF a PC would finally end the loop or get past the BSOD and start and load, it would operate totally within normal established parameters.  Some people could get theirs to start, some could not.  In my particular case (Intel), if auto restarts was enabled, it would go into the infinite reboot loop.  But if I had auto restarts disabled, I could hit my case's reset button maybe 8-15 times, it varied, and I could finally get past the BSOD and into Windows.  Then all operated just fine, which is pretty typical for those few that could eventually get their PC's to load.

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:11 AM
  • I have this problem, that is on the agenda, and I dont know what to do. My computer just loops, so I havent acceptet the SP3, after I have sat the system back before it was upgraded.

Brgds

Peter Dresen

Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:18 PM
  • I have the exact same problem with my intel system. I crash every time windows starts loading.

I aske a MS tech and he said it was due to anti virus software which i dont even have. I cant even get into safe mode to do a system restore. To make matters even worse i recently moved and can not find my XP cd...

Is there any way to make a boot recovery disk??

Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:14 PM
  • After my first experience of continuos reboots with XP SP3 just installed (with a INTEL-based computer) I've "Delete and secure erase"-d the primary active partition, using the Norton issued program, to every computer I've formated and installed... If somone need to secure the informations on the hard disk it's easy and simple to configure the partitions from

the start - not bigger than 20 G - with this simple act of prudency. I've never experienced continuos rebooting after installing SP3, regardless the type of hard disk, motherboard or procesor. But I've never tempted to install SP3 on already configured XP computers... As we speak - I'm writing this upon an AMD based computer, initially installed with XP Vista and reconverted with XP Home Edition 2002 and fully updated up to extra 10 G of Microsoft Office 2003 and IE8-Beta2 software, complete equipments for internet and office aplications - after 24 hours of updating and functioning! But only following the lead method as shown before. Do... "break a legg"...so to speak!
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:18 AM
  • The problem also occurs on Intel based machines.  Your solution step#3 worked 100%.  Just keep in mind that the reconvery Dir command is limited. 

1. type "*Unin*.*" to list only the folders. 
    2. look for the latest timestamp
    3. cd to spunist folder
    4. run batch spuninst.txt

Thanks for the help.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:46 AM
  •  

Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:02 PM
  • This is all great information, but I'm working on a friend's computer that isn't loading the intelppm.sys file and that key doesn't show up in the Registry.  It appears to me then that whoever built his computer loaded the correct HAL for the AMD chip.  But as of yesterday when we downloaded and installed SP3, his computer will now only restart and not shutdown.

As with so many of the others, I'm extremely disappointed and concerned that MS isn't willing to take any ownership of this problem.  All I've seen are techs blaming the computer owner for their computer.  Troubleshooting is a pretty easy process if you use common sense.  So here's what I would consider common sense....

1.) Computer would shutdown correctly with SP2 installed.
    2.) SP3 installed as part of Windows Update.
    3.) Computer now will not shutdown, but only restarts.
    4.) There were no physical or software changes made EXCEPT that by the Microsoft Update and SP3.

Common sense tells me that there's an issue with SP3.  So, MS, FIX IT!  Don't send your techs to the thread and try and blame the computer or owner.  It worked fine before SP3, now it's broken.  Pretty simple logic here.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Steve, could you define more exactly what you mean by "will not shutdown, but only restarts"?  Can you describe the sequence of events that would reproduce the problem?

On the basis of what I have so far understood you to mean, then your symptoms do not match the issue which this thread is about, and none of the fixes earlier in this thread are relevant.

Is it possible that, when a shut-down is attempted, you are missing a Blue Screen crash, which then automatically leads to a restart?  If so, it is possible that an outdated hardware driver needs updating.

To make sure that  a Blue Screen crash sticks at the blue screen and does not automatically restart, open control panel "System", click tab "Advanced", in box "Startup and Recovery" click button "Settings", then uncheck the check-box "Automatically Restart".  Click OK all the way out again.

When you subsequently come to a blue screen crash, note down the row of numerical diagnostics and any textual information about the faulting module immediately after that row, and post the information (perhaps in a new thread) in this forum.

If the crash and automatic restart occurs before you are able to open a control panel, then use F8 during boot-up before the XP logo appears, so as to enter the F8 Boot Menu.  Select the menu entry that disables automatic restart after system error, and then allow XP to continue booting normally.
    Robin Walker
    Friday, February 20, 2009 11:37 AM
  • so what they paid for they all should be shot  MS should have to pay out like £1000 a day to every one thats  has this problem   and  the ppl who write this stuff like sp3 should all be  sacked then  they would test  these thing out proply and stop wasting our time and money 

Monday, September 14, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Well actually MS will respond if pushed. ABout May 08 I had this SP3/AMD problem with a Mesh 64 bit machine. Mesh washed their hands of it and so I researched the web and found MS willing to offer some initial help free. After a few hours on the phone wit India they concluded I will have to wipe the disac clean and do a re-install before trying SP3 upload again. I wasn't in a mood to accept that, having already wasted thousands of pounds on lost consulting time and faced with not only a simple back-up data transfer but re-installation of all my programmes and email accounts as well. We have about 50 accounts for our newsletters.

I managed to get a direct line to UK elevated support who admitted the problem was theirs and would do all thgey could to help.Further calls from India and hours and hours of wasted time resulted in a dead end. At this point I demanded compensation to get me back up and running again, and estimated many thousands of pounbds in lost opportunity time. I submitted about 50 pages of emails documenting all the correspondence and pathetic attempts from MS to solve it. Loads of phone calls not returned, emails not respnded to. I told them I'd never use MS again - not that tey really care a toss. The case was elevated to MS UK's Corporate and Legal Affairs Senio mgr who told me I had not a shred of evidence of lost business upon which to base a financial compensationclaim. He told me it would be thrown out of court.

At this point I pointed out that the financial estimate was simply to indicate the level of incopnvenience to me and I just want a solution and maybe some software compensation. They agreed to this - a free upgrade to Vista Ultimate and about 1000 pound of free software thrown in, as well as payment for an engineer to do the whole re-install, includsing all my data and programmes -wonderful!

Well, after many weeks of MS quibbling about the cost of the engineers and negoitiating with them and me about a fixed fee, I handed my PC over to be fixed. After it was returned it wasn't stable , kept blue screening, the network woudn't work and finally it crashed completely. So MS blamed the engineers and I let them fight it out. Eventually MS made a lump sum offer towards a new computer which I accepted, together with cost of set up by an engineer and free ongoing support for a period of months to get settled in. Well, the machine is here and working, just.But Visrta is ____, it crashes when uploading to the web and the free support is not forthcoming -all phopne calls and emails to the UK centre have been iognored.

So thanks MS for a bunch of ____ - your hardware, your IT support, your finanvcial compensationand also your promises. 1.5 years in and I estimate I have wasted about 15 days of my time on this which equates to 20,000 pounds of lost opportunity as a consultant. As a small business man I am truly pissed off and unimpressed. MS don't deserve their power and wealth.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:24 PM