none
Multi Platform ADMX files

Question

• Hi All,

I have an domain with runs Server 2012, Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 with office 2010 - 2016.  I want to apply the .admx templates supplied by MS.  I understand I have to place the .admx files in a central store, %systemroot% \sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions, but how do I separate them according to platform?  Do I create a folder per Os and Office version?

And is that sub folder structure, %systemroot% \sysvol\domain\policies\Windows10\PolicyDefinitions or %systemroot% \sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions\Windows10

Regards

Rhys
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:42 PM

Answers

• > /%systemroot%/\sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions, but how do I
    > separate them according to platform?  Do I create a folder per Os and
    > Office version?

No that's not possible. You need to put them all together...

But within gpedit, right clicking on the "Administrative Templates" node
    offers you to enable a filter, and in this filter, you can filter for
    "supported on".

• Marked as answer by Rhys Gottwald Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 2:46 PM
  •  Does the .admx for Windows 10 hold the settings for Windows 8?

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, most of the settings are not changed. Some new settings have been introduced in Windows 10 administrative template.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:30 AM

All replies

• > /%systemroot%/\sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions, but how do I
    > separate them according to platform?  Do I create a folder per Os and
    > Office version?

No that's not possible. You need to put them all together...

But within gpedit, right clicking on the "Administrative Templates" node
    offers you to enable a filter, and in this filter, you can filter for
    "supported on".

• Marked as answer by Rhys Gottwald Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 2:46 PM
  • All the .ADMX file should be placed in the default location.

To manage multiple versions of Office via Group Policy, you can create separate GPOs for eacg Office version, then set up a WMI filter for "only if Office 201x installed" and apply the filter to the matching GPO.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 5:06 AM
  • Thank you for the feedback, but my core question is more related to how do I store .admx for mutipel OS's or is this a moot point? Does the .admx for Windows 10 hold the settings for Windows 8?
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:17 AM
  • Thank you for the feedback, but my core question is more related to how do I store .admx for mutipel OS's or is this a moot point? Does the .admx for Windows 10 hold the settings for Windows 8?
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:17 AM
  •  Does the .admx for Windows 10 hold the settings for Windows 8?

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, most of the settings are not changed. Some new settings have been introduced in Windows 10 administrative template.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:30 AM
  • Thank you, that sorts it out for me.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:34 AM