none
How to capture a computer if you cannot log on ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we're having lots of fun here with MDT 2013, I really like this product and we do use quite a lot of the features it offers. But now we do have a peculiar situation : "they" told us to capture the image of an hard disk that was given to us. So we put it in a pc and booted it, which is OK. But "they" didn't give us the password to log on with. So has anybody have any idea if it's possible to sysprep and capture this thing? And how? Remember : you can't log on.

Any help would be appreceated !

Paul

• Edited by KZen Muug Monday, January 12, 2015 3:45 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 3:45 PM

Answers

• Typically you run sysprep as THE local admin (.\Administrator). If you are unable to log into .\Administrator I don't think you can do this.

What is Sysprep

You could boot to WinPE to capture an image of a partition though. Is that what you are asking? It doesn't meet the requirements of being sysprep'd though.

Capture Images of Hard Disk Partitions Using DISM

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 12, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Paul,

If you are syspreping the machine what the local admin password was shouldn't matter. Its what you set it to when you deploy the image again that is important.

So that being said you should be able to get what he wants the Local Admin password set to. login as local Admin. Sysprep and capture. Create a task sequence based on the capture and have the local admin password set in the customsettings.ini.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 19, 2015 9:16 PM

All replies

• Typically you run sysprep as THE local admin (.\Administrator). If you are unable to log into .\Administrator I don't think you can do this.

What is Sysprep

You could boot to WinPE to capture an image of a partition though. Is that what you are asking? It doesn't meet the requirements of being sysprep'd though.

Capture Images of Hard Disk Partitions Using DISM

Monday, January 12, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Hi Ty,

I'm very good aware that you have to be THE local admin to do the sysprep. :-) OK, so I guess I'll really have to have that local admin password!

Thanks,

Paul

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Hi Ty,

I'm very good aware that you have to be THE local admin to do the sysprep. :-) OK, so I guess I'll really have to have that local admin password!

Thanks,

Paul

Sorry. I wasn't trying to imply you were unaware of that. I was thinking about this and if you are able to log in as some other administrator you might be able to change the built in administrator password.

Friday, January 16, 2015 2:25 AM
  •  I was thinking about this and if you are able to log in as some other administrator you might be able to change the built in administrator password.

Ty,

we got this disk to capture because it's part of a Business Continuity Plan. The disk belongs to a client. We need to be able to deploy this image when our client demands it. The client doesn't want us to change his local administrator password. But they've made us another local admin with another password that we can use. So I was able to logon and to start the Capture-sequence which gave no errors. But afterwards I saw that a new administrator profile had been created while the original administrator-profile was renamed to administrator.computername. So now I've got that problem... Any idea how to solve that one?

Thanks,

Paul

Monday, January 19, 2015 10:53 AM
  • Paul,

If you are syspreping the machine what the local admin password was shouldn't matter. Its what you set it to when you deploy the image again that is important.

So that being said you should be able to get what he wants the Local Admin password set to. login as local Admin. Sysprep and capture. Create a task sequence based on the capture and have the local admin password set in the customsettings.ini.

Monday, January 19, 2015 9:16 PM
  •  Its what you set it to when you deploy the image again that is important.

So that being said you should be able to get what he wants the Local Admin password set to.

I see... in a word : they'll have to cooperate or I can't give them what they want. :-)

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:01 AM