Can I associate programs with file extensions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are just starting to use SharePoint, and our first task is to move in a number of documents that we have.  If I upload an Excel or Word document, SharePoint gives me the option to edit that document with the appropriate Microsoft product.  However, if I upload something like a text document, I have no edit choice.  Is there a way to associate a program (Notepad, 3rd party editor, etc) with other file extensions so that they can be opened / edited?

Sorry if this is vague or very basic, but we've kind of been thrown into this project.

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:40 PM

All replies

• First of all your question is valid and reasonable.

The functionality which you are looking for is only availalable for MS Office documents like word, excel etc.  You cannot edit notepad documents directly using edit option in the document library.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Isn't this a rather limiting feature for SharePoint?  I could understand if it was an file type from some obscure software package, but not even supporting text files?

These are mainly source scripts for building tables, views, etc, for various applications.  I suppose we could move them all to Word, but we have several hundred of them, so that would be a pain.  What does everyone else do in this case, open the SharePoint document, save it to a new location, edit it and then re-import it?

Thanks again for your reply.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Yes, i agree with the limitation.

The limitation is not 100% truely with sharepoint. If we need this feature to be implemented, the notepad application need to be customized. Then real essence light-weight nature of the notepad application is lost

Sunday, December 2, 2007 5:38 PM
  • I think the main point of difference between using the edit option in the drop down and simply downloading the document is that the edit option is intended only for applications that support working with sharepoint (so the application itself is able to handle things such as check-in/check-out, etc.).  So to open a text document just click to download it and your browser should be able to load the appropriate application.  At least that's the way I've understood it - maybe I'm off...
    Monday, December 3, 2007 12:49 AM