Win 8.1 slower than Win 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I just had Windows 8.1 upgrade from Windows 8. The update has slowed my new computer considerably down. Any reason for this?

Monday, October 21, 2013 4:58 AM

Answers

• Add the AppData folder to the search index, tis fixed the slow chars search for some users.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:06 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Explain more in detail what is slower compared to Windows 8.

Suggestions for asking a question on help forums
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:10 AM
    Answerer
  • All programs run and load slow. Even graphics are jittery and lags. I want to roll back to 8.0. And please don't tell me I have to run complete new setup on my brand new pc.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 9:12 AM
  • Restore a complete backup (if you have one).

Also post some hardware specs. Also make sure all drivers are up to date. Intel, AMD and nVIDIA are currently providing a lot of new drivers for 8.1

Monday, October 21, 2013 7:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Same problem here with Acer Iconia W700 (Core i5-3370 @1.70GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel graphics 4000, 128 GB SSD).
    Extremely slow typing and searching. Indexing has been running for 1-2 days and I assume it is finished. I also deleted the Data directory under Windows search  and rebuilt the indexes bit again nothing.  
    The upgrade from 8.0 Pro to 8.1 Pro run smoothly, all reboots have been performed and all drivers are up to date. I also run a windows performance recording test and things are confusing. The etl file shows that Windows Explorer is running very slow without the CPU going through the roof. Any ideas besides the obvious (Microsoft bug)?

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:26 PM
  • Add the AppData folder to the search index, tis fixed the slow chars search for some users.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:06 AM
    Answerer
  • It did the trick !! For some reason the included search directories were not the same as I had set them up in Win 8.0. I added 'AppData' as well (without the ~/Temp folder) and all seems to be working again. I will monitor for a few days and if something changes I will post again.

Thanks Andre!!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:05 PM
  • By this you mean adding it to the "Indexed Locations" when you go to "Indexing Options" and click "Modify"?
    Monday, March 17, 2014 6:03 PM
  • same problem with my dell inspiron 15r core i5 4th generation 6gb ram 2gb amd readon graphics card 1tb harddisk.My laptop becomes extremly slow after updating to 8.1.Browsing becomes very slow as well.
    Monday, April 28, 2014 7:22 AM
  • exactly same with me... i really want windows 8 again now

Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:07 PM
  • There are parts of the NTFS file system implementation that are MUCH slower in Win 8.1 than in its predecessors. A slowdown by 5x in the process for enumerating files in a folder is a good example, and this kind of activity is invoked almost every time any program does anything with the file system. Perhaps this is to support the online healing abilities, I don't know, but it can definitely be felt.

-Noel
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:13 PM
  • Holy mother of God! This actually seems to be working! I've upgraded to 8.1 twice now and and instead of once again downgrading, like before, i tried this and my machine somehow feels snappy again! Thanks! Can you explain what was going on there? I'd like to understand why that just worked.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:44 AM