ODBC DSNs and Linked Bubbles RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have APP1 in a bubble with a system ODBC DSN setting.   If I create an APP2, that is linked to APP1, should I be able to see and use the ODBC DSN in APP1 ?

Thanks
    Zukie
    Friday, November 6, 2009 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Yes, I believe so.

Would be a good idea to read the application virtualization sequencing whitepaper.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, November 6, 2009 6:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by zukie Monday, November 9, 2009 3:53 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 6:13 PM

• OK yes it does work.  I've gone back and put the DSN in the sequence and it worked. 

Previously I had set the DSN up on the machine after the sequenced application had been delivered - which didn't seem to work.

Thanks
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, I believe so.

Would be a good idea to read the application virtualization sequencing whitepaper.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, November 6, 2009 6:21 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 6:13 PM

• OK yes it does work.  I've gone back and put the DSN in the sequence and it worked. 

Previously I had set the DSN up on the machine after the sequenced application had been delivered - which didn't seem to work.

Thanks
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:53 PM
  • MS recommends to create an emty, not used ODBC connection on the Sequencer Image before Sequencing to avoid the issue you faced. ("Sequencing Guide" at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx)

If "a" ODBC connection already is part of the Sequencer Image, the Registry Hive "ODBC.INI" is considered as "pre-exisiting" for the Sequencer and thus it only virtualizes keys underneath of it.
    If "ODBC.INI" is not part of the Sequencer image, it gest created during Sequencing and the Sequencer fully virtualizes it - and therefor this "empty" or "wrong" ODBC connection overhelms any Local ODBC entry.

Also when using Dynamic Suiting you should have an empty ODBC connection before Sequencing, because otherwise on Virtual Envoronment's ODBCs could overwrite all other ODBCs...

Falko
    Monday, November 9, 2009 9:02 PM