Adding Announcements Web Part to Top Level Site RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Top Level Site and I want to add the Announcements WEb Part to it.

I have gone into the Web Part Gallery bu when I go to add the Announcements Web Part it is not there in the list so I can't add it.

The announcements Web Part comes as standard on the Team Site.

Does anyone know where I can get the Anouncements Web Part to add it to my Top Level Site ?

Thanks.

Monday, April 4, 2011 1:16 PM

Answers

• I believe that what you'll need to do is create an Announcements list in that top level site using the Announcements list template. Here's the steps I would suggest you take to check this all out:

1. Open the top level site and click on the "View All Site Content" link.
    2. Check the existing lists in your site and see if there is an Announcements list already present in your site.
    3. If there isn't, click the Create button at the top of the page, and create a new list using the Announcements list template.
    4. Once you've created the list, re-check the Web Part Gallery to see if there is now an Announcements web part available to be added to the home page of your top level site.

Here's why I suspect this is the issue. Whenever you create a new list in a SharePoint site, SharePoint automatically creates a list view web part tied to that new list. So when you create a Contacts list, there's also a list view web part created called Contacts that you can now add to pages in your site, and so on for just about any list in SharePoint, including the Announcements list. By default the Team Site site template includes an Announcements list that is generated when the site is created (along with its list view web part), which is probably why you're seeing it listed in your other site. But it sounds like your top level site was not created using that site template (or maybe your list was deleted at one point in that top level site, which means that the list view web part for it was also removed from the gallery), so the Announcements list still needs to be created.

Also, as Mike has mentioned, the more information you can provide about the environment you're seeing your issues in (such as SharePoint version: WSS vs MOSS, edition: Standard vs Enterprise, etc), the better opportunity you'll have for getting assistance on these forums. There's a lot of different ways that SharePoint can be implemented and set up, so giving us as much context as possible helps us help you better :)

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by JMcCon Monday, April 4, 2011 2:37 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:43 PM

All replies

• Which SharePoint ?
    SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:22 PM
  • I believe that what you'll need to do is create an Announcements list in that top level site using the Announcements list template. Here's the steps I would suggest you take to check this all out:

1. Open the top level site and click on the "View All Site Content" link.
    2. Check the existing lists in your site and see if there is an Announcements list already present in your site.
    3. If there isn't, click the Create button at the top of the page, and create a new list using the Announcements list template.
    4. Once you've created the list, re-check the Web Part Gallery to see if there is now an Announcements web part available to be added to the home page of your top level site.

Here's why I suspect this is the issue. Whenever you create a new list in a SharePoint site, SharePoint automatically creates a list view web part tied to that new list. So when you create a Contacts list, there's also a list view web part created called Contacts that you can now add to pages in your site, and so on for just about any list in SharePoint, including the Announcements list. By default the Team Site site template includes an Announcements list that is generated when the site is created (along with its list view web part), which is probably why you're seeing it listed in your other site. But it sounds like your top level site was not created using that site template (or maybe your list was deleted at one point in that top level site, which means that the list view web part for it was also removed from the gallery), so the Announcements list still needs to be created.

Also, as Mike has mentioned, the more information you can provide about the environment you're seeing your issues in (such as SharePoint version: WSS vs MOSS, edition: Standard vs Enterprise, etc), the better opportunity you'll have for getting assistance on these forums. There's a lot of different ways that SharePoint can be implemented and set up, so giving us as much context as possible helps us help you better :)

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Marked as answer by JMcCon Monday, April 4, 2011 2:37 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:43 PM
  • > Also, as Mike has mentioned, the more information you can provide about the environment you're seeing your issues in (such as SharePoint version: WSS vs MOSS, edition: Standard vs Enterprise, etc),

I was more bothered about a 2007 (or a 2003) product or a SP 2010 product, but the point is a good one.

Mike

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Thanks for the replies guys, I forgot myself there.

I am using MOSS 2007 Standard.

Thanks John. I tried your solution and it worked.

J.

Monday, April 4, 2011 2:37 PM