none
Printer deploy fails on new computers?

Question

• Hi,

I've been using Group Policy to deploy printers for a couple years now and generally speaking it's worked well.  I recently purchased a handful of new computers and am trying to roll them out to my users.  I've setup 5 computers in the last few days and they all get the same policies. 

Problem is, is that only one of the 8 or 10 printers in the policies is getting installed on these new computers.  All existing computers are working fine from what I can tell.

I checked GPResults /R and it reports that the policies are being applied.  I tried multiple reboots and even a few GPUpdate /Force commands.  Still no joy, as they say.

I thought I might have a time sync issue because of a warning in event viewer but I was able to get time to sync and that didn't help either.  Only related message I see in the event viewer is a warning about the Group Policy Client Side Extension Group Policy Drive Maps being unable to apply because changes must be processed before system startup or user logon.  But my drive maps are applying correctly.

Any thoughts as to what would cause this or any other troubleshooting steps I can take? 

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Oops, these are Windows 7 Pro 64-bit computers, BTW.  Same as all the computers in this OU.
    • Edited by lkubler Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:31 PM Added specifics about the desktops
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:09 PM

All replies

• Update KB3163912 made changes to the Windows Print Spooler and is causing us problems on Windows 10.

Maybe try uninstalling that update and see if you have any better luck?

EDIT:  Nevermind, wouldn't apply to Windows 7...

• Edited by dsuit Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:08 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Hi Linn,

Thanks for your post.

I thought I might have a time sync issue because of a warning in event viewer but I was able to get time to sync and that didn't help either. 

>>> To confirm that the Windows Time service was synchronized successfully with its time source when you ran the W32TM /resync command, verify that Event ID 35 appears in the Event Viewer.

If the time synchronized failed, I suggest you first to fix the time problem.

Please post the event relate with time sync to us for further research.

Only related message I see in the event viewer is a warning about the Group Policy Client Side Extension Group Policy Drive Maps being unable to apply because changes must be processed before system startup or user logon.  But my drive maps are applying correctly.

>>>Here is an article below may helpful to you to resolved the problem.

Event ID 1112 — Application of Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727266(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by lkubler Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:25 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Hi Jay,

When I run W32TM /resync I see an event in the System event log with event ID of 1 and the message says:

"The system time has changed to ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎18T20:04:26.567000000Z from ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎18T20:04:26.567000000Z."

And following the article you referenced, after the gpupdate I see two events in the System event log, event ID 1500 and 1501.   Which the article suggests means group policy was applied successfully.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Linn

Monday, July 18, 2016 8:15 PM
  • Hi Linn,

I am glad to hear that your problem has been resolved.

Please mark the reply which resolved your problem as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar issue.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Hi Jay,

I unproposed your reply as an answer because it doesn't address the original issue, which still exists.  My GP deployed printers aren't getting installed.

What I'm currently attempting to do is rebuild one of those computers from scratch. So I reinstalled Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and applied all 260+ updates. Now I'm saving an image so that I can start over if necessary. Once the image has been saved I'll add the computer to my domain and see if the printers install correctly.

I'll let you all know what I find.

Thanks,

Linn

Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Ok, well that was a big fat flop.  I'm stumped.  I'm guessing there is some kind of conflict with one of the recent updates but I don't know how to isolate that now. 

I was thinking about the other side of the equation, the Domain Controller, I haven't applied any of the recent updates to it so there have been no changes on that end.  I am thinking I will give it a reboot one of these nights and see if that helps, it's been running for a long time since the last reboot.

Any other suggestions, tips on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks much,

Linn

Thursday, July 21, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Ok, well that was a big fat flop.  I'm stumped.  I'm guessing there is some kind of conflict with one of the recent updates but I don't know how to isolate that now. 

I was thinking about the other side of the equation, the Domain Controller, I haven't applied any of the recent updates to it so there have been no changes on that end.  I am thinking I will give it a reboot one of these nights and see if that helps, it's been running for a long time since the last reboot.

Any other suggestions, tips on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks much,

Linn

Hi everyone,

I have exactely the same issue, I think.

First of all, sorry for my english. :)

My printers are deployed by GPO with logon script pushprinterconnections.exe, this work since 2 years perfectly but, with the KB3159398 deployement I had the problem described in this page (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/fr-FR/e2ebead9-b30d-4789-a151-5c7783dbbe34/patch-tuesday-kb3159398?forum=winserverGP) and the solution proposed worked fine...

But, I noticed yesterday that on computers "freshly" reinstalled, printers didn't installed any more. A GPResult informs me that the GPO is applied to the computers but no printer is installed. No error message in the eventlog, not of log either for pushprinterconnections.exe (while the -log is specified).

I specify that the problem also occurs with all GPO installing printers for everybody too, just having the "Authenticated users" filter and that were this one the only printers to install correctly when I met the KB3159398 problem (problem which affected only printers installed according to the user membership in the specific UOs)...

I tried many reboot, many gpupdate /force on client side, not on server side for the moment (some updates are in waiting on my servers)... I tried this maybe tonight if I can...

I hope you understand me...

• Edited by Eilkh Friday, July 22, 2016 9:58 AM
    Friday, July 22, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Ok, I think I found something.

We have four printers which install for every users with only "Authenticated users" for filter in the GPO.

These printers are :

• two CANON iR-ADV C5235
    • one CANON iR-ADV C5240
    • one CANON iR-ADV C5250

The CANON iR-ADV C5235 and CANON iR-ADV C5240 uses the same driver but the CANON iR-ADV C5250 use a different one.

I made this test :

with an user account X on a computer installed since a few months, printers are correctly installed.
    with the same user account X on an another computer installed yesterday : printers are not installed.

I manually installed one of CANON iR-ADV C5235 since the user account X (directly from the print server shared link since the explorer), this one installed correctly.

I uninstalled the printer, make a GPUPDATE /FORCE then a restart and there, magic : I find my two CANON iR-ADV C5235 and my CANON iR-ADV C5240 (who, I repeat, uses the same driver). Only misse the CANON iR-ADV C5250 (because the driver is not installed on the computer).

The problem thus would come from the drivers installations which is not made when the GPO applies to the computer.

But I have no logs of what it takes place during the application of the GPO...
    • Edited by Eilkh Friday, July 22, 2016 11:14 AM
    Friday, July 22, 2016 11:05 AM
  • > The problem thus would come from the drivers installations which is not
    > made when the GPO applies to the computer.

Let me cite

"Issuing a warning to users who attempt to install untrusted printer
    drivers"

If you install through GPP, there is no UI and the warning does not show
    up, but it still is present and prevents driver installation.

According to several posts, "untrusted" here means "it is not a driver
    package".

Friday, July 22, 2016 12:11 PM
  • Hi Martin,

So do you suppose uninstalling KB3170455 would solve the problem? 

I'll check into new drivers for the printers but I seriously doubt they will have any.

Thanks,

Linn

Monday, July 25, 2016 12:55 PM
  • > So do you suppose uninstalling KB3170455 would solve the problem?

Give it a try - should not take more than 15 minutes. I cannot assist -
    we do verify all drivers prior to production release, and all of them
    are signed package drivers.

Monday, July 25, 2016 1:43 PM
  • I confirm : uninstalling update "solve" the problem. ;)

But, if this update fixe an issue, the best solution is not uninstall her...

We must find an another solution for deploying drivers correctly, no ?

I try to configure the "Point & Print Restrictions" but no success after many gpupdate /force with reboot.

After upgrading the printers drivers on the print server, all the clients needs to update these drivers.

With P&PR configured, for some users it's ok, drivers updated after rebooting but for some others, I need to uninstall KB...

For facility, because I can't let my users with no printers, I uninstalled KB directly from WSUS.

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Yes, uninstalling it did work for me too... well, on one machine so far.  But yeah, not the best solution.

How does one know if the driver packages are signed or not?

Thanks,

Linn

Monday, July 25, 2016 4:14 PM
  • > How does one know if the driver packages are signed or not?

IF there's a cat file in the directory, it is most probably signed. But
    the common problem is not that they are unsigned, but that they are not
    "package drivers".

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

Just an update.  One of the many printers that should be deploying on this computer is a Sharp MX-M363n and on their web site I found a driver called: Windows 64 bit OS Print Driver Package for Jupiter3, whatever Jupiter3 is.

So I downloaded it and installed in on my server, rebooted the server and, alas, it did not help.

This was tested on a computer that still has KB3170455 installed.  Might just have to accept I can't have that patch installed.

Thanks,

Linn

Thursday, July 28, 2016 8:58 PM
  • > driver called: Windows 64 bit OS Print Driver Package

Calling the download a "Driver package" does not neccessarily mean it in
    fact IS a package driver  :-))

Monday, August 01, 2016 2:26 PM