none
Image Capture fails RRS feed

• Question

• Using MDT 2012 I've installed a previously captured image from my deployment share. Updated the load and am trying to capture the updated load but the capture fails part way through. The capture works perfectly when I build a load from scratch. It only fails when try to capture a system that I've loaded from my deployment share. What am I doing wrong?

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:47 PM

Answers

• The preferred method of updating your source images is with a Virtual machine... Hyper-V or VMware usually.  

1. Build your source image on a VM, don't install any VM tools other than whatever driver you need to get full harddrive and network access.
    2. Configure your user preferences as the default "Administrator" account. 
    3. Update all your patches and everything.  
    4. Snapshot the machine with the virtual host.
    5. Sysprep and Capture it with MDT.
    6. Revert to previous snapshot.

You can repeat steps 3-6 every 3 months or so.  That saves you having to redo your preferences and you don't have to rebuild the deployment.  Just capture it, import the capture then point your task to the new import.

--smthng

• Edited by smthng Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by okydoky Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:07 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:42 PM

All replies

• With Windows Vista,7 and 8, re-loading a captured image back into MDT and then re-capturing it yet again is not a supported scenario. With Vista and newer, you can only do that 3 three times before sysprep fails. This is by design.

How do you know it failed? Is there an error? where did the error occur? Can you upload the logs to a public share like SkyDrive? What OS were you running?

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:05 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. The image is x64 windows7. It fails with an error but at this time I don't have the ID#. I try to update my images every 3 months to get them current on patches, not only for the OS but add any additional apps or updated apps to the load. Because of the failures I've experienced I've been building the new the loads from scratch which takes longer. It would be much easier to load a system with an image I already have, do the work on it that I need to do, then capture it, but if MDT is designed to prevent that I'll just continue to build from scratch.
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:47 PM
  • The preferred method of updating your source images is with a Virtual machine... Hyper-V or VMware usually.  

1. Build your source image on a VM, don't install any VM tools other than whatever driver you need to get full harddrive and network access.
    2. Configure your user preferences as the default "Administrator" account. 
    3. Update all your patches and everything.  
    4. Snapshot the machine with the virtual host.
    5. Sysprep and Capture it with MDT.
    6. Revert to previous snapshot.

You can repeat steps 3-6 every 3 months or so.  That saves you having to redo your preferences and you don't have to rebuild the deployment.  Just capture it, import the capture then point your task to the new import.

--smthng

• Edited by smthng Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by okydoky Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:07 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:42 PM