none
New DMA Protection Group Policy Breaks Wireless on v1709 RRS feed

All replies

• Sorry, works as intended. Microsoft says: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057300/devices-not-working-before-log-on-a-computer-running-windows-10-1709

Now tell the device manufacturer to change their drivers.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 9:16 PM
  • Do I need to update my BIOS/UEFI and my drivers for this to work? Or will MS should have an update in the future to fix this?
    Sunday, January 7, 2018 12:11 PM
  • Following what Microsoft says now, you will need new drivers. MS will not change that behavior.
    Monday, January 8, 2018 7:24 AM
  • I did some testing by reinstalling Windows 10, then first updating ALL Windows updates and drivers and after that enabled BitLocker encryption with the DMA protection GPO enabled. The next morning when I turned ON my laptop, my wireless was active. However, when I set the DMA protection to Not Configured again, after a reboot the issue started again.

So once the hard drive is encrypted with BitLocker with the DMA protection GPO enabled, this GPO setting should not be touched once its enabled for the very first time during the BitLocker encryption process?

• Edited by Andrew.S.B Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:58 AM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 7:19 PM
  • This settings needs 2 reboots. Because it is a setting that says how to act on a reboot, it cannot become active on the next reboot and also no become deactivated on the following reboot but only on the 2nd reboot - sounds weird, but I had seen the same behavior. So unfortunately, the problem is still there for you and it does not matter when to set the policy - you need no drivers or you have to disable the policy.

Tell your manufacturer.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:33 AM
  • So how come on v1703 it was working with no issues?

Maybe it is because v1709 needs a whole new latest set of drivers to work with?

And what drivers do I need among the wireless?

Do I need to also update the Chipset as well? Or only the Wireless driver?

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:33 PM
  • Read the article that I linked, it's all in there. MS says, the previous versions did not use this setting "consistently". Now they do ;-)

What drivers you need? Who know. But most probably only for the failing device.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:34 AM