none
Trying to Download Free Trial of Project Professional 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to download the free trial version of Project Professional 2010.  I get through the registration, and then get a pop up box that says I have to download the "Akamai Netsession Interface".  I don't want to install this.  Is this required for a successful installation?  I've tried to close the box, but the Technet Evaluation Center never moves from "currently downloading" in the "my actions" box.  I receive an e-mail saying "thank you for downloading" but cannot find the program anywhere on my computer.  

Am I doing something wrong?  Thanks for any help!

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:34 AM

All replies

• The 2010 version is not the current version. You might have better luck going for the 2013 version trial from Microsoft.

You might try buying the 2010 version online, which is perfectly adequate, and legal licences are available less expensive than the current version.

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:59 AM
  • By the way, you don't need the pro version and don't have any use for it unless you are in a project server environment, so you would be better of going for a standard version if you want to have a taste and test, and also when you buy.
    Monday, November 10, 2014 5:01 AM
  • If you are downloading from TechNet then you are likely to not have a choice on standard vs pro, and will get Pro by default.

I don't have an answer to your Akamai issue, expect to say that both MS and Adobe use this as a delivery mechanism.

Re Pro vs Standard, Pro has several features that standard does not, including

1. Ability to publish tasks to a sharepoint list.

2. A view called the Team Planner

3. The ability to have "inactive tasks"

4. The ability to connect to Project Server.

The scheduling features of both products are the same.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Monday, November 10, 2014 7:14 AM
  • I suggest installing Akami.  As Ben notes, both Microsoft and Adobe use it to ensure a successful download.  If you were able to download successfully, it will likely be in the Downloads folder and may be an img file, not an *.exe file.
    Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:45 PM