none
DPM licensing Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone help me out with my situation. I want to protect two Hyper-V R2
    servers in a Hyper-V cluster (storage HP P2000 G3) each running 4 virtual
    machines and an additional non-Hyper-V physical server (this one will
    probably have the DPM server installed) using DPM.

One of the VMs will host Exchange the rest will host a mix of DC, DNS, CA,
    Radius, FS, FTP, Print no SQL or such.
    I want to protect the hosts (with BMR) as well as all the guests..

Am I correct in assuming I need:

1 x Data Protection Manager Server License,
    2 x Enterprise Data Protection ML and
    1 x Standard Data Protection ML.

Please be as verbose as possible when describing since I don't want to get
    the wrong licenses (upgrading the licence later on will be a problem).
    Monday, May 17, 2010 7:07 AM

Answers

• Two protect two hyper-V machines 2 enterprise licenses are fine, DPM server license is a must. I am not sure why the standard license is required here, are trying to protect DPM server using it, there is no need of client license if you are protectin DPM server itself. Hope its more clear to you.
    Praveen D [MSFT]
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:02 AM

All replies

• Two protect two hyper-V machines 2 enterprise licenses are fine, DPM server license is a must. I am not sure why the standard license is required here, are trying to protect DPM server using it, there is no need of client license if you are protectin DPM server itself. Hope its more clear to you.
    Praveen D [MSFT]
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Thank you so, so much for this reply. I've never dealt with DPM and the licensing esp. pertaining to virtual machines/servers wasn't clear for me.

Yes, the Standard was meant for the server itself, great news that it's not needed.

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:21 AM
    Praveen D [MSFT]

Do you need 1 x Enterprise Data Protection ML per Hyper-V host (unlimited guest vm's) or is this licensed per vm?

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/data-protection-manager/dpm-pricing-licensing.aspx

The above site makes no mention of a DPM Server License, has that changed? or does this sku still exist?

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:34 PM