none
Can't log in as an administrator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently inherited my deceased mother's laptop. I wanted to make myself the administrator instead of her, but I have made a mess of it and now cannot log in as an administrator at all.

I made 2 mistakes: first, when adding myself as a user, I incorrectly entered my hotmail address, putting .com on the end instead of .co.uk ( I rarely use this email so had forgotten it).

Then, I went and lost the password which I used when entering the incorrect email address as a user.

So now, at the sign-in screen, I am presented with 2 options: sign in as an administrator with an incorrect account and unknown password, or sign in as a local user with a PIN. I can do the latter so at least I can get onto the laptop, but I can't make any changes to it.

I have tried downloading various 'password unlocker' programs but none of them have worked for me.

I no longer have the option of signing in with my mother's password, which I was doing up until I made these stupid changes... 

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Monday, September 18, 2017 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can enable hidden admin account to get authority over machine and then manage your system:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-lost-administrative-rights-in-windows-10

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, September 18, 2017 8:53 AM
  • Hi Barry,

>>when adding myself as a user, I incorrectly entered my hotmail address

Since you could add an user account, you were using an admin account at that time, on login interface, just enter that admin account’s credential to log on enter system, then you could change settings.

If you have clicked Sign in with a Microsoft account instead local account option, and, enter the incorrect email address, your original password can’t be passed, once pass, it indicates that this account is available. If your Microsoft account shows on the login interface, just use your original password to see the result.

Good luck.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:05 AM