Report timeout in Sharepoint Integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a small Sharepoint 2010 farm where the report server (which also has the database for the report data) and WFE are on separate machines. The web application that uses the reports is using Claims Authentication (Windows integration - NTLM) in order to pass the token within the farm. Most of the reports run fine with the exception of one whose sql query alone takes upto 8 mins to run via SSMS. The problem report can run for over 15 minutes until it throws a timeout ("System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out" found in the WFE Sharepoint logs) however if the report is refined by changing a report parameter then it could take 8 minutes before throwing a timeout.

In the report server logs the error is "WriteCallback(): failed to write in write callback...........BaseWorkerRequest::SendHttpResponse(bool), exception=System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070016): The device does not recognize the command"

I have increased the timeouts in the rsreportserver.config and web.config on the report server and the web.config for the web application especially the session state (using sql server) to times inexcess of the timeouts that are occuring for the report. I have also increased timeouts in IIS for the connection limits etc. None of the changes seem to have made any increases to the timeout. Based on the errors on both servers, its possible that the report server generates the report, but when it attempts to pass back to the WFE it throws the timeout exception since the session had already expired?

Any assistance would be much appreciated

Thanks

Justin

Friday, December 9, 2011 6:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Justw,

Is this T-SQL query one complex T-SQL query or returns large amount records? Please try to run T-SQL query in SSMS directly and using the Database Engine Tuning advisor to get some help.

Thanks,
    Sharp Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Sharp Wang Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharp Wang Monday, December 19, 2011 3:30 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Justw,

Is this T-SQL query one complex T-SQL query or returns large amount records? Please try to run T-SQL query in SSMS directly and using the Database Engine Tuning advisor to get some help.

Thanks,
    Sharp Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Sharp Wang Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharp Wang Monday, December 19, 2011 3:30 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Hi Justin,

How did you fix your problem?

We are also getting the same problem. Even though we have increased timeouts in ALL ReportManager,ReportServer & the WebApplictiona, we are stil getting the timeout error when we try to exprot excel

However, we are able to download the excel from one o the servers in the production server's newtork.

Thanks,

Prawin

Prawin

Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:18 PM
  • Hi Prawin,

I was not able to fix the problem. The timeout occured when returning the entire result set, so I set the defaults on the report parameters to filter based on the requirement for most users. The timeout was occuring on display of the report, so I wasnt about to try the export to excel anyway.

I  ran the T-SQL query in SSMS directly, but I wasn't able to refine the query.

If I get back to this and find a solution then i will post it here

Best regards,

Justin

Sunday, March 11, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you enabled caching (and cahce refresh plan?) for the report?

Thanks

Prawin

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:10 AM