none
DPM 2012 SP1: Moved Backups to new Protection Groups - Disc Space is not freed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had to split two PGs into smaller ones. The PGs contained Hyper-V Backups (Child Partition Backup) from a Hyper-V Cluster.

I removed the Hyper-V machines from the PG and created new PGs, then added the Hyper-V machines to the new groups.

Now 2 problems occurred:

1. For one machine, DPM did not pick up the inactive protection. This is our Mail Server (Exchange 2010). DPM created a new volume, completely ignoring the inactive protection data. I have tried several times, every time with the same result. Any idea what could cause this?

2. For all other machines, DPM picked up the inactive protection data fine but did not free the disc space.
    At the beginning of the procedure I had more than 2.5 TB of free disk space. Now I have the same amount of data in my PGs but only have 260 GB disk space left. It seems that DPM created new volumes, copied the data from the old ones but forgot to delete the old ones after copying.
    Is there a way to recover the lost space?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards

Uwe

Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please review the following blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/11/03/protect-unprotect-protect-unprotect-understanding-how-dpm-2010-retention-works.aspx  - it helps explain the underworkings of co-located data sources like Hyper-V.

Old disk space will not be freed up until:

A) All old recovery points are expired.
    B) All co-located datasources that were on the old volumes are moved to new volume(s)

Lets say you have 5 VM' co-located on one replica, and you move 4 of them.  Those 4 will be on a new replica, but the space they consumed on the original replica cannot be reclaimed back into the DPM storage pool until the 5th is also moved, and the recovery points for all 5 have expired.  Now that isn't to say that if you cannot or don't want to move the 5th that the space on that replica is wasted, - it just cannot be reused for non-hyper-v data source.  Once the old recovery points expire for the 4 VM's that were moved, the old replica and recovery point volumes will contain more free space and next time you go to protect a new VM in the same PG as VM5, it can be placed on the same replica.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

one addition:

I've added the allocated disk space of all my protection groups (as seen on the protection tab). They add up to 15.350 GB. The disk has 20.250 GB and reports only 230 GB free.

Any idea where the missing 4.900 GB went?

Regards

Uwe

Friday, March 29, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

Please review the following blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/11/03/protect-unprotect-protect-unprotect-understanding-how-dpm-2010-retention-works.aspx  - it helps explain the underworkings of co-located data sources like Hyper-V.

Old disk space will not be freed up until:

A) All old recovery points are expired.
    B) All co-located datasources that were on the old volumes are moved to new volume(s)

Lets say you have 5 VM' co-located on one replica, and you move 4 of them.  Those 4 will be on a new replica, but the space they consumed on the original replica cannot be reclaimed back into the DPM storage pool until the 5th is also moved, and the recovery points for all 5 have expired.  Now that isn't to say that if you cannot or don't want to move the 5th that the space on that replica is wasted, - it just cannot be reused for non-hyper-v data source.  Once the old recovery points expire for the 4 VM's that were moved, the old replica and recovery point volumes will contain more free space and next time you go to protect a new VM in the same PG as VM5, it can be placed on the same replica.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:10 PM
  • Mike,

thanks for your reply. So I will wait for 7 days (that's the time we keep backups on disk) and see if my disc space returns.

I'll post the result here. If everything works as expected, I'll mark the answer.

Any idea why it didn't pick up the exchange datasource?

Best regards

Uwe

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:23 PM
  • Hi,

Q) Any idea why it didn't pick up the exchange datasource?

A) If DPM is not removing the data source from inactive protection when you re-protect it, one of two possibilities.

1) You originally had disk and tape protection, and you added it to a new protection group that just has disk protection, so what is in inactive is for the tape backups.

2) Something changed the Virtual Machine ID GUID, so DPM intent manager sees the VM as a different data source and thus protects it as a new data source.

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:47 PM
  • Mike,
    thanks for the reply. 1) could not be since the new PG has disk and tape protection as well.

2) might be the reason. I'm quite sure that the GUID didn't change but I remember vaguely that there was a typo in the machine's name that I corrected a long time ago. I had to do some changes in SCVMM after that but cannot remember if I had to change anything in DPM. Maybe that's the reason.

After this week I will delete the disk protection points, hopefully recovering the disk space.

Regards

Uwe

Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

today my disk space is back as Mike proposed.

Mike, thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

Uwe

Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:09 PM