Laptop shutting down during windows 10 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Mine is Dell Inspiron N5010 4 years old laptop. I tried to install windows 10 free upgrade but after loading the files on boot screen laptop is shutting down and if i restart then it restoring to an old restore point. However my windows 7 is working fine with no issues. Please help me in upgrading to windows 10.

Laptop details:

Model - DELL Inspiron N5010

RAM - 4 GB

HD - 320 GB

Processor - Intel Core i3

OS - Windows 7 64 bit

Note: Recently upgraded my BIOS driver but faced no issues with Windows 7, however AMD Catalyst display driver is crashing sometimes and a restart is fixing that.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sometimes it could be caused by an incompatible driver which failed the installation process. Test to upgrade drivers before installing Windows 10, or uninstall an old driver to see if Windows 10 could be installed.

You can also run the compatible checking:

Right click on the Get Windows 10 icon and choose Check your upgrade status. Click the menu over top left (looks like 3 lines) and choose Check your PC. See if there is any hardware compatible issue. 

Another possible cause is that the installation package you downloaded via Windows Update is incomplete. In order to avoid this issue you can download the ISO instead  and build a DVD for installation. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 10, 2015 1:58 AM

All replies

• Are you using Windows installer media to upgrade?

Are you seeing Windows 10 upgrade notification?

Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:04 PM
  • I have a Samsung NP365E5C-S03US

Ram 4GB

HD 500GB

Processor: AMD A6-4400M APU

Windows 8.1 64bit

Computer powers completely off at 30% copying files during Windows 10 upgrade.

Restart does a "restoring previous OS"

Friday, August 7, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

Sometimes it could be caused by an incompatible driver which failed the installation process. Test to upgrade drivers before installing Windows 10, or uninstall an old driver to see if Windows 10 could be installed.

You can also run the compatible checking:

Right click on the Get Windows 10 icon and choose Check your upgrade status. Click the menu over top left (looks like 3 lines) and choose Check your PC. See if there is any hardware compatible issue. 

Another possible cause is that the installation package you downloaded via Windows Update is incomplete. In order to avoid this issue you can download the ISO instead  and build a DVD for installation. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 10, 2015 1:58 AM
  • Hi, 

I am facing the same problem during the upgrade. Once the installation is complete, when I reach the page where I'm told to sit back and relax while the files are being copied, the computer shuts down abruptly (when the process is 4% complete). I tried the 'Check your PC' option and the hardware seems to be compatible. Could you please tell me how I can test to upgrade drivers before installing Windows 10, or uninstall an old driver to see if Windows 10 could be installed? I have a Lenovo L412/Intel Core i5 processor/2.40 GHz/4GB RAM.

Thanks!

Monday, September 21, 2015 3:48 AM