User profile service failed the logon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're having the problem of "user profile service failed the logon" with mandatory roaming profiles.  I attempted to implement a group policy which deletes local profiles but the event viewer actually reports that the profiles were not deleted because they are in use.  Strangely enough, this problem disappeared for approximately 2 weeks after this was implemented.  Now, the problem is back again.  The only solution is to delete the registry entry for the user, and have them log in.  This allows the user to log in once, before receiving the same user profile service failed the logon again.  I originally assumed it was part of the default profile but why would the problem have fixed itself and then started again?  There are also a lot of username.001 temp files in the profile folder.  Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• When a user is not able to logon, is another user (or you as admin) still able to logon ? If yes, can you check the following registry key for me :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

I have a slightly different problem that results in the same error. In my case, the user has his own entry in the ProfileList. That entry is renamed to.bak and a new entry is created. This new entry points to a non-existing profile folder. Not being able to find that folder, the user profile service gives up.

Also, are your users working with roaming profiles that they cannot change to local, or are they using mandatory profiles ? If they are mandatory, most likely they are all the same and there is not a direct reason to make them roaming.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Please refer to this KB: Error message: "The User Profile Servic faled thelogon. User profie cannot be loaded", when logging on to Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:33 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:25 AM