Using the auto generated team site as the main site? RRS feed

• Question

• We are a small company moving to SharePoint Online. Our primary need is cloud file storage and more advanced document management, but we might want to try out Teams in the near future. We already have Office 365 groups in use and one of them is for all workers, let's call this "Group All".

What I cannot figure out is should we:

1. use the auto-generated SharePoint site for "Group All" as the main file storage or

2. build the main file storage on the classic root site and use the "Group All" site for Teams purposes only.

I want the experience to be simple. With option 1 we'd have a connection to Teams but does it just make things confusing? With option 2 I'd create a document library for each department (or other main category) but no sub-sites. But then why not to do that with the "Group All" site?

Any good advice for a small company?

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Oliver,

I suggest you to use your 1st option since you already have one Office 365 group called "Group All". so you can add your existing office 365 group to Teams and you can create multiple channel for each department and you can maintain separate permission level for each channel.

this article may help you to understand the groups and channels in Teams .https://www.cwps.com/blog/microsoft-teams-vs-groups-vs-channels

Thivagar SEGAR
    [If this Post helps you, then please don't forget to mark it answer or Vote for this post]

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:32 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I don't think channels can handle separate permission levels yet?

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:40 PM
  • Hi  Oliver,

1.Files uploaded in teams are stored in the team site, it doesn't confuse things.

2.You can remove permission to create a subsite.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Monday, June 17, 2019 8:43 AM
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:09 AM
  • I'm still a little unsure about this. This is the main question:

Is it good practise to design a company's SharePoint Online structure on top of Teams sites only?

Monday, June 17, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Hi Oliver,

The team Site is a Site Collection, you can create multiple sub sites in team site.

You don't have to worry about this, it won't affect your use.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:10 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, OK, I understand this. What confuses me is when users go to https://contoso.sharepoint.com they are taken to a root site and as far as I know I cannot disable this site and automatically redirect them to a specific team site, in my case the "Group All" team site.

So is it good practise not to use the actual root site at all? And then how to hide it from users?

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Hi Oliver ,

1.Not to use the actual root site at all won't make much difference.

It's like you have some other site collections now, some of them in use, some not, it won't have any impact.

And you can also see that site that is not in use does not take up your use space.

2.By design, we cannot hide it from users.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Thank you for your patience. That wasn't all that intuitive.

I will use the auto-created "Group All" Team site collection as my base. No sub-sites for simplicity. The default "Documents" document library will be reserved for Teams connected stuff. For other documents and files I will create separate document libraries at the root of "Group All" team site.

EDIT, UPDATE:
    Now I understand why that is not practical. If the structure is:

Documents (default document library)
    --- General channel folder
    --- Custom channel folder 1
    --- Custom channel folder 2
    --- Custom channel folder 3
    Custom document library 1
    Custom document library 2
    Custom document library 3

...and I'd have a custom channel called "Marketing" and a custom document library called "Marketing", the main storage of marketing files, there's going to be a sync name conflict. Both the channel folder and the library would appear in the file explorer as "Group All - Marketing".

Maybe that's a reason to have the main file storage on a separate site (/site collection), such as the root site.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 10:38 AM
  • Hi Oliver,

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:41 AM
  • Hi  ,

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Friday, July 5, 2019 7:49 AM