none
Bitlocker, no option to encrypt data drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully encrypted my Operating System Drive with bitlocker in windows 8. Next I wanted to encrypt my data drive, however there was no option to do so, bitlocker is greyed out on that drive. Is there anything I can do to encrypt my data drive?

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:01 PM

Answers

• I figured it out. I realized that the windows installer used my data drive as the System partition instead of creating a 100-350MB partition on the primary hard drive like it usually does. For obvious reasons Bitlocker cannot be used on the system partition.

So I moved my data off the partition, shrinking it down to 350MB and then made a new partition on the secondary hard drive for my data and will Bitlocker encrypt that. 

Thanks for your help!

• Marked as answer by DrewG.33 Friday, September 21, 2012 12:15 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you Windows  8 machine is clean install or upgrade from Windows 7?

I suggest to update BIOS first, and you can also try to create another administrator account and login to see if the same issue occurs.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:09 AM
  • We have two computers (same model, on the same domain) that were both clean installs of Windows 8 and are both doing the same thing. 

I have just tried a BIOS update and using another admin account, and it did not change anything. 

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

Please go to control panel\BitLocker Drive Encryption to see if drive D can turn on BitLocker there.

Furthermore, try to disjoin the domain to see if it works. Sometimes the GPO on the domain affect this behavior.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:24 AM
  • I figured it out. I realized that the windows installer used my data drive as the System partition instead of creating a 100-350MB partition on the primary hard drive like it usually does. For obvious reasons Bitlocker cannot be used on the system partition.

So I moved my data off the partition, shrinking it down to 350MB and then made a new partition on the secondary hard drive for my data and will Bitlocker encrypt that. 

Thanks for your help!

• Marked as answer by DrewG.33 Friday, September 21, 2012 12:15 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 12:15 PM