none
Understanding Crawled and Managed Properties RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I'm doing a Migration from ESP 5.3 to FS4SP. With a vast ESP knowledge, I'm trying to understand FS4SP with ESP as my base knowledge.

I created a contentsource started indexing a SP site.

During the indexing (Crawl is yet to get complete), I create a Managed property from the powershell,

$cp = New-FASTSearchMetadataCrawledProperty -Name docsource -Propset 48385c54-cdfc-4e84-8117-c95b3cf8911c -VariantType 31
    $mp = New-FASTSearchMetadataManagedProperty -Name docsource –type 1
    $mp.StemmingEnabled=0
    $mp.RefinementEnabled=1
    $mp.MergeCrawledProperties=1
    $mp.Update()
    New-FASTSearchMetadataCrawledPropertyMapping -ManagedProperty $mp -CrawledProperty $cp

I think this created a crawled and managed property called docsource and mapped them.

After this I started seeing an error in my search page, 

Property doesn't exist or is used in a manner inconsistent with schema settings

Then after deleting the contentsource I got rid of this error..

Now here is the question,

While indexing a document I need to have a searchable field whose value will be a static one. So I will create a managed property and  I will deploy a custom stage which will assign the static value to that managed property. During this do i have to create a crawled property? I'm asking because, the managed property is going to gets its value from the custom stage and not from the source itself.

Do tell me if my question is confusing.. And sry I'm silly.

Much Thanks!!

Freddie Maize ..A story with Glory is History. Doesn’t matter whether Glory rest in the world of Demon or God. Lets create History..
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Experts,

I'm doing a Migration from ESP 5.3 to FS4SP. With a vast ESP knowledge, I'm trying to understand FS4SP with ESP as my base knowledge.

During the indexing (Crawl is yet to get complete), I create a Managed property from the powershell,

$cp = New-FASTSearchMetadataCrawledProperty -Name docsource -Propset 48385c54-cdfc-4e84-8117-c95b3cf8911c -VariantType 31
    $mp.StemmingEnabled=0
    $mp.RefinementEnabled=1
    $mp.Update()
    New-FASTSearchMetadataCrawledPropertyMapping -ManagedProperty $mp -CrawledProperty $cp

I think this created a crawled and managed property called docsource and mapped them.

While indexing a document I need to have a searchable field whose value will be a static one. So I will create a managed property and  I will deploy a custom stage which will assign the static value to that managed property. During this do i have to create a crawled property? I'm asking because, the managed property is going to gets its value from the custom stage and not from the source itself.

Much Thanks!!

Freddie Maize ..A story with Glory is History. Doesn’t matter whether Glory rest in the world of Demon or God. Lets create History..

Hello Freddie,

Yes, you have to create a crawled property where you assign your static value, and then map it to a managed property which you use on the query end (eg. the search center).

Definition is as follows:

crawled property: A type of metadata that can be discovered during a crawl and applied to one or more items. It can be promoted to a managed property.

managed property: A specific property that is part of a metadata schema. It can be exposed for use in search queries that are executed from the user interface.

Make sure your managed property is QueryEnabled as well (which it should be by default). As for the error, how are you using the managed property "docsource" on the search center (refinement config, core results config)?

Regards
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Experts,

$mp.StemmingEnabled=0
    $mp.RefinementEnabled=1
    $mp.Update()

Much Thanks!!

Hello Freddie,

Yes, you have to create a crawled property where you assign your static value, and then map it to a managed property which you use on the query end (eg. the search center).

Definition is as follows:

crawled property: A type of metadata that can be discovered during a crawl and applied to one or more items. It can be promoted to a managed property.

managed property: A specific property that is part of a metadata schema. It can be exposed for use in search queries that are executed from the user interface.

Make sure your managed property is QueryEnabled as well (which it should be by default). As for the error, how are you using the managed property "docsource" on the search center (refinement config, core results config)?

Regards
    Mikael Svenson 

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Definition is as follows:

Hi Mike,

This makes me understand things better.. 

>>As for the error, how are you using the managed property "docsource" on the search center (refinement config, core results config)?

In fact as both.. The error is gone, like I mentioned in the first post. But I'm just wondering how the error is gone. Things that I did are, I deleted the ContentSource which are running.. 

I also got this KB article which talks about the same exact error,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2468431..

Can you plz help me answering this question? In a case where a ContentSource is indexing documents, can I create a new crawled and managed property and map them and sure the new filed by adding them in my search core web part? 

I'm asking becuase, I did the same exact thing to get this error.. And I'm trying the same again!!

Much Thanks!!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Hello Freddie,

Excellent KB article which I hadn't read! And it talks about issues which happen when you execute operations which modify the index schema. Sometimes the bliss operation fails, as it does on ESP as well, and you have to redo it in order to get all components back in sync.

Restarting the QR server will resolve most issues from this problem.

I saw this numerous times when teaching FS4SP courses before the summer, and we can only hope it gets more stable along the way.

-m

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:35 PM