none
MS Project 2010 delete double links (Predecessors and Successors) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi together,

I have another issue where someone of you may can help me with a little Macro.

I created a new Schedule Version on the Project Server which has many links to other Schedules.

At the begining everything was perfect but now the old links came up to the Schedule.

Now I have around 1000 links which are not correct.

They should be linked e.g. to the Schedule "<>\Projectname_Software_V3_Schedule\512".

But now they have all two predessors and successors:

"<>\Projectname_Software_V2_Schedule\512,<>\Projectname_Software_V3_Schedule\512"

Do you have an idea how to solve it without deleting it by hand one after the other.

A VBA Macro would be may help here. Or?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Br
    Tobias

Monday, July 31, 2017 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Tobias,

Why don't you use the find and replace feature (CTRL+F)? You can select on which column you apply the replace. So you could run it on the predecessor column and run as following:

FIND: <>\Projectname_Software_V2_Schedule\

REPLACE: <>\Projectname_Software_V3_Schedule\

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, July 31, 2017 11:11 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

thanks for the answer but it doesn't work because I would have the links twice.
    I got the message from MS Project: "There was a problem linking these tasks. You cannot link a predecessor twice to the same successor task"

Br,

Tobias

Monday, July 31, 2017 12:28 PM
  • Tobias,

It sounds like you have a corrupt linking structure, one in which there are links fragments left over because someone didn't properly break and save.

I have a macro that may or may not be able to help you but it is not freeware (i.e. it has a license fee). It is designed to convert a dynamic master with inter-project links between subproject tasks and convert it to a dynamic master wherein all inter-project links are converted to normal predecessors/successors. Not exactly the issue you describe but the process used by the macro should be adaptable to your needs.

If you are interested or would like to discuss your issue further in off-line communication you can contact me at the address below. I will ask some questions.

John

jmacprojataticloucdotdotcom

(remove obvious redundancies)

Monday, July 31, 2017 12:48 PM
  • Then why not doing this:

FIND: "<>\Projectname_Software_V2_Schedule\512,"

REPLACE: ""

Hope this helps,

Monday, July 31, 2017 12:48 PM
  • Hi Guillaume, Hi Jon,

thanks for the fast reply!

@Guillaume: That only works for one link but not for hundreds.

@Jon: I will get in touch with you if no one else can help me.

Any other idea?

Br,
    Tobias

Monday, July 31, 2017 1:21 PM
  • I understand you don't want to do it with "find and replace" if you have 1000 sub-projects, but if you have just a few of them, it will be faster that writing a macro (unless John does it). If you don't want to do it manually with CRTL+F (find and replace), I guess your option is to take John's proposal.

That being said, you should also review your versioning process. For example, keep the up to date version with the same name like "_current" and archive the old versions with a version name. Doing this, your interproject links will always be right.

Hope this helps,

Monday, July 31, 2017 1:29 PM