Exchange Server 2007 email & Blackberry RRS feed

• Question

• We are running Exchange 2007 and have a few Blackberry users.  We do not have a Blackberry Enterprise Server and do not plan on getting one.  Emails flow to and from the Blackberrys.  However, when a user opens an email on Outlook 2007 that has been opened already on the Blackberry device, the email is resent to the Blackberry device.  Is there any way to stop this?

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:57 PM

Answers

• IMAP4 and POP3 work very well in Exchange 2007. I don't know of any email client using Exchange 2007 IMAP4 or POP3 that have had an issue with duplications. I think the issue is with the Blackberry POP client on the device. When you use POP with BB, there is no Push function (On the back end) so your device pull polls the mail box. The duplication happens when the device pulls the data. 

I recommend having a look at Blackberry BIS, which communications through OWA. This allows you to use Calendar synching. BIS can use OWA web services (WebDav) to sync, rather than POP or IMAP.

As I don't think this is an Exchange issue, you are best contacting RIM to troubleshoot this further. If you still think this is a POP issue then setup Outlook express to see if it duplicates the entries. If no duplicates, then it’s a BB issue.

Cheers wayne
    Airloom

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Wei Monday, May 11, 2009 7:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Friday, May 15, 2009 7:06 AM
    Friday, May 8, 2009 6:21 AM

All replies

• I'd say that's strange... How are the BlackBerry devices accessing Exchange - through IMAP? Is the mail marked as read or unread in Outlook after it has been opened on the BlackBerry? (For instance that the read status is not synced back to Exchange, and reading it in Outlook triggers something on the BlackBerry) And if you're using IMAP - are you using scheduled sync or push?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:53 PM
  • I have to say this is bizarre behaviour. How do you setup the device ? Are these BIS accounts rather than BES accounts ?
    I recommend contacting RIM for a better idea on how to troubleshoot this.

Cheers Wayne
    Airllom

Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:25 AM
  • The Blackberry devices are accessing Exchange through pop.  The emails are marked read in Outlook when accessed on the Blackberry. When a user click on the email on Outlook that is marked read, it is resent to device.  Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 5:29 PM
  • The device is set up by using setup on the device and inserting email address and password.  We do not have a Blackberry Enterprise Server and do not intend on installing one.  It has worked fine until recently, no changes have been made to the settings or the Exchange server.  Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 5:34 PM
  • IMAP4 and POP3 work very well in Exchange 2007. I don't know of any email client using Exchange 2007 IMAP4 or POP3 that have had an issue with duplications. I think the issue is with the Blackberry POP client on the device. When you use POP with BB, there is no Push function (On the back end) so your device pull polls the mail box. The duplication happens when the device pulls the data. 

I recommend having a look at Blackberry BIS, which communications through OWA. This allows you to use Calendar synching. BIS can use OWA web services (WebDav) to sync, rather than POP or IMAP.

As I don't think this is an Exchange issue, you are best contacting RIM to troubleshoot this further. If you still think this is a POP issue then setup Outlook express to see if it duplicates the entries. If no duplicates, then it’s a BB issue.

Cheers wayne
    Airloom

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Wei Monday, May 11, 2009 7:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Friday, May 15, 2009 7:06 AM
    Friday, May 8, 2009 6:21 AM