Navigate partitions from Taskbar- how do I ? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm able to navigate partitions via the shortcut in the Jump List, this requires 3 stops (click Start-mouse to Documents-mouse to C:).

Is it possible to have that shortcut in the Taskbar or Quick Launch toolbar while retaining it's navigation abilities so it's a single click or mouse over, (C:)?

Friday, August 27, 2010 5:38 PM

Answers

• Ah I understand.  You can't do this from an icon on the taskbar, but if you create a toolbar, it will work similar to the same function in Windows 95-XP.

1 - Right-click a blank area of the taskbar and choose Toolbars > New Toolbar.

2 - Navigate to your desktop/Computer and highlight the C drive, then click "Select Folder"

3 - A new toolbar will appear on your taskbar such as that you can click the arrow on the toolbar to explore the drive as an expandable menu.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Selvan777 Monday, August 30, 2010 5:54 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 4:43 PM

All replies

• If I understand you correctly, you wish the default folder that opens when you click the Explorer icon to be the C: drive, correct?  If this is the case, here's how to set it.  If not, kindly reply back with additional details:

1 - Right-click the Explorer icon in the Taskbar, then right-click the "Windows Explorer" item in the Jump list. Choose Properties.

2 - In the Target box, you should see this text already:  %windir%\explorer.exe

Add a space, then C: to the target box.  Altogether, it should look like this:  %windir%\explorer.exe c:

3 - Click OK to save the changes.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, August 30, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Thanks but no, I want to be able to navigate the partitions (c:, d:) like in the image below but from the Taskbar or Quick Launch which is hidden just above the system tray.

http://img833.imageshack.us/i/51245350.gif/][IMG]http://a.imageshack.us/img833/5881/51245350.th.gif

Monday, August 30, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Ah I understand.  You can't do this from an icon on the taskbar, but if you create a toolbar, it will work similar to the same function in Windows 95-XP.

1 - Right-click a blank area of the taskbar and choose Toolbars > New Toolbar.

2 - Navigate to your desktop/Computer and highlight the C drive, then click "Select Folder"

3 - A new toolbar will appear on your taskbar such as that you can click the arrow on the toolbar to explore the drive as an expandable menu.

• Marked as answer by Selvan777 Monday, August 30, 2010 5:54 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Thanks for that although I've decided to not use it because it just takes up way too much screen space.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 5:55 PM
  • You can also add Computer, rather than going the additional step and selecting a drive under Computer, as a New Toolbar, then when you click on it, your drives are listed vertically for you to select form.

Photobucket

Rich All software is bug-free, assuming sufficiently clever definitions of "feature" and "expected behaviour" - Steve Rehrauer
    Monday, August 30, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Hey, I can live with that, thanks a bunch for the trouble with the pic.

Let me ask you, do you use Quick Launch on Windows 7?

Monday, August 30, 2010 7:03 PM
  • I personally do not, because it's mostly just duplication.  For example, why have one Outlook icon in the QuickLaunch, another one for the running program that is Outlook, and yet a third one over by the clock just to remind me I have Outlook running.

Basically, I like "one icon to rule them all" that the default provides.

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:59 PM
  • It is duplication, but on this family laptop, I need it.

All of us use the icons in the the taskbar but, I use the quick launch to hide my routine maintenance tasks apps and the like at the opposite end.

Anyway, the reason I asked is because I can't figure out how to make the double arrow stay above all the icons rather than staying below only the first row of icons.  Mine is a left positioned task bar and I currently have to use 2 invisible folders to fill that top row.

Monday, August 30, 2010 10:18 PM
  • You can't do this from an icon on the taskbar
    Ofcourse you can pin partitions, folders, network shares and files to taskbar:

Pin folder to taskbar
    Pin file to taskbar
    Friday, September 3, 2010 11:24 AM