none
Why is the tape export so slow? Am I doing something wrong? RRS feed

• Question

• I am fairly new with DPM (taken over from previous administrator).  Learning as I go.  The forum has been a great resource to learn more about the product.

I am running DPM 2010 on a physical box (DELL PE1950) with 8GB RAM. 
    I have a DELL ML6000 LTO3 tape library attached. 
    I have 10 protection groups.
    I Just attached the tape library recently to test and to start using tape for the long term storage.

I am in the Management|Libraries

When I see the tape showing "Offsite Ready", I right click on the tape and select "Remove tape (I/E port)..." and it takes 5 minutes to export the tape and additional 15 seconds for refresh or something before it allows me to export another tape. 

Is this normal?  Ugh, it is not very efficient.

Also, while this is exporting I can't do anything else within DPM until that process is done.  [Enhancement Request: do it in the background]

[Enhancement Request: I wish that this would allow you to multi-select tapes to export]

Also, I get a slew of emails (only enabled critical emails) when the tape is exported.  I have exported 4 tapes and have received 33 emails.  Why all the emails????

[I am done venting]  Sorry.

The following alert occurred at 8/5/2011 7:46:46 AM.
    Tape Library : Dell ML6000 Tape Library
    Tape: Exchange - Daily-00000031 (000199)
    Description: Detailed tape inventory failed Operation failed since the slot 18 in library Dell ML6000 Tape Library was empty. This tape is currently present in I/E Port slot 2
    For more information, open DPM Administrator Console and review the alert details in the Monitoring task area.

Friday, August 5, 2011 3:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I can adress a few of these. 

A) Download the DPMTapeErase utility from here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b03306b628ab886f&sc=documents&id=B03306B628AB886F%21524

It will contain mct utility to test changer operations.

The utilities are not that user friendly, but here are the basics.

Always Stop DPMLA Service prior to running MCT.EXE Commands.

NET STOP DPMLA

For MCT utility we have the  -m [MOVE] command to move media around inside the library.

C:\>mct-x64 0 -m

Opening changer \\.\Changer0
    MoveMedium : mct -m t N s\d N s\d N   [Where s/d means Slot or Drive and N is ZERO based].

Some Examples:

mct-x64 -m t 0 s 0 d 0    (Using transport-0, move media from slot-0  to drive-0)
    mct-x64 -m t 0 d 0 s 0    (Using transport-0, move media from drive-0 to slot-0)
    mct-x64 -m t 0 s 0 s 100  (Using transport-0, move media from slot-0  to slot-100)
    mct-x64 -m t 0 d 0 d 1    (Using transport-0, move media from drive-0 to drive-1)
    mct-x64 -m t 0 s 0 ie 0   (Using transport-0, move media from slot-0  to IEPort 0)

So see how long it takes this utility to move a tape from a slot to the IEport.

B) Multi-select option - not all tape libraries have multiple export ports.

C) DPM alert consolidation will be better in DPM2012.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 7:16 PM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:02 PM