Alert rule - Lync 2013 MP - Call reliability alert RRS feed

• Question

• We have SCOM 2012 and use Lync 2013 MP to monitor Lync environment. There is an alert in SCOM created by rule Call reliability alert rule from Lync MP. It is generated based on event ID 1122 from Operations Manager event log. In details there is a following info:

The failure happens for the following modalities:
    Media Type = Audio
    Distinct Users Impacted = 2
    Total Calls = 156
    Failed Calls = 2
    Failure Percentage = 1.2820512820500

This alert is generating quite often but everything is working ok, no problems with Lync. I am wondering how I can tune this rule to not generate alerts so often, only when there is a real problem. E.g. is it possible to generate alert based on the failure percentage value (this is a body of event id 1122)?

I checked override options for this alert rule but not sure what I can do

Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi bbelko

There is one more collection rules is involved in this process, you can override the values to reduce calll reliability alerts.

If the value changed then the alerts will reduce based on criteria.

above mentioned values are default ,  you can set as per your organization.

check and update the result  here that will useful to others to find.

Hope you got some info.

Thanks & Regards, Kesa_Kara

• Proposed as answer by kesa_kara Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by bbelko Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:44 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I can see, there is no parameter that can be used to set the failure percentage, so we can disable this monitor by overriding it.

And then we may create an event monitor based on the event 1122, and we can choose what parameter to use as the event expression. Please choose Use parameter name not specified above.

More detailed information please refer to the below link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2008/04/22/using-event-description-as-criteria-for-a-rule.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

Friday, September 26, 2014 7:09 AM
  • Thanks for the replay, nice article. But I cannot resolve my problem using this EventDescription Parameter name. I tested it and it looks like there is no way to match exactly specified phase e.g. "Failure Percentage = 1"

I am creating events (event ID 99) using eventcreate cmd line program for tests. When I put in a body of event id text:

"Failure Percentage = 3" monitor is creating alert even if it is setup like on the below picture

Please advice

Friday, September 26, 2014 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my understanding, you got wrong elert based on the monitor configuration. If that is the case, would you please try another EventDescription, and check the result.

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Here is a screenshot of Alert generated by Rule in SCOM. You can see description. My thought is to disable this rule and create new monitor based on event id and EventDescription field - I think the best match is to use e.g. "Failure Percentage = 5" phrase. I tested it and it does not work for me. See previous answer in this post. Thanks

Monday, September 29, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Hi bbelko

There is one more collection rules is involved in this process, you can override the values to reduce calll reliability alerts.

If the value changed then the alerts will reduce based on criteria.

above mentioned values are default ,  you can set as per your organization.

check and update the result  here that will useful to others to find.

Hope you got some info.

Thanks & Regards, Kesa_Kara

• Proposed as answer by kesa_kara Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by bbelko Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:44 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 3:40 PM