none
Custom cost (Cost1) fields to timephased view in Task Usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    Apologies in advance if this is somewhere else....I've been searching for hours and have come up empty. 

I have a project where I'd like to have timephased cost data shown for Summary Tasks when looking at the Task Usage view. The issue is, I want to do this only for the fixed costs, NOT the total costs (which have resources and materials summed up as well). I've already found another helpful forum that indicates that for some reason the default "Fixed Cost" field does not roll up to the summary level, which I was able to get around by creating a custom field for Cost1 which simply sums up the fixed costs within that summary. Link for that is at the bottom of the post, in case that's a part of the problem. You can see this illustrated in the screen shot below (circled in green for my custom field and red for the default....you can see how the Calc Fixed Costs roll up to the summary level, whereas the default Fixed Cost field does not)....so that's all ok, and seemingly off to a good start. 

However - What I would like to be able to do now, is to have my calculated Fixed Cost field in Green carry over to the timephased portion. When I go to the field selection options under Usage Details however, neither my custom field, or even the default "Cost1" placeholder is available to choose. Does anyone know how I can do this? Looking at the help files, it seems like it should be? But I'll be honest the whole assignment thing is something I'm just starting to understand. 

So - any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm banging my head against this thing. If clarification is needed, I'm glad to elaborate. Thank you!! 

NOTE -  I am unable to post a link or screencap until my account is verified.... will try to update the post with this info when I have access. 

Monday, June 17, 2019 5:24 PM

Answers

• jp02145,

I thought Dale might check back in but if not, let me offer this workaround.

Baseline fields are timescaled. If you isolate fixed costs with separate tasks (i.e. no material or labor), then you can use the Baseline1 Cost field as a rollup. I'd use a filter to isolate those tasks with fixed costs and then set Baseline1 for those selected tasks.

By using one of the extra Baseline Cost fields (i.e. Baseline1 through Baseline10), you can get a separate fixed cost rollup and still have normal baseline tracking in the default Baseline fields.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:53 PM

All replies

• jp02145 --

The reason that the Fixed Cost amounts do not roll up to summary tasks is so that you can enter a Fixed Cost amount on any type of task, including summary tasks.  This is by design and is not a bug.  Your use of a custom Cost field is sound, but I have some bad news for you:  the Cost for custom Cost fields cannot be shown as timephased data in the timephased grid of either the Task Usage or Resource Usage views.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, June 17, 2019 6:33 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thank you for the quick reply and thorough response.  That makes perfect sense re: why the fixed cost fields do not roll up. 

Regarding the custom cost fields not being shown in the timephased data grid - Ahh! That is really unfortunate. Could you comment then on the following blurb from the MS Project help page? Reading this, it would seem to me that this would be possible, but as admitted, the "assignment" concept is still a bit obtuse to me... Thanks in advance!

Cost1-10 (assignment field)

Entry Type    Entered

Best Uses    Add one of the Cost fields to the timephased portion of the Task Usage or Resource Usage view whenever you want to add custom currency data to assignment information.

Example    You want to track high and low estimated costs in your project. You can enter the highest estimated cost for an assignment in the Cost1 field and the lowest estimated cost in the Cost2 field.

Monday, June 17, 2019 6:41 PM
  • jp02145,

Pardon my jumping in. You mentioned that the Assignment concept is a bit obtuse. Maybe the following Wiki article will help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31991.ms-project-data-types-task-resource-assignment.aspx

John

Monday, June 17, 2019 7:52 PM
  • Hi John, thanks for the info. I don't think it helps with my issue, but helps clarify the concept. Appreciate it!
    Monday, June 17, 2019 8:58 PM
  • jp02145 --

The Help article is simply incorrect.  Users cannot display custom Cost fields in the timephased grid.  Custom Cost fields can be added to the table on the left side of the Task Usage and Resource Usage views, but cannot be added to the timephased grid portion of each view.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, June 17, 2019 9:41 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Disappointing, but at least I can take some solace in knowing that it wasn't my own inability, ha!  

Since you've been so helpful, I'll ask another....do any immediate workarounds come to mind?  I was wondering if there was some way to enter the fixed cost data in one of the other (existing) cost fields that I know will be available in the timephased grid, but none of the available ones immediately jumped to mind. 

Thanks for all the help....I rarely post on forums, but I should more....can save a lot of headaches!!

JP

Monday, June 17, 2019 10:04 PM
  • jp02145,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 1:50 AM
  • jp02145,

I thought Dale might check back in but if not, let me offer this workaround.

Baseline fields are timescaled. If you isolate fixed costs with separate tasks (i.e. no material or labor), then you can use the Baseline1 Cost field as a rollup. I'd use a filter to isolate those tasks with fixed costs and then set Baseline1 for those selected tasks.

By using one of the extra Baseline Cost fields (i.e. Baseline1 through Baseline10), you can get a separate fixed cost rollup and still have normal baseline tracking in the default Baseline fields.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:53 PM
  • Hi John,

Excellent....I was picturing something like this, let me give it a go. Thanks for the follow up!!

JP

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 3:37 PM
  • John --

Brilliant idea.  Thanks for sharing!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 4:31 PM
  • jp02145,

Again, you're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Hope the workaround can work for you, but if not.... (yeah, I've got long sleeves)

John

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:44 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:45 PM