none
Upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• hello my desktop is running windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and I am looking to upgrade to 64 bit

i was wondering how to do this and how much it would cost. My computer is 64 bit compatible. 

any help is appreciated. 

Thank you,

Jim

Friday, July 6, 2012 11:20 PM

Answers

• You'd need to do a custom (clean) install. An upgrade-in-place (that preserves installed programs) is not possible.

I have read that your 32 bit license key could be used to activate a 64 bit installation, even if it's an OEM license. The cost should be zero, if you want to go to X64 Home Premium. I haven't done it myself, although I can assure you that a retail upgrade key works with both 32 and 64 bit installers.

For a how-to, read this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html

It's mainly intended for those wanting to do a clean install to get rid of all the extraneous software that is often installed on a commercial PC (HP, Dell, etc.), but it gives instructions on where to download a legitimate copy of Windows, and how to use it.

• Edited by bobkn Sunday, July 8, 2012 5:57 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TSModerator Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:06 AM
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 1:02 AM

All replies

• You'd need to do a custom (clean) install. An upgrade-in-place (that preserves installed programs) is not possible.

I have read that your 32 bit license key could be used to activate a 64 bit installation, even if it's an OEM license. The cost should be zero, if you want to go to X64 Home Premium. I haven't done it myself, although I can assure you that a retail upgrade key works with both 32 and 64 bit installers.

For a how-to, read this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html

It's mainly intended for those wanting to do a clean install to get rid of all the extraneous software that is often installed on a commercial PC (HP, Dell, etc.), but it gives instructions on where to download a legitimate copy of Windows, and how to use it.

• Edited by bobkn Sunday, July 8, 2012 5:57 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TSModerator Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:06 AM
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 1:02 AM
  • before doing Upgrade Process you must Run The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to show you if your computer is compatible or not !

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

After that go to    :

Right click on --> Computer --> Properties --> Windows Anytime Upgrade --> it show you the costs.

Regards,

MCT / MCITP / MCTS / MCSA / C|EH

Saturday, July 7, 2012 1:25 PM
  • First of all, you have to know that you cannot upgrade a 32 bit operating system to a 64 bit one: you have to perform a clean installation.
    Provided that your system can support the execution of a 64 bit operating system (i.e.: there are 64 bit drivers for all the devices installed) and that all your applications can be executed in a 64 bit operating system (this is particularly important for all the applications that deeply interact with the OS, like antivirus programs), you have to perform a full backup of your data before starting the OS installation.
    Finally, if you have on OEM License (Windows pre-installed on your PC), you have to ask the computer's manufacturer for the installation disc of the 64 bit version of the operating system; otherwise, if you have a Retail License, you probably have both the 32 bit and the 64 bit installation discs and the Product Key will work fine for the 64 bit OS installation too.
    If you do not have the 64 bit Windows installation system, you'll have to buy a new Retail License: in that case, I recommend you to buy at least the Professional Edition of Windows 7.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Saturday, July 7, 2012 4:50 PM