How to Fix Orphaned List Column? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a case where a list column is showing up under Library Settings, but is not available to add to the Document content type.  This is was apparently not always the case, as there are several documents in this library that currenty have data in this column. But it no longer appears on their view or edit forms (just the list view) and, as I stated before, cannot be added (does not appear on the list of available columns when I go to add it to the conent type). Any idea what caused this and how it can be resolved without losing the existing data?
    • Edited by S_Sanchez Friday, January 15, 2016 5:38 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 5:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi S_Sanchez,

From your description, there is an orphaned list column that cannot be added into list content type or displayed in edit view.

I have done test in my environment but cannot reproduce the issue.

Per my research, deleting and recreating the column seems to be the only way to deal with an orphaned column.

Since some documents have data in this column, as a workaround, you need to create a custom workflow to set the data to a new column, then delete the old column.

Best regards,

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 10:10 AM
  • Thanks for your response. I ended up creating a new column and manually copying the data over. However, now I notice that I don't have the option of deleting the problematic column from List Settings.  I can change the name and description, but there is no button to delete, as list columns usually have.  I suppose I could just remove it from all views and forget about it, but I would find it a little disconcerting to just leave it there.  Would you recommend I try brute force deleting it using PowerShell?
    • Edited by S_Sanchez Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:27 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:26 PM
  • Hi S_Sanchez,

Per my research, yes, you will need PowerShell if you cannot delete the column from UI. Here is a similar case for reference:

http://sharepointinsimple.blogspot.jp/2012/05/i-cannot-delete-this-column-from-my.html   

Best regards,

Aaren liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything updates?

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps.

Best Regards

Aaren liu

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:23 AM