Vista - Problems with vista rembering my screen configurations with additional monitors RRS feed

• Question

• I am having this recurring problems with a dvi and a dvi/usb display adapter for 2 additional monitors. I have a NEC Versa P8310 centrino core 2 duo. I finally went to the NVDIA website and downloaded the latest driver for my cpu. Ever since my problem have compounded to Vista reverting back to the original screen configuration each time it is in screen save mode never mind in hibernating or cold shut down.

How can I fix this annoying problem? Thanks in advance

Sunday, August 28, 2011 12:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is the latest Nvdia driver compatible with Windows Vista? Are you running SP1 or SP2?

Please confirm that.

Meanwhile, as this issue is roughly Nvdia driver related issue, they have their own display control panel. The previous temp file was corrupt and causing the problem. It is suggest to reinstall the Nvdia control panel if there is.

I believe Nvdia support would be the best resrouce for the time being.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 2, 2011 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Can you explain it a bit more fully? For example, what exactly are the issues you are experiencing and how long have they been occuring before you downloaded the new driver. Also if you notice any error messages, or screen flickering, monitors switching off etc.

Apologies for this not being an answer but you may find an answer will present a lot quicker if you provide more details

Cathal

Cathal O'Brien BSc, PgDip, PhD . Techsmart IT Support | Computer Repairs
    Monday, August 29, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Hi Cathal,

My original issue as I have been reading several website was that Vista had this problem of remembering screen configurations with various solutions like altering the TMM etc. This problem was solved in the past when I downloaded the NVDIA drivers and re-install. It worked for a while but the problem persist. I re-installed the NVDIA drivers and the icon now appears on the tray. If I left click to open the icon, it keeps saying that an older version is running. I thought the re-install would wipe out any older version. So now instead of the screen configuration altering in hibernation or shut down, it is altered whenever it goes into screen saver mode. I have just made the problem worse.

I hope that explains better what my problem is.

Cheers,

James

Monday, August 29, 2011 11:32 PM
  • Hi Joe,

I must admit I'm not sure of the exact nature of your problem but I might suggest reinstalling your drivers and NVIDIA software from scratch. To begin uninstall your software from the 'Control Panel' > 'Add/Remove programs' option. Then Right click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. From the computer management screen select Device manager. In the 'Display adapters' section right click your graphics card and select 'Uninstall'. This will uninstall your driver. Restart the computer and reinstall the up to date version of your NVIDIA software.

Hope this helps,

Cathal

Cathal O'Brien BSc, PgDip, PhD . Techsmart IT Support | Computer Repairs
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

Is the latest Nvdia driver compatible with Windows Vista? Are you running SP1 or SP2?

Please confirm that.

Meanwhile, as this issue is roughly Nvdia driver related issue, they have their own display control panel. The previous temp file was corrupt and causing the problem. It is suggest to reinstall the Nvdia control panel if there is.

I believe Nvdia support would be the best resrouce for the time being.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 2, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi Magon,

I wouldn't have a clue what sp1 or sp2 is? I followed Cathal way of re-installing nvdia driver. What I notice is that when I went to control panel>program&features there was no nvdia drivers there! I thought that was strange because I initially uninstall 4 items with nvdia names attached to it (panel, etc) and installed the driver I downloaded from nvdia website using the correct driver. I then right click on computer and left click manage and uninstall  nvdia ge force 8600GT driver from device manager>display adapter. That took like 30 minutes and then I re-started the laptop. It automatically found the right driver and installed it. In other words I didn't use the downloaded nvdia driver to install again.

Problem still exist. When I click on the nvdia on my tray, it keeps saying an older version is being used and doesn't recognise my dvi connected monitor. My other is using a dvi/usb converter. What I have noticed is that although I had uninstall the nvdia driver, under programfiles>nvdia, all the newly downloaded driver is still there. I still have the same program and I am just a user so why the problem exists is beyond me except to migrate to win 7.

AJ

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:51 AM
  • Hi AJ,

As it kept saying an older version is being used, we may need uninstall the old version completely and then reinstall the latest version.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:04 AM
  • I thought I did. I'll have to uninstall over the week end and see if it works or else I am going to upgrade to window 7 and stop pissing around with this Vista. Should have just stayed with XP. Never had this kind of problem!

Thanks for your help guys.

AJ

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:35 AM