IMAP and POP3 problem RRS feed

• Question

• hi.  I need to transfer over to a POP3 account from the default IMAP, but cannot do it (or at least not that I can see).  I have a maximum email volume and this up to its maximum, but I dont want to delete emails within Outlook.  How can I change over to POP3 so that I can delete emails on the server without it deleting them from my inbox?

Also when I set up a second email account, Outlook never created the 'sent items', 'drafts' or other default 'boxes', and only created an 'Inbox'.  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can help me.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Roady

Thanks for your guidance ..... its solved all my problems!  I have created a duplicate POP3 account and copied every thing over and have now got it set to delete from my server!  Fantastic just what I wanted.  To boot, it also created all the other folders I was missing initially.  You've been exceptionally helpful even if you just pointed me the right direction!  Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:21 AM

All replies

• Which version of Outlook are you using?

To switch to a POP3 account, you must first add the POP3 account to Outlook. You can then copy over the folders/messages from your IMAP account and remove the IMAP account when you're done.

From the information provided, it is hard to state why the other folders weren't created. Do you see them in the Folder List Navigation (CTRL+6)?

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Hi Roady

Thanks for your guidance ..... its solved all my problems!  I have created a duplicate POP3 account and copied every thing over and have now got it set to delete from my server!  Fantastic just what I wanted.  To boot, it also created all the other folders I was missing initially.  You've been exceptionally helpful even if you just pointed me the right direction!  Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:21 AM