none
failed to initialize microsoft .net framework 4.0 or higher RRS feed

• Question

• Unable to launch many apps. Do not see it under the installed programs, when i try to install it, i get a notification saying it is already installed.

I uninstalled Kaspersky now i am unable to install it as there is no .Net Framework installed.

Kaspersky AV.

PLEASE ADVISE. 

• Edited by amk612 Tuesday, February 11, 2020 9:33 PM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 5:59 PM

All replies

• .NET Framework 4 is included in Windows 10 and can not be uninstalled.
    The notification that it is already installed is correct.

When a 3rd party software has installation problems, you should contact their support.

btw.: they have multiple products, so saying "I uninstalled Kaspersky"
    is as useless as saying "I uninstalled Microsoft"
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 9:31 PM
  • Many thanks for the response. 

I am constantly getting the error  Failed to initialize Microsoft.Net Framework 4.0. Please try to reinstall the platform'.

i've rebooted the machine as well as exhausted every possible avenue, Kaspersky AV was uninstalled. I started getting this pop-up since yesterday. 

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 9:37 PM
  • "Failed to initialize Microsoft.Net Framework 4.0" seems to be some error by them:
    Failed to initialize microsoft .net framework 4.0

You are of course trying to install a version which is compatible with Windows 10?
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 9:54 PM
  • Hello,

Check under Add or remove features applet, to confirm if you've .NET Framework installed.

If it is installed, recommend you to try .NET Framework Repair tool:

https://www.kapilarya.com/download-microsoft-net-framework-repair-tool-for-windows-10

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 5:35 AM
  • @Kapil: sorry, but you are wrong.

a clean install of Windows 10 will have no .NET Framework in "Add or Remove features",
    but the Framework is installed.
    see Mailbag: What version of the .NET Framework is included in what version of the OS?

• Edited by EckiS Wednesday, February 12, 2020 6:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2020 6:07 AM
  • HI amk612
    1.can you enter winver in command prompt on issue win10 computer and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    2." I started getting this pop-up since yesterday. ""Unable to launch many apps"
    can you remember when your problem happen ?did you do anything change so that cause your issue ?
    or do you install any windows update recently so that cause your .net broken ?
    we can enter below powershell command on issue win10 then check it.
    $QFE = Get-hotfix -computername $server | select-object -property Description,HotFixID,InstalledBy,InstalledOn | out-file c:\windows\temp\$server.txt
    change$server to hostname
    3.we can run below command in command prompt(open as admin) to check if there is system file error
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth  
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:03 AM
  • @Kapil: sorry, but you are wrong.

a clean install of Windows 10 will have no .NET Framework in "Add or Remove features",
    but the Framework is installed.
    see Mailbag: What version of the .NET Framework is included in what version of the OS?

Yes, .NET Framework is included with the OS as documented here: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/versions-and-dependencies

But as the OP is unable to launch some apps, it could be because of missing .NET Framework 3.5, 3.0, 2.0. In such case we recommend to install .NET Framework specifically using this guide:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows-10

After installation, .NET Framework 3.5 can be enabled/disabled from Add or remove features applet. So if OP have enabled .NET Framework 3.5 earlier, I just wanted them to check if version is still there.

My advice of running .NET Framework Repair tool still valid as per the situation :)

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 9:10 AM
  • Hi Kapil.........

Many thanks for the response, i did run the repair tool yesterday to no results.

Also just tried to install .NET 3.5 and 3.0 but it doesn't let me run it.

I am unable to run most applications along with PowerShell.  

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:54 PM
  • Hello Andy,

Many thanks for the reply, looks like i am up to date, 1909 OS build 18363.628.

I started seeing the pop-up as of Monday but i have been unable to open most applications since Friday. 

I am also unable to launch PowerShell.

I ran the updates on Friday and yesterday. 

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 2:57 PM
  • HI
    "I ran the updates on Friday"
    ”i have been unable to open most applications since Friday“. 
    4.we can check about below event log from 6/2 Thursday to 11/2 Monday on issue win10 and find the new thread about why cause this issue.
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS
    cbs.log and CbsPersist_202002xxxxxxxx.log
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    system

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:10 AM