Cannot open Word.doc from g-mail RRS feed

• Question

• I sometimes cannot open Word documents form g-mail.  What is strange is that a document can be opened from a g-mail message, but then when I close the document I cannot re-open it again.  There is no error message, just the little box with the flashlight "looking" for the document. As a test, I forwarded the e-mail attachment to my Yahoo account and had no issues yet.  I have Word 2007 and the operating system is Vista.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:50 PM

Answers

• Kevstar

I have seen this issue from other users of G-Mail.

The only solution I have seen has been to save the attachment to the local hard drive and open it from there.

GMail - Attachments - Help Center:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12844

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

------------------------------------
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:27 PM

All replies

• Kevstar

I have seen this issue from other users of G-Mail.

The only solution I have seen has been to save the attachment to the local hard drive and open it from there.

GMail - Attachments - Help Center:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12844

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

------------------------------------
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.  However, in order to save the document, it has to be downloaded and this once again leads to the problem.  This appears to e g-mail specific.  I have done more tests with forwarding the e-mail to my yahoo account and it opens just fine.

Monday, September 29, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

As this issue only happens on Gmail email accounts, I suggest contacting Gmail for directly assistance.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:29 AM