Document Conversion Errorserror: CE_BACKENDUNAVAILABLE EventID 6102, 5476 and 5448 RRS feed

• Question

• I've read through what feels like Gigabytes of webpages addressing the cause and resolution of these errors yet they still persist. I'll provide all the info I know about our setup in  the hopes that someone can help.

I have 2 web front ends that run the Launcher service and 1 server that runs the Load Balancer service. The WFE's do not run the Load balancer Service and the server running the Load balancer service does not run the Launcher Service.

The Launcher Service Settings in Central Admin Show the correct Load Balancer Server. Port number is listed as 8082 (I'm assuming this is what the launcher communicates to the Balancer on but couldn't find any info on it).

The registry LauncherSettings  on the web front ends AND the Load Balancer server for LoadBalanceUrl point to http://domainname:8093/HtmlTrLoadBalancer. The port entry reads 8082

The registry LoadBalancerSettings only show the Port key set to 8093.

The Load Balancer Settings in Central Admin for the Comunication scheme is https. It says this should match what is in the config xml file for the load balancer server, however, I do not see any entry in the log for this. here is the contents of that file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="HtmlTransform">

<section name="LoadBalancerSettings" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<HtmlTransform>

<LoadBalancerSettings>

<add key="keyPort" value="8093"/>

<add key="keyMyURL" value=""/>

<!-- can be "RoundRobin" or "ShortestQueue" -->

<add key="keyBalanceScheme" value="ShortestQueue"/>

</LoadBalancerSettings>

</HtmlTransform>

<system.runtime.remoting>

<application>

<service>

<wellknown mode="Singleton" type="Microsoft.Office.HtmlTrans.HtmlTrLoadBalancer,Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions.LoadBalancer" objectUri="HtmlTrLoadBalancer"/>

</service>

</application>

</system.runtime.remoting>

</configuration>

The Config for the Launcher is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="HtmlTransform">

<section name="LauncherSettings" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

<section name="ExtensionToAppMappings" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<HtmlTransform>

<LauncherSettings>

<add key="keyUseSinglecall" value="false"/>

<add key="keyLoadBalancerURI" value=""/>

<add key="keyTransAppFolder" value=""/>

<add key="keyOutputFolder" value=""/>

<add key="keyAllowedCrashesBeforeBlacklisting" value="2"/>

<add key="keyNumMultiCallsBeforeReboot" value="20"/>

<add key="keyPort" value="8082"/>

<!-- add key="keyIPExclude" value="192\.168\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}" / -->

</LauncherSettings>

<ExtensionToAppMappings>

<add key="doc" value="wwxlate.exe"/>

<add key="xls" value="xlxlate.exe"/>

<add key="ppt" value="pptxlate.exe"/>

<add key="pps" value="pptxlate.exe"/>

</ExtensionToAppMappings>

</HtmlTransform>

<system.runtime.remoting>

<application>

<service>

<wellknown mode="Singleton" type="Microsoft.Office.HtmlTrans.HtmlTrLauncher,Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions.Launcher" objectUri="HtmlTrLauncher"/>

</service>

</application>

</system.runtime.remoting>

</configuration>

The port number is set to 8093 (for Load Balancer Service Settings in Central Admin)

The Launcher Service runs under the Local System Account and is allowed to interact with the desktop.

The Load Balancer runs under the Network Service Account.

When anything is done to a setting we restart Balancer and then the launchers utilizing the stsadm command.

Our SharePoint logs show the following 2 errors:

12/20/2010 12:34:56.33  Microsoft.Office.Server.Convers (0x1AFC) 0x1B20 Document Conversions           Launcher Service               6102 Critical LoadBalancer.RegisterLauncher failed:  Unable to connect to the remote server 

12/20/2010 12:34:56.33  Microsoft.Office.Server.Convers (0x1AFC) 0x1B20 Document Conversions           Launcher Service               7jgs Medium   Loadbalancer not running or available to launcher id 1 

The servers are all pingable from each other so Im not sure if that is the issue. I also checked the host files on each machine to insure that they were looking in the right place.

The HVU_machineName user has logon locally rights. It is a member of the Guest account which I thought was odd but I'm assuming that is the default.

The last bit of info I can report is that at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Bin on one of our launchers (it is not on the other launcher server)  there is a folder called HtmlTrLauncher. When I click on this directory (whether logged in with my SA account or as the CA user) I get a popup error that reads "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Bin\HtmlTrLauncher is not accessible. \n Access is denied." I do not know if this is by design or is an issue I should try to resolve (not sure how though). Right-Click property shows that HVU has full control as does the system account.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

More Info: Launchers stay in 'starting' status if started via Central Admin. When starting via stsadmin the status changes to 'started'

More info: used netstat to verify ports 8082 and 8093 are being listened to

• Edited by KansasCoder Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:22 PM more details
    Monday, December 20, 2010 11:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• This has been up for 15 hours without a comment. I would be open to hearing about ways to troubelshoot this. I'm new to SharePoint so I'm open to anything.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:11 PM
  • This is known bug. You have to apply a fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962928 . The fix is for Search service but Document Conversions Launcher uses the same SSL for communication.

Oleg
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:15 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

We have three servers in our farm. Does this get applied to all three or only the servers running the LoadBalancer?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:13 PM
  • I suggest you to apply fix on all servers. Moreover sometime .NET patches can screw up this fix.
    Oleg
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:16 PM
  • I checked our servers and all three of the hotfixes are already applied. Also our Search is not having any issues. I don't know if it is possible to confirm that the certs are corrupted but I'm wondering if, given the above, this fix is needed. Can the ssl certs be recreated after the service packs have been installed?

Thank you!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:09 PM
  • How did you figure out that the fix has been applied? You have to run selfssl /s:951338967 /v:1000 manually for 64 bit OS or selfssl /s:1720207907 /v:1000 for 32 bit. For me this fix helped.

Oleg
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:24 PM
  • I was able to see that the hotfixes (not the 'fix' as in the article you sent) had been applied by looking at the Add/Remove Programs snapin and selecting Show Updates. I then could see that the 3 HotFixes had been applied. I do not know whether or not the selfssl was ever run.  My concern is that running selfssl when there isn't an issue with search, and also that it would run after the hotfixes have been applied (which goes against what is prescribed in the article you linked too) might foul something up.

Maybe those hotfixes do something after selfssl is run to associate the cert with search and document conversions, which wouldn't get done when applied out of order?

Thank you!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:52 PM
  • I just shared my expirience. This fix affects internal SSL communications in SharePoint. Moreover Search will work fine if you use dedicated IndexQuery server.

Oleg
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:13 PM
  • OK. Well that helps. I'll llok into the possibility of reissuing the ssl certs for Microsoft Office Server and will mark this post appropriately when a resolution has been found.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:29 PM
  • No solution yet. The HVU user is a member of the guest account which on our system is disabled. I made him a member of the Users Group and will do an iisreset at some point.

I did not go the ssl certificate route since our search is working fine so I am assuming this means the ssl is not corrupted.

Saturday, January 8, 2011 2:04 AM