1903 update Disk Install Limits RRS feed

• Question

• I read where 1903 will not install into devices with less than 32gb disks. I have an 2013 w4-820 that has a 64gb Emmc disk with about 56-to 58Gb showing in disk management. It has 22gb of free space. Will 1903 install to this device? TIA
    • Edited by rocketjetz Monday, April 29, 2019 11:16 PM edit for accuracy
    Sunday, April 28, 2019 8:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

Yes, according to Microsoft's official documents, the lowest storage capacity of Win10 1903 is 32G.

Although from Leon's experimental results, we can install it in storage with available space less than 32G, but from Microsoft's point of view, we do not recommend it.

If you decide to do so, I think you can try Leon's advice.

But from my personal point of view, it might be a better choice to configure a larger storage for Win10 1903.

Hope this information can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 29, 2019 2:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The minimum of required disk space for Windows 10 version 1903 actually is 32 GB or greater.

Reference:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/minimum-hardware-requirements-overview#33-storage

However I tested by installing a fresh Windows 10 version 1903 on a virtual machine with 22GB of total disk space (free space), and it installed successfully with around 4.5GB of free space left.

So yes you should be able to install the update, also note the following changes:

Reserved Storage
    Starting with Windows 10 version 1903, May 2019 Update (formerly April 2019 Update), Microsoft is introducing “Reserved Storage,” which is a new feature that sets aside part of your device available storage to reduce problems upgrading to a new version or installing updates as a result of not enough space.

Reserved Storage will set aside around 7GB of storage for updates, temporary files, system cache, and apps. When a new update is available, Windows 10 will delete the files located in the reserved storage automatically to make room to install the update.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Sunday, April 28, 2019 10:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

Yes, according to Microsoft's official documents, the lowest storage capacity of Win10 1903 is 32G.

Although from Leon's experimental results, we can install it in storage with available space less than 32G, but from Microsoft's point of view, we do not recommend it.

If you decide to do so, I think you can try Leon's advice.

But from my personal point of view, it might be a better choice to configure a larger storage for Win10 1903.

Hope this information can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 29, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 1:48 AM