none
Delete User verses Deactivate a User RRS feed

• Question

• [Implementing PS2010; on the pilot rollout for PMO]

I'm seeing recommendations not to delete users but rather deactivate them.  I had a security setting wrong for a PM user role accidently giving them the ability to add to the resource pool...  We have about 10 pilot projects loaded and every resource that was added, the system also generated them as a "user".  If I delete all the "users/resources" and start from scratch adding them in as a "resource only, not a user through PWA (not project professional) will this create any future issues?  I don't know if the GUID used on a deleted user/resource will be the problem when I create the same "named one" again?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:43 PM

Answers

• K-Dee --

Uh oh, I feel a lecture coming on.  And here it comes:  DO NOT change the default settings for any of the security Groups in Project Server 2010 until you know the result of the change.  And furthermore, control all security settings for your users by adding them to the default security Groups in Project Server 2010.  And DO NOT add your users to Categories, and DO NOT set Global Permissions for any of your users, as they inherit the Categories and Global Permissions from the security Groups to which they belong.

OK, I will now back off for a moment and catch my breath.  Your question in this public forum explains your question in the other public forum.  When your PMs imported their projects into Project Server 2010, your mistaken security setting allowed them to import their local resources into Project Server 2010 as enterprise resources.  In this situation, if those resources DO NOT belong in the Project Server 2010 system, then by all means you should delete them.

But, if the resources added mistakenly to the system are actually valid resources, then I would leave them alone.  Correct the spelling of names, specify custom enterprise Resource field values as needed, but do not delete them.

The question for you is whether these resources do belong in the system, or not?  If not, delete them.  If they do belong, leave them.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:38 PM

All replies

• K-Dee --

Uh oh, I feel a lecture coming on.  And here it comes:  DO NOT change the default settings for any of the security Groups in Project Server 2010 until you know the result of the change.  And furthermore, control all security settings for your users by adding them to the default security Groups in Project Server 2010.  And DO NOT add your users to Categories, and DO NOT set Global Permissions for any of your users, as they inherit the Categories and Global Permissions from the security Groups to which they belong.

OK, I will now back off for a moment and catch my breath.  Your question in this public forum explains your question in the other public forum.  When your PMs imported their projects into Project Server 2010, your mistaken security setting allowed them to import their local resources into Project Server 2010 as enterprise resources.  In this situation, if those resources DO NOT belong in the Project Server 2010 system, then by all means you should delete them.

But, if the resources added mistakenly to the system are actually valid resources, then I would leave them alone.  Correct the spelling of names, specify custom enterprise Resource field values as needed, but do not delete them.

The question for you is whether these resources do belong in the system, or not?  If not, delete them.  If they do belong, leave them.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:38 PM
  • LOL...lecture no, more like great advice!  I've taken these last few days to ensure our security templates match OTB; our OTB groups match the security templates.  I hadn't changed anything OTB; I had created a new group and tried setting permissions myself.  I've gone back to my ORANGE book (MSProjectExperts) and the library here at technet.  I'm going to get this categories/gobal to groups then assign users to groups thing if it's the last...  :)

Help me grasp this:  I have a high quantity of people that only need to view the Project Team Site only.  From what I can gather, they still need to be in the resource pool so a PM can add them to the "build team" and they would inhereit "reader" rights on the team sitrom being a "user", I did what you suggested on my other forum question...From project professional, add resource, save, go to PWA resource center, deselect "can log in"...however, when I went to server settings> manage users...they showed active on this list.  Since you can add resources to the pool a couple of different ways, how can I get them to the pool where they are not automatically a user?  I guess I'm concerned about the user piece because it adds to my "license" count and most of these would have any responsibility to log into PWA anyway.   

• Marked as answer by K-Dee Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by K-Dee Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:11 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:43 PM