none
what does it mean to backup a share? RRS feed

• Question

• When backing up a windows server I have the option of backing up a volume, and also backing up shares. If I choose to back up a share, does that backup the data in the share or only the fact that it is a share. If I do not back up shares and restore all the data in a volume, would the shares be restored or would I have to reassign them?
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

From a protection point of view, there is not much difference, DPM will protect the files the same way.  The only difference being how you are selecting the subset of files to protect.  
    If you have a large volume that contains lots of files, but not all files are under shares, then using only share protection will miss protecting those files not located under the shares being protected.

Kind Regards
    Markus

Thursday, June 11, 2015 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

What Markus said is true.

To answer your question about the restoring the actual share versus the data under the share,  Shares and share permissions are registry based, so you would need to take systemstate backups to backup the registry. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 5:33 PM