"The Timer lock was overridden ... timer service may be malfunctioning" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m seeing the following warning message mostly in 5 minutes interval when it comes. Sometimes there are some intervals. This is a MOSS 2007 farm (August 2010 CU) with 2 WFEs, 1 App Server and 1 SQL 2005 Server. I get this message in all 3 SharePoint servers and sometimes it complains about “Timer service on Web02 may be malfunctioning”. I’m trying to troubleshoot this issue – has anyone any lead on this?

There is not anything more on the ULS logs.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

==================================================

Event Type:             Warning

Event Source:          Windows SharePoint Services 3

Event Category:       Timer

Event ID:  5219

Date:                       4/6/2011

Time:                       1:45:44 PM

User:                       N/A

Computer:               WEB02

Description:

The timer lock for Web server 'APP' was overridden by Web server 'WEB02' because the lock had not been refreshed within the 20 minute timeout.  The timer service on 'APP' may be malfunctioning.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

BlueSky2010
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:40 PM Quotes put around the error message. The ... (with the quotes, note) indicate missing text in the error message. No other use of ... in Titles is permitted.
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This problem might be related to DB server but i am not sure about it. Please check below URL's

http://blog.jussipalo.com/2008/10/moss-timer-lock-for-web-server-was.html

http://blog.jussipalo.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

Let us know if it works

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Thank you Hememdra for the links - error messages are the same but in my case there are no "Could not open a connection to SQL Server" errors as the author indicated.

Any other suggestions?

BlueSky2010
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:24 PM
  • This refers back to the same blog you found before :-)

Looks like not many people seeing this warning. I'm very unique, uh?

BlueSky2010
    Friday, April 8, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Not sure if these two are related but I have another Timer error popping up time to time (could not figure out any pattarn on this one). But more frequent on the App server than the WEFs. Also those GUIDs differ in one of the WFE error.

I'm troubleshooting few workflow issues and trying to determine whether these two are contributing to the issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3

Event Category: Timer 

Event ID: 6772

Date: 4/20/2011

Time: 11:00:00 AM

User: N/A

Computer: APP

Description:

There was an internal error invoking the timer job '{FD730E80-C470-4D92-B0E5-F57C98ABDF4A}' for service '{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

BlueSky2010
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:23 PM
  • did you ever resolve this?  I am having the same issue and can't find much on this issue
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Hi Illyena,

Check to see if any of your Windows SharePoint Services Timer service (from services.msc) is restarting in any of the WFE's for any reason. In our case we actually scripted to restart these timer services every couple of minutes (based on a TechNET article) to expedite the workflow performance. Turned out that was causing these warning messages.

Hope this helps!

BlueSky2010
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:03 PM