none
These api-ms-win-* included in which update, SDK, VS or VC? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 8.1 on an HP Envy m6 notebook.

I've traced a problem on my wife's computer to all of the api-ms-win-* dll's missing except the api-ms-win-crt* ones. We have identical computers that we bought at the same time at the same store, but my computer has all the dll's that are needed for the application that is failing, that are missing on her computer. I see a possibility that some Windows Update containing those dll's failed on her computer, even though her Windows Update seems to be working correctly. Is there any way to find out if those dll's were contained in some update, or if they can be replaced by installing the SDK or some version of VS or VC?

Thursday, November 22, 2018 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

As you guessed, the missing dll's are installed with a Windows update. 

It is recommended that you try to download and install the Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows from Microsoft.

Maybe they can be replaced by installing the SDK or some version of VS or VC.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by jimhabegger Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:03 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is recommended that you try to download and install the Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows from Microsoft.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by jimhabegger Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:03 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 7:49 PM
  • Hurry, thank you. It might be a few days before I find a convenient time to install it. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Friday, November 23, 2018 12:20 AM
  • Hi,

I'm glad to hear that your question was successfully resolved.

Wish you a happy life.

Best regards,

Hurry

Friday, November 23, 2018 5:39 AM
  • Hurry, I'm having some doubts and questions about the Universal C Runtime update, as a solution to my problem. According to the article, it only has 4 of the 21 dll's that I need, and none of them are in the Windows 8.1 version of the update. The 8.1 version only has the api-ms-win-crt-* dll's, which are not the ones I need. Also, the Update for Universal C Runtime seems to be another name for KB2999226, which according to Windows Update is already installed on my wife's computer. That raises another question. Do applications created by the SDK search in the subfolders of the System32 folder for the dll's they need? If so, then the Univeral C Runtime update won't do me any good at all. The four dll's that I need that are in the Universal Runtime update, are in her System32\downlevel folder. That still leaves 17 dll's that are needed by rasman.dll, that are not in my wife's System32 folder or any of its subfolders, and not in the Universal C Runtime update, according to the article. My System32 folder has all of them.

I see that the Visual C++ versions on her computer and mine are not all the same. Is there any way to find out if some version of Visual C++ will install all the dll's that I need? That raises another question. How is it possible for the rasman.dll on her computer to be calling dll's that are not there?

The ones that are needed, that are not in my wife's System32 folder, are api-ms-win-core-delayload-l1-1-1, api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-1.dll, api-ms-win-core-handle-l1-1-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-heap-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-heap-obsolete-l1-1-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-kernel32-legacy-l1-1-1.dll, api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-processenvironment-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-processthreads-l1-1-2.dll, api-ms-win-core-profile-l1-1-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-psapi-obsolete-l1-1-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-registry-l1-1-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-string-l1-1-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-string-l2-1-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-string-obsolete-l1-1-0, api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-core-sysinfo-l1-2-1.dll, api-ms-win-security-base-l1-2-0.dll, api-ms-win-security-sddl-l1-1-0, api-ms-win-service-management-l1-1-0, and api-ms-win-service-winsvc-l1-2-0

Four of those are in the downlevel folder, but the others are not on my wife's computer at all, and they are on mine.

Friday, November 23, 2018 11:23 PM
  • Hurry, as you might see from my previous post, the dll's I'm looking for are the ones I see referenced in rasman.dll. The VPN apps on my wife's computer are unable to create new connections, and I think it's because the Remote Access Connection Manager fails to start. According to the event log. RasMan "failed to start because it could not load one or more communication DLLs." Looking in rasman.dll, I see it referencing 21 api-* dll's that are not in my wife's System32 folder, but which are all in mine. The only api-* dll's in her System32 folder are all api-ms-win-crt-* dll's, which according to the KB2999226 article are exactly the same ones that are in the 8.1 version of the Update for Universal C Runtime. My System32 folder has those, and dozens of other api-ms-win-* dll's besides those, including all the ones referenced in rasman.dll. Where did those dll's come from on my computer? If they are not native to the 8.1 system, then why is the 8.1 version of rasman.dll linking to them dynamically? If rasman.dll has been updated to the new architecture in 8.1, and if that results in it linking dynamically to those dll's, then why are those dll's not included in the 8.1 version of the Universal CRT update?

However that may be, rasman.dll on my wife's 8.1 system is trying to load dll's that are not in that system. I would like to find some safe way to install those dll's on her system, preferably by installing some software from Microsoft. I'm thinking that some version of Visual C++, Visual Studio or SDK might install them. Surely there is some way to find out if one of those installs the dll's that I need?

If I can't find any better way to install those dll's, I might just try copying them from my computer to hers. We have identical computers that we bought at the same time, in the same store.

Saturday, November 24, 2018 12:27 AM
  • Hurry, the dll's that rasman.dll is trying to load, that are missing in my wife's System32 folder, are all in my System32 folder. The only difference that I can think of between them in their history, besides not installing all the same software, is that I've had to refresh the system on mine because it was hanging up on bad clusters on the hard drive. I refreshed the system, then had it updated by Windows Update, and re-installed all the desktop apps. Somehow that has resulted in my System32 folder having dozens of api-* dll's that are not on my wife's computer, including all the ones that are referenced in rasman.dll.  I'm still wondering why KB2999226 does not include all the api-* dll's that rasman.dll links to dynamically, unless they're presumed to have already been installed by previous updates. According to Windows Update on my wife's computer, KB2919355 and KB2999226 are both installed. If some of the dll's that rasman.dll links to dynamically are not part of the original 8.1 system, then wouldn't they have been installed by one or another of those updates? And yet they are not there. All I can think of is that they are installed with some version of Visual C++ Redistributable that everyone presumes will be on everyone's computer.
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 2:19 AM
  • More clues: The only api-* dll's on my wife's computer are the api-ms-win-crt-* ones. My computer has those, plus dozens of other api-* dll's, including all the ones that are referenced in rasman.dll. The api-ms-win-crt-* dll's are all dated April 26 2018, on both computers. All the other api-* dll's on my computer are dated August 22 2013.
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

Best regards,

Hurry

Hurry, thank you again for trying to help me. You said that the missing dll's are included in the Update for Universal C Runtime. In one of my posts above, I've listed the dll's that rasman.dll is looking for on my wife's computer. I could just try installing the Update for Universal C Runtime, and see if it installs those dll's, but if possible I would like to see some documentation of that, before I try it. According to all the documentation that I've been able to find, that update will *not* install any dll's on my wife's computer that are not already on it. Is there some documentation that I can find on the Internet, or that you can show me, that lists the dll's that will be installed by the Update for Universal C Runtime?
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 4:34 PM
  • Hurry, I've decided not to try to fix the problem for now, but I still would like to know where my system found all the dlls that are named in rasman.dll, in the last two weeks. I refreshed my system two weeks ago, and it has allthose dlls. Where did it find them?
    Sunday, November 25, 2018 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

Depending on your description, it is recommended that you recreate a new Microsoft post.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Hurry

Monday, November 26, 2018 2:22 PM
  • Hurry, I downloaded the Windows 10 SDK, to install it on my computer and see if includes the dlls I'm looking for, but before I installed it, I discovered that my computer already has a \Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10 folder, and that folder has a Tools\bin\i386 folder which contains 15 of the 21 dlls I'm looking for. Those are the same 17 dlls that are in the System32\downlevel folder on both of our computers.

To review my situation, the event log on my wife's computer says that RasMan is failing to start because it can't load one or more communication dll's. Searching through rasman.dll with WordPad, I find the names of 21 api-ms-win-* dlls that are all in my System32 folder, but not in hers. These are *not* api-ms-win-crt-* dlls. They are 17 api-ms-win-core-* dlls, 2 api-ms-win-security-* dlls, and 2 api-ms-win-service-* dlls. Of those 21 api-ms-win-* dlls named in rasman.dll, 15 of them are in the System32\downlevel folder, which is identical on both our computers. The other 6 are not anywhere on her computer at all. That corresponds exactly to the dlls that I found in the Windows Kits\10\Tools\bin\i386 folder on my computer. That Windows 10 SDK folder has the same 17 dlls named in rasman.dll that are in the the System32\downlevel folder, which is the same on both of our computers, and does not have the same 6 dlls that are in my System32 folder, but which are not anywhere on my wife's computer.

Now I'll be trying to find out if there is some other SDK that has those other 6 api-* dlls that are named in rasman.dll, which are in my System32 folder, but not anywhere on my wife's computer. If so, then I will need to know the right way to install those on her computer.

Monday, November 26, 2018 11:20 PM
  • Hurry, I'm sorry. All this time, when I've been looking at my wife's System32 folder, it wasn't showing the hidden files. All the dlls I've been looking for are there, but they're hidden!
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:01 AM
  • Hurry, I'm sorry. All this time, when I've been looking at my wife's System32 folder, it wasn't showing the hidden files. All the dlls I've been looking for are there, but they're hidden!
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 6:12 AM