none
Find the Manager for Group RRS feed

• General discussion

• If this isn't a good place to ask this question I applogize in adavance if you could provide a link to the correct area I should ask/post this I would appreciate it. Otherwise...

The end goal is to fill in the Managedby atribute for a lot of secuirty groups with a correct manager. I have a list of a 2100 groups and I have a data share that has like 10 petabytes of data in 3000 different directories, roughly. The point is there is a lot. At this point I'm just trying to identify who should be the manager for group.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this any and all advice/suggestions is apprecited. Even it is go pound sand, newby...hopefully not but I'll understand if it is :-)

Found this searching

Thanks in Adavance

• Edited by John-Barrett Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:45 PM
    • Changed type John-Barrett Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:46 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:28 PM

All replies

• This is something that has nothing to do with scripting.  You have to choose who the manager is.  Why would you think this has anything to do with scripting?

Choose a manager and fill in the group.  What is you AD design?  How are you departmented?  What does you org chart look like?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:14 PM
  • Fair enough...Sorry for wasteing your time, but thank you for your help

Thanks in Adavance

Friday, February 14, 2014 12:45 AM
  • Fair enough...Sorry for wasteing your time, but thank you for your help

Thanks in Adavance

You are not wasting anyone's time it is just that there is no way to answer your question.  These decisions are based on your organization.  Scripts cannot decide who manages who.  You need to get with your management and implement an org chart.  The org chart gets directly tied to groups.  It starts with the org chart.  Each position gets a group and the manager or exec is the owner of the group.

In most companies this may be delegated since so many managers and execs are computer illiterate.  The delegate becomes the group manager and manages resource allocation through group membership.

This is Active Directory deployment 101.  I recommend contacting a certified consultant to help you set this up.  It is fundamental and critical.  I cannot understand how you can have a large AD deployment without having a formal design document.  It probably exists but those that know it have been let go to save money.  Now you are lost in limbo.

Do more research.  Ask a lot of questions.  Be a detective and see if you can find the original documents.  If you succeed you will be a hero.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, February 14, 2014 1:15 AM